Author Topic: the mega Evil Empire (NYY) thread  (Read 3669 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
the mega Evil Empire (NYY) thread
« Topic Start: January 15, 2013, 01:59:15 PM »
[edit - consolidated 4 NYY thread on the first page of the O-o-T Scoreboad. The first discussed the NYY payroll]

...not really surprising who replaced them at the top though: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening-day-mlb-payrolls-to-exceed--3b-for-first-time--dodgers--jays--nats-see-biggest-spending-increases-224840102.html

Offline Mattionals

Re: Yankees No Longer Have Biggest Payroll
« Reply #1: January 15, 2013, 11:25:14 PM »
...not really surprising who replaced them at the top though: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/opening-day-mlb-payrolls-to-exceed--3b-for-first-time--dodgers--jays--nats-see-biggest-spending-increases-224840102.html

It's funny too because they still have so many question marks and money owed to questionable players.  Dodgers I mean.  Yanks not so much.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 16, 2013, 08:42:44 AM »
It's funny too because they still have so many question marks and money owed to questionable players.  Dodgers I mean.  Yanks not so much.

the Yankees owe a boat load to A Rod and he's pretty questionable

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #3: January 16, 2013, 05:12:39 PM »
the Yankees owe a boat load to A Rod and he's pretty questionable

+1

ARod is having surgery on his hip. Complicated work to build out a new hip-bone. Doctor is optimistic...thinks ARod might be back after the All-Star break. That seems over-hopeful.

Offline Rick

« Reply #4: February 14, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
The Yankees, dare I say it, could be a last place team this year with all their injuries and A-rod problems and the fact that the AL East is so talented this year.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: February 14, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
The Yankees, dare I say it, could be a last place team this year with all their injuries and A-rod problems and the fact that the AL East is so talented this year.

I have faith in the Os to occupy that role

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #6: February 14, 2013, 03:03:46 PM »

once can only hope.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #7: February 14, 2013, 03:13:17 PM »

It's not enough for the Nats to be in first, I want all the other teams to be in last.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #8: February 14, 2013, 03:59:32 PM »

I'm good with both these teams plus the red sox tying for the spot at the bottom of a Fed Ex Field portable john after a Monday Night game. It'd be nice to see all those bandwagon yankees/sawks fans scatter for cover and to see the faces of those birds fans who were talking crap about their birds last season (and that includes hammonds and other wnff members who took off their masks last season when the birds had a good season).

Offline markfnc

« Reply #9: February 18, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
Just heard an amazing stat on Mike &  Mike, (speaking of the Yankees).  No team in MLB history has ever made the playoffs with a 39 year old SS.  Only 1 team ever has had a winning record with a 39 year old SS. 1973 Red Sox with Louis Aparicio. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: February 18, 2013, 07:37:41 AM »
How many teams have had a 39 year old short stop (is it 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 500)

Offline spidernat

« Reply #11: February 18, 2013, 09:09:50 AM »
That's not amazing.  :lmao:  That's a bullcrap stat ESPN dredged up to stroke Jeter's cock. Nevermind that the 1913 Pittsburgh Pirates were 78-71 with 39 year old Honus Wagner as their shortstop.

How many teams have had a 39 year old short stop (is it 1 out of 5 or 1 out of 500)

Also, on the rare occasions when a team did field a 39 year old SS, what did the rest of the team look like? There's nothing amazing about that stat.

Online blue911

« Reply #12: February 18, 2013, 09:48:23 AM »
The Yankees have sacrificed the good of the team for Derek Jeter for a long time. The whole "The Captain" crap is nonsense to hide the fact that the Yankees should have moved him off of short when the traded for Rodriguez.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #13: February 18, 2013, 11:04:47 AM »
Definitely.

Offline welch

« Reply #14: February 28, 2013, 04:38:48 PM »
I admit it: I have never liked ARod, and I think Jeter is a better SS, and he is easier to like than ARod. Of course, Honus Wagner was a first year Hall of Famer...

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #15: February 28, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
No but now they van officially be referred to as the evil empire.
 http://m.espn.go.com/mlb/story?storyId=8992012

Offline welch

« Reply #16: March 02, 2013, 04:31:33 PM »
NY Daily News calls Yankees camp "old timers' day", but they will better than the Mets.

Offline EdStroud

Stumbled onto these on youtube

Enjoy

Offline HalfSmokes

thanks for that- I now have my afternoon background listening set

Offline markfnc

awesome. Babe Ruth not playing due to a charley horse, but hit one out in bp.

Offline Skinz72

• Say hello to the DL-inator!!
Yankees to Abandon "The Yankee Way"?
« Reply #20: March 07, 2013, 09:21:05 PM »
One of the bigger subplots of the 2013 year will be how the Yankees will perform with the third oldest starting lineup in MLB  history.  Many are predicting the O's and Blue Jays to win the AL East with the Yanks finishing below .500.  Finishing below .500 is not worth writing about.... unless its the Yankees.  Below .500 happens to many teams many times, however NOT to the Yanks.  They have not finished below 87 wins since Clinton was in his first term in the WH.  Amazing.  They had success in the 90's with their farm system and long time positional players, and won in stunning and convincing fashion for years.  As time moved on, were dubbed the "Evil Empire in 2002" as they continued the success in a different manner, by purchasing many free agents to replace retiring Yanks (not a new Yankee tactic). This method also bought them success into the 2000's.  As the luxury tax era entered, however, the Yanks simply seemed to accept this tax as the natural "price to pay" for success.  They have topped the salary charts with over $200 million since 2008.  Their roster consisted of long time and expen$ive Yanks, with the occasional FA pick up that kept the lineup strong from start to finish. The farm system, however, was essentially a body filler.  THIS will not bode well for the Bombers.

