Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 163502 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #600: October 31, 2009, 09:05:03 PM »
The Brickskellar at P St & Florida Ave near Dupont Circle has literally thousands of different beers from around the world.  

RFD by Verizon center has lots of draughts, including some cask conditioned ales.

The Black Squirrel in Adams Morgan has a good selection...it's around the corner from my house, so I go there 'every once in a while' (haw haw).  A liter of Hofbrau is a great way to wash down your half-price burger on Thursday nights.

and some of them are even not skunked. They actually don't have a good portion of the menu- when I was in school I went out with a buddy and his father and we had fun trying to send them back for beers there was no way they would actually have (hint think africa), unfortunately, when the waitress does return with an Ethiopian Lager, its truly terrible.

I would second Pizza Paradiso and add Rustico in Alexandria

Offline Dave B

« Reply #601: November 03, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »
I'll have to check out Rutico D.C.; hopefully it is just as good.

If I'm not as concerned about the massive beer selection, my favorite pizza places are Two Amy's, Pizzeria Paradiso, and this hole in the wall place in Laurel, MD which I can never remember the name. There's also a Chicago style thin crust one off Dupont circle which has its moments but has been inconsistent.

Goodys in Clarendon has freaking amazing pizza (basic carry out slice pizza). And I try hard to not like things in arlington.

As far as fancy pizza, I like Matchbox. Havent been to Paradiso in a while

Offline Dave B

« Reply #602: November 03, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »
Good start but Birreria Paradiso (beer & pizza), Brasserie Beck (has Belgian's no one else does), Granville Moore's (killer frites), Red Derby (all cans) all deserve a mention.

Granville Moore's has great food. The bison burger is well worth it even at $11 or $13 whatever it is.  Cant really get into their beers though. Not a fan of that sweet high content (very expensive) Belgian stuff. Their $4 Stella drafts and Bavik are good though

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #603: November 07, 2009, 09:13:09 PM »
We went to Bierreria Paradiso tonight and the beer selection (as well as the pizza) was awesome.  Thank you for this idea.

Good start but Birreria Paradiso (beer & pizza), Brasserie Beck (has Belgian's no one else does), Granville Moore's (killer frites), Red Derby (all cans) all deserve a mention.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #604: November 08, 2009, 10:34:22 AM »
Picked up Delirium Noel and Dogfish Head Pangea.

Two "holy crap" good beers. The Noel is among the tastiest beers I have ever experienced, and the Pangea has crystallized ginger and and ingredient from every continent.

There's a reason these beers cost wine prices.

Offline Mathguy

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #606: November 11, 2009, 01:55:33 PM »
Picked up Delirium Noel and Dogfish Head Pangea.

I picked up a bottle of the Pangea last weekend, yet to sample it.  May hold it till Thanksgiving, share it with my brothers.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #607: November 11, 2009, 03:18:58 PM »
These articles were in the WashPost today on cask conditioned beers

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111000777.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/NewsSearch?st=cask%20beer&

sounds cool. that pumpkin one in georgetown might be worth a look. i'd hate to get there and find they dont have it though.  whatever, i've got time

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #608: November 11, 2009, 03:26:51 PM »
RFD across from Verizon usually has a couple of cask-conditioned ales.

« Reply #609: November 11, 2009, 03:34:59 PM »
PABST BLUE RIBBON!

• babble on
« Reply #610: November 11, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
You gotta say that like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet:

"Pabst freaking Blue Ribbon, you freaking freak"

PABST BLUE RIBBON!

« Reply #611: November 11, 2009, 04:22:58 PM »
You gotta say that like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet:

"Pabst freaking Blue Ribbon, you freaking freak"

"Heinken?! freak that crap! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!!!"

« Reply #612: November 11, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »
I had a dentist appointment yesterday and the dentist informed me that beer has a natural fluoride to it which makes it a lot better to drink than soda.

DRINK IT UP!!!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #613: November 11, 2009, 11:53:40 PM »
I finally got some Sam Adams Winter Lager, one of my favorite seasonal brews.  A dark wheat lager brewed with fresh cinnamon, orange, and ginger.

« Reply #614: November 12, 2009, 07:46:33 AM »
I'm not much of a Sam Adams drinker. I've only drunk two in my lifetime. The first was some cherry concoction that was not impressive at all. The second was a summer brew which actually was really good, but as I was drinking, I got spiked in the mouth by a glass shard that somehow was in the bottle.

Great beer, but I am sorry, it loses points for trying to shred my throat. I just can't go back to it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #615: November 12, 2009, 09:46:48 AM »
I had a dentist appointment yesterday and the dentist informed me that beer has a natural fluoride to it which makes it a lot better to drink than soda.

DRINK IT UP!!!

Please don't be pulling my leg :shock: :pray:

« Reply #616: November 12, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »
Please don't be pulling my leg :shock: :pray:

Not at all. I swear.

• babble on
« Reply #617: November 12, 2009, 12:42:13 PM »
The glass is a key part of the summer ale experience, like the worm in a bottle of mezcal.

I'm not much of a Sam Adams drinker. I've only drunk two in my lifetime. The first was some cherry concoction that was not impressive at all. The second was a summer brew which actually was really good, but as I was drinking, I got spiked in the mouth by a glass shard that somehow was in the bottle.

Great beer, but I am sorry, it loses points for trying to shred my throat. I just can't go back to it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #618: November 12, 2009, 12:54:48 PM »

Everything but their regular Lager is liquid happiness. Even the Cranberry Lambic is good in small doses. I would give a pinky to taste the Utopia.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #619: November 12, 2009, 06:17:27 PM »

I actually like the Cherry Wheat.  As for the glass, there was a recall over that a while back I wonder if it was from that batch.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #620: November 18, 2009, 08:52:30 AM »
For any fans of dark beer, Rock Bottom in Arlington has this Vespa beer, which has a rich coffee flavor and won an award at the Great American beer Festival.  They also have a great Imperial Porter.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #621: November 19, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »
Is MGD 64 too heavy a beer for you?  I just saw that Budwieser has a new variation of the "Select" brand, "Select 55" with just 55 calories, a full 9 calories less than MGD 64 :?

http://budweiserselect55.com/55/default.aspx

I can only imagine how terrible that stuff will taste, though I must say the the regular Bud Select isn't all that bad for a light beer.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #622: November 19, 2009, 11:57:38 PM »
I'd be glad to bottle yellow water and sell it as PANats 0. Think it would sell?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #623: November 20, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
I'd be glad to bottle yellow water and sell it as PANats 0. Think it would sell?
I'd buy a case :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #624: November 20, 2009, 07:52:10 AM »
I must say the the regular Bud Select isn't all that bad for a light beer.

:hang:

I guess Lyme disease isn't all that bad for a disease either.