Author Topic: MLB-Watching (Offseasons 2009-10)  (Read 9854 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: MLB-Watching (Offseasons 2009-10)
« Reply #150: February 12, 2010, 02:00:28 PM »
With 23 million on the table, they might want to have insurance docs/do the physical inline with insurer requirements

Jeff Bagwell style? Makes perfect sense.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #151: February 17, 2010, 10:49:44 AM »
Ugh, this really, really pains me to admit, but I think the Orioles might be decent this year for the first time in forever.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #152: February 17, 2010, 10:53:53 AM »
Ugh, this really, really pains me to admit, but I think the Orioles might be decent this year for the first time in forever.

their core is definately comming together- in any other division I would give them a good chance

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #153: February 17, 2010, 12:39:33 PM »
:lmao:

« Reply #154: February 17, 2010, 12:52:59 PM »

Decent in the AL East means absolutely nothing. They'll be battling to stay out of the cellar.

• pissy DC sports fan

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #156: February 17, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »
Decent in the AL East means absolutely nothing. They'll be battling to stay out of the cellar.

PECOTA has Baltimore finishing 4th with 79 wins, vs. Toronto 5th with only 71.  Toronto's really headed downhill fast.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #157: February 17, 2010, 01:27:59 PM »
PECOTA has Baltimore finishing 4th with 79 wins, vs. Toronto 5th with only 71.  Toronto's really headed downhill fast.

I think they've got a realistic shot at 3rd.  Tampa's a couple of injuries away from being a 70 win team.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #158: February 17, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
I think they've got a realistic shot at 3rd.  Tampa's a couple of injuries away from being a 70 win team.
So is Baltimore.  Or most teams for that matter...

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #159: February 17, 2010, 01:31:33 PM »
So is Baltimore.  Or most teams for that matter...

I know you are but what am I?

:P

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #160: February 17, 2010, 01:33:27 PM »
I think they've got a realistic shot at 3rd.  Tampa's a couple of injuries away from being a 70 win team.
Injuries to whom?  Certainly not the rotation, which is six-deep with legit young arms.
Yeah, Toronto is going to have a tough time this year.  The Orioles have a pretty solid rotation for once with Matusz, Milwood, Guthrie, Bergesen, and Uehara or Tillman.  Their line-up fills out well aside from Izturis.  I really hope it doesn't happen, though.  I'd hate to see them improve faster than the Nats.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #161: February 17, 2010, 02:09:27 PM »
Bergesen is injured. Guthrie has flamed out. Milwood is an average veteran who will likely decline. Uehara is mediocre. Tillman looked unimpressive and got rocked last year in the Majors. Matusz should be decent but he's still inexperienced.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #162: February 17, 2010, 02:17:05 PM »
Injuries to whom?  Certainly not the rotation, which is six-deep with legit young arms.

They're thin in position players.  If they were to lose Longoria and Zobrist (for example) that would be a huge blow - or Zobrist/Crawford, or Longoria/Crawford. 

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but I'm saying it's easy to see where it would be strongly possible.  I think Toronto's going to be really bad this year - I know they did o.k. in the Halladay trade, but thiey did just lose Roy Halladay and Tampa looks strong but (unlike Boston and New York) they can't afford injuries and if they get a couple of injuries the Orioles could pass them and still only have to win 75 games.

I'm not saying the O's will compete with Boston and New York, but I can see a bunch of ways they can compete with Tampa.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #163: February 17, 2010, 02:21:37 PM »
Bergesen is injured. Guthrie has flamed out. Milwood is an average veteran who will likely decline. Uehara is mediocre. Tillman looked unimpressive and got rocked last year in the Majors. Matusz should be decent but he's still inexperienced.

Bergesen is fine.  Guthrie is loads better than some of the free agent options out there.  Millwood's not there to be the ace of the staff.  12 starts.  12 starts.  Rookie.

You got anything else?  

I like the Orioles lineup too.  You put them in the NL east and they're probably behind the Phillies and Braves, other than that, I could see them ahead of us, Florida and the Mets.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #164: February 17, 2010, 02:23:13 PM »
The O's are perpetually screwed by division alignment. Their best case scenerio is making a run similiar to the Rays and hoping to compete for one year knowing they don't have the money to stay at the top.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #165: February 17, 2010, 02:23:21 PM »
Bergesen is fine.  Guthrie is loads better than some fot he free agent options out there.  Millwood's not there to be the ace of the staff.  12 starts.  12 starts.  Rookie.

You got anything else? 

I imagine if the same talent was on the Nats his descriptions would go something like this.