Then (recently) the luxury tax got even tougher and more pricey, perhaps a MLB effort to counter the Yanks generosity.  Their farm system had little top level talent to fill in the pieces, which meant the Yankee Way had to keep big the time names in spite of talent growth and player development.  Sparing the details (feel free to fill in the blanks), this latest luxury increase has seemingly detered the long term spending goals on the Yanks Steinbrenners.  The current plan is either attrition (see Rivera) or non-sign / release long term expensive contracts as appropriate (see Swisher & Soriono). 

The Yanks will be faced with a sub .500 year with a bunch of incredibly old and somehow still above average talent.  But the team, with all it's injuries slated for 2013, is simply a shadow of its former strong self.  This happened IMO to keep the "captain" structure in place (i.e Jeter) and keep the BIG names simply because it is the culture of doing so (Ruth, Gerhig, Mantel etc...).  Sort of an hommage to years and teams gone by.  This is the Yankee Way.   

The immediate future seems very dim for the Pinstripes.  Their 2013 farm system has been labeled "mediocre" by their own ranking system (Bronx Baseball Daily) with the real talent toward the bottom of their system, years away from the majors. 

So, it would seem with the Yankees apparent observance of the new luxury tax structure (which will take them below $189 million in 2015), the expected retiring of many Yankee has-beens (Jeter, ARod, Petite), the realt talent getting older (Sabathia, Chamberline) a lack of upper level farm system talent, the Yanks have a bleak immediate future which might lead them to several sub .500 seasons, perhaps at least until 2016. 

Many, including long time diehard Yankee fans, have accepted the fact that the "Yankee Way", which to essentially buy a World Series through attracting the best free agents and keeping them past their prime at the expense of the farm system.  They can do this because they're the simply the most recognizeable baseball team in history and apparently every kid in Little League wants to play for the Yanks (jk).  The short term goal will be to release players, dump big time contracts and get under the luxury tax.  The Yankees machine will continue to earn dollars though merchandise sales (again, thru simply being the Yankees). 

As for what they will do after this salary purge is all done, who knows.  I doubt they can recover lower level talent by trading players like Jeter and ARod (becoming the Marlins)... they're just past their time and no team would give the Yanks what they want in return.  Who knows.  Perhaps after 5 years of sub .500 they will make a pitch to Rizzo to become the new Steinbrenner  :icon_frown:  I wouldn't put it past the "Evil Empire" that strives for league dominance year after year.   

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Yankees to Abandon "The Yankee Way"?
« Reply #21: March 07, 2013, 10:47:33 PM »
Jeter is a has-been?  .316   .362   .429 last season.  I know he's coming off an injury, but I wouldn't write him off just yet.   But yeah, they do appear poised for quite the fall this year.  I'm really really surprised they didn't bust the bank to sign Hamilton.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #22: March 07, 2013, 11:01:26 PM »
Steinbrenner is an owner. They can't hire Rizzo away to be a new owner.

I don't buy the Jays being great. Most of these paper champions that acquire a ton during one off-season fail horribly.

They need to develop a new core. They can pay for some free agents, but can't buy a whole team. This has been inevitable.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #23: March 08, 2013, 12:37:18 AM »
Steinbrenner is an owner. They can't hire Rizzo away to be a new owner.

I don't buy the Jays being great. Most of these paper champions that acquire a ton during one off-season fail horribly.

They need to develop a new core. They can pay for some free agents, but can't buy a whole team. This has been inevitable.

The Blue Jays already did this (2006) and failed.  I'm not buying into them at all.  Too much has to go exactly right for them to be really good.  JJ has to stay healthy, Romero has to bounce back, Dickey has to adjust to the AL, Melky has to perform without the juice, Lawrie has to take big steps forward, the bullpen can't suck . . .

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #24: March 08, 2013, 07:33:16 AM »
My comments on the Tracee Hamilton Discussion.

NAME THE YANKEES CURSE! LOL Hi Tracee! You gotta believe that for once in it's probable lifetime the Yankees are cursed. Remember how Boston had T-shirts that said Reverse the Curse? Well it's finally come to fruition! I mean forget the Curse of the Bambino! That's done and buried. A-Rod can't hit the broad side of a barn in the playoffs. Jeter breaks his ankle. Hughes can't pitch. Grandy gets a bad break (or is it sprain? I can't keep track). Now Tex is down for 8-10 weeks. AND TO TOP IT ALL OFF! CASHMAN BREAKS HIS ANKLE jumping out of a perfectly good airplane!!! As a Senators/Orioles/NATS fan. I find the talk of the Yankees going in the opposite direction refreshing!!! I call this Curse; THE CURSE OF THE A-ROID-O. Any other great curse names for what the Yanks are going through! He he he, ha ha ha, about time!