Author Topic: Golf pro kills hawk  (Read 2293 times)

natsfan1a

Golf pro kills hawk
« Topic Start: March 11, 2008, 07:56:21 AM »
From yesterday's Post (The first line is the Post's comment, not mine. I'm glad that they are charging him.):

He needs to concentrate more on birdies.

From the Associated Press:"PGA Tour player Tripp Isenhour was charged with killing a hawk on purpose with a golf shot because it was making noise as he videotaped a TV show. . . .

According to court documents, Isenhour got upset when a red-shouldered hawk began making noise, forcing another take. He began hitting balls at the bird, then 300 yards away, but gave up. Isenhour started again when the hawk moved within about 75 yards. . . .

Isenhour allegedly said 'I'll get him now,' and aimed for the hawk. . . .

A few shots later, witnesses said he hit the hawk."

Re: Golf pro kills hawk
« Reply #1: March 11, 2008, 10:58:27 AM »
This sounds like some jerk off thing that Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore would do.

What an jerk.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #2: March 11, 2008, 11:11:40 AM »
While that is pretty asinine and I would never support cruelty to animals, I have to admit....

I chuckled.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: March 11, 2008, 01:02:14 PM »
I hit a ground hog once at a driving range, intentionally too.  He was about 220 yards out, and I got in a consistent groove where I was hitting the ball within a very tight area.  I told my brother that I was going to hit him, and 2 or 3 shots later I put one into his ribs after one bounce.  He looked up like "wazzat?", then resumed grazing. 

Definitely displayed my lack of power, as well as his indomitable spirit and calm demeanor.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: March 11, 2008, 01:57:45 PM »
Groundhog 1, tomterp 0 :lol:

Offline saltydad

« Reply #5: March 11, 2008, 02:39:26 PM »
I'm totally down on his ethics, but wish my skills with the sticks were as good as his.

« Reply #6: March 11, 2008, 02:44:04 PM »
I'm totally down on his ethics, but wish my skills with the sticks were as good as his.

I admit, you have to have some skill to sniper a golf ball like that.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #7: March 11, 2008, 03:30:08 PM »
Last summer, I witnessed golf pros aiming at construction workers building a house at the far end of the driving range. Luckily, they only managed to plop a golf ball into the swimming pool and startle a few guys. I definitely feel sorry for the occupants of that house.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #8: March 11, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
Wait...charged?  Hitting an animal while golfing is a felony?

« Reply #9: March 11, 2008, 03:56:05 PM »

I believe anyone stating the intention and then succeeding in the act of hurting an animal, especially one not hurting anyone and doing what it naturally does, is animal abuse. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: March 11, 2008, 04:08:04 PM »
I believe anyone stating the intention and then succeeding in the act of hurting an animal, especially one not hurting anyone and doing what it naturally does, is animal abuse. 

Agreed.  I am such a horrible golfer, that I was really making a joke when I pulled off the feat.  Plus, it was at the end of my range.  Even if I'd hit it in the head it wouldn't have injured the ground hog. 

And the driving range is pretty much all ground hogged up all the time anyway, they'd have to shut it down to prevent the occasional plunking.

natsfan1a

« Reply #11: March 11, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »
Also, hawks and other raptors are protected by law. There's a summary here:

http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

We have red-shouldered hawks in the stream valley behind our house. At this time of year they do call frequently while on the wing as part of their courtship ritual.

« Reply #12: March 11, 2008, 04:23:30 PM »
This: however, is not a chargeable offense. This is more considered Act of God.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #13: March 11, 2008, 10:42:31 PM »
I hit a ground hog once at a driving range, intentionally too.  He was about 220 yards out, and I got in a consistent groove where I was hitting the ball within a very tight area.  I told my brother that I was going to hit him, and 2 or 3 shots later I put one into his ribs after one bounce.  He looked up like "wazzat?", then resumed grazing. 

Definitely displayed my lack of power, as well as his indomitable spirit and calm demeanor.

I don't recall hitting any animals while playing golf, at least not other than myself with a few richochets.  I have won the "Beaver Pelt" competition a few times, though.   

I have had to tee off  with an about 8' gator catching some rays in front of the ball at the edge of the tee box,  I just prayed, "Please