Bergesen - Borderline Ace
Guthrie - Great #3
Milwood - Anchor
Uehara - Just needed a year to understand America. 15 game winner
Tillman - Stud in the making
Matusz - HOF lock

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #166: February 17, 2010, 02:26:40 PM »
The O's are perpetually screwed by division alignment. Their best case scenerio is making a run similiar to the Rays and hoping to compete for one year knowing they don't have the money to stay at the top.

No doubt.  Every time I hear a honk from the commissioner's office say they have parity if you'd just bother to look at the sheer number of different teams that make the playoffs vs. other sports with salary caps and more teams making the post-season.  Then, they're always quick to point out the 2008 Rays and say, "SEE!!!!"  Meanwhile, they ignore the fact that by bringing up the 2008 Rays they are pointing out the exception that helps define the rule.

The economics of baseball are fine unless you're a fan of Tampa, Baltimore or Toronto.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #167: February 17, 2010, 03:50:22 PM »
The economics of baseball are fine unless you're a fan of Tampa, Baltimore or Toronto.

Toronto could have a lot of economic power with Rogers and being the sole Canadian team.  Baltimore and the Nats probably hurt each other a bit, especially on weekends. They did have the top payroll in the majors in the mid-to-late 90s, I think. Tampa can never compete financially until they move, probably from the whole area. 

The Rays have pretty good depth.  Desmond Jennings, Matt Joyce, Fernando Perez in the OF, Reid Brignac in the IF, 6 - 7 starters (counting Sonnanstine).  I forget their FA signings, but I think they have bottom fed pretty well.   

With the Os, they have additional minor league pitching in Arrieta and Erbe.  Unless Matusz blossoms quickly, they lack strength at the top of the rotation. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #168: February 17, 2010, 03:56:14 PM »
Toronto could have a lot of economic power with Rogers and being the sole Canadian team.  Baltimore and the Nats probably hurt each other a bit, especially on weekends. They did have the top payroll in the majors in the mid-to-late 90s, I think. Tampa can never compete financially until they move, probably from the whole area.  

The Rays have pretty good depth.  Desmond Jennings, Matt Joyce, Fernando Perez in the OF, Reid Brignac in the IF, 6 - 7 starters (counting Sonnanstine).  I forget their FA signings, but I think they have bottom fed pretty well.  

With the Os, they have additional minor league pitching in Arrieta and Erbe.  Unless Matusz blossoms quickly, they lack strength at the top of the rotation.  

But with the O's, Rays and Jays it's about sustaining success.  Eventually the crapshoot of developing talent hits a bad run which sets organizations back and the three teams in question don't have the resources to make up for those set backs.  

Rogers died and the ownership of the Jays is a mess.  Angelos seems to have the money but until recently he was baseball's biggest dumbass and the Rays can't be economically viable until they get out of that dump.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say they'd be better off moving that organization to a place with a better stadium deal since the city of Tampa seems uninterested in keeping them anyway.

The Red Sox and Yankees have the resources to sustain success whereas the rest of the division relies on drafting and development which is, at best, an inexact science.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #169: February 17, 2010, 04:16:25 PM »
But with the O's, Rays and Jays it's about sustaining success.  Eventually the crapshoot of developing talent hits a bad run which sets organizations back and the three teams in question don't have the resources to make up for those set backs. 

Rogers died and the ownership of the Jays is a mess.  Angelos seems to have the money but until recently he was baseball's biggest dumbass and the Rays can't be economically viable until they get out of that dump.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say they'd be better off moving that organization to a place with a better stadium deal since the city of Tampa seems uninterested in keeping them anyway.

The Red Sox and Yankees have the resources to sustain success whereas the rest of the division relies on drafting and development which is, at best, an inexact science.

the Jays have the market to be good, they just aren't (kind of like the mets)

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #170: February 17, 2010, 05:08:38 PM »
the Jays have the market to be good, they just aren't (kind of like the mets)

more importantly, they're in the al east and not the nl east.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #171: February 18, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Gagne signs a minor league deal to return to LA.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #172: February 18, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
MacDougal signs a minor league deal with Florida.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #173: February 22, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »
Infamous Nat Killer may not be able to make the field this year.  From MLBtraderumors:

Infielder Khalil Greene "will not be joining the team and will not report to spring training camp," according to a statement from the Rangers.  They'll leave the door open for Greene, who signed for $750K as a free agent in January after missing much of '09 with social anxiety disorder.  Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News tweets that "options on Greene could include the restricted list and voiding his contract."

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #174: February 22, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
Come to Oakland Khalil on a home game only contract. So few people attend the home games its like never leaving your apartment.