Author Topic: Justin Maxwell - You were saying?  (Read 3629 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Justin Maxwell - You were saying?
« Topic Start: August 30, 2007, 12:53:31 AM »
A Stretch That's Nothing to Sneeze At

By Barry Svrluga
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, August 29, 2007; Page E07

-

There was no way Justin Maxwell could have known that, when he sneezed earlier this summer, it would stunt his development. The outfielder and University of Maryland product had just been promoted from low-Class A Hagerstown to high-Class A Potomac, and the sneeze caused him to strain an oblique muscle. He immediately went into a slump.

Now, though, he has come out of it -- way out of it. In his last seven games for Potomac, Maxwell is hitting .423 (11 for 26) with three doubles, two homers and eight RBI. Between Hagerstown and Potomac, he has 24 homers (10 since his June 12 promotion), which is most of any player in the Washington system.

Maxwell, 23, is hitting .282 with 76 RBI between the two levels. Don't be surprised if you see him with the Nationals when Potomac's season ends.

Maxwell is one of six Nationals who will play for Peoria in the Arizona Fall League, joining RHPs Adam Carr, Garrett Mock, Zech Zinicola and C Jesus Flores.

Offline Dave B

Re: Justin Maxwell - You were saying?
« Reply #1: August 30, 2007, 01:13:22 PM »
Good to see. 

I think we should bring him up and let him play every day, or at least somebody like him, one of the guys who is kinda old for Class A and whose development has been stunted by injuries.

I think our OF should be Pena, Logan, and Maxwell.  Kearns isnt going to do much to change his standing for next year. He is going to be here and we need to hope he gets better.  The three mentioned we need to find out about.  Nook has resurrected himself and we need to see if he can sustain his performance so we can make an informed decision. 

Although FR has said not to put too much stock in September numbers and he might have had a point. I think Schneider has had two blistering Septembers and Byrd had one too only to tank the next season. However he has gotten good again.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2: August 30, 2007, 01:24:28 PM »
While everyone is salivating for Rowand (me too), management may opt to stand pat, go with Logan and the promise of Maxwell being ready mid-season in '08.  If they think Maxwell is the real deal, (and being a Terp he probably is) then why spend the big bucks for the same position?

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: August 30, 2007, 03:56:55 PM »
While everyone is salivating for Rowand (me too), management may opt to stand pat, go with Logan and the promise of Maxwell being ready mid-season in '08.  If they think Maxwell is the real deal, (and being a Terp he probably is) then why spend the big bucks for the same position?

How many teams' fans do you think are in tune with the minor league systems as we are?

How many teams' fans would say "Hey, if we dont get Rowand, it might not be so bad, because we have a minor leaguer who might be able to do it"

Maybe it is because of once being owned by MLB that we have all become financially conscious fans. We dont just want to win. We want to do it cheaply and not kill ourselves with stupid signings.

If we were to sign a marquee guy for a lot of years and a lot of money, I'm pretty sure half would be excited and the other half would be worried about how the guy was going to perform in year 6 and 7 when he is 35 years old.  Whereas in most other places (my only other experience is NY), I think nobody would care about money and year and would just say "We got (Marquee Player)!"

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #4: August 30, 2007, 04:15:23 PM »
I think it is because right now we are a team with no tradition. Most of us in this area don't embrace the Montreal days. What we have here is a highly intelligent core fan base. We all know a lot about baseball and are the types of fans that will be around no matter the record. We know names like Burgess, King, Gibson, and Hassan. When this team gets better and the noncore fans start jumping on the bandwagon I bet the overall intelligence of our discussions will drop.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5: August 30, 2007, 04:56:34 PM »
When this team gets better and the noncore fans start jumping on the bandwagon I bet the overall intelligence of our discussions will drop.

right. i hypothesized that a year or so ago.  yankees and mets boards are nonsense and you have to weed through a ton of crap to get to anything you want to read

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: August 30, 2007, 09:30:44 PM »
Maxwell hit 2 homers tonight!   :worship:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: May 21, 2008, 01:21:50 PM »
From Baseball Prospectus (Kevin Goldstein) 5/21/08:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=7553

Senators In The Outfield: The Double-A club at Harrisburg has one of the most productive outfields in the league, and while one of its members is 29-year-old Jorge Padilla, the remaining pair are legitimate prospects who could force their way into Washington's plans over the next two years. A tools monster who was beset by injuries throughout his college career, Jason Maxwell is a 6'5", 245-pound beast who draws physical comparisons to Dave Winfield. While he's hitting just .246 this year, he's showing plenty of secondary skills, with a .386 on-base percentage, a .486 slugging mark, and 13 stolen bases–-which was good enough for one scout to see him as an everyday outfielder in the big leagues. "He's got power, speed and on-base skills," commented the scout. "He has good hitting fundamentals, a feel for the strike zone and easy game power–-I saw him hit a ball 430 feet to dead center. I think you could see him real soon–-he's very exciting."

Kevin Goldstein is an author of Baseball Prospectus. You can contact Kevin by clicking here or click here to see Kevin's other articles.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #8: May 21, 2008, 01:28:37 PM »
6'5" 245?! Seemed kinda wiry to me last year. "Beast" was not a word I would have used to describe him. But whatever, as long as he is progressing and shows promise, I wont get hung up on it.

Maybe Dukes and Pena have redefined my definition of beast OFers

« Reply #9: May 21, 2008, 01:30:33 PM »
I think you could see him real soon–-he's very exciting."

Yes, we know. That is why the Nats FO is scared of him. He might actually be productive and get fans into the game.

I am terrified what Lenny Harris would do to this kid.

Love his rookie card.

Offline houston-nat

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #12: May 21, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
Maxwell's combination of size and speed reminds me of Derrek Lee. Now if he can only become the type of hitter that Lee is... :pray:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: May 21, 2008, 04:34:39 PM »
Maxwell's combination of size and speed reminds me of Derrek Lee. Now if he can only become the type of hitter that Lee is... :pray:

Ronny, are you starting to get chills?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #14: May 21, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »
Ronny, are you starting to get chills?

Haha. If we had a player like Derrek Lee, the chills would actually make sense. :lol:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #15: May 21, 2008, 04:42:33 PM »
We have some funny ass people on this site.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #16: May 21, 2008, 05:25:31 PM »
Maybe we should just make CHILLS OF EXCITEMENT!  the official forum byline :lol:

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #17: May 21, 2008, 08:57:54 PM »
Things that give normal people a chill of excitement (not in order):

1) Wedding day
2) Buying your first house
3) Graduation
4) First born child
5) A Hot Date

Offline blue911

« Reply #18: May 22, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »
Things that give normal people a chill of excitement (not in order):

1) Wedding day
2) Buying your first house
3) Graduation
4) First born child
5) A Hot Date

Donuts

Offline Dave B

« Reply #19: May 22, 2008, 08:46:40 AM »
Maybe we should just make CHILLS OF EXCITEMENT!  the official forum byline :lol:

YES YES YES YES YES

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #20: May 22, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »
Donuts
Ritter's Frozen Custard

Mmmmmmm!

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #21: May 23, 2008, 06:11:21 PM »
An old thread not bumped by me!!!!  :woop: :woop:

« Reply #22: May 28, 2008, 02:44:23 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #23: May 28, 2008, 02:54:40 PM »
One more reason Langerhans was brought up, Maxwell had an injury we didn't know about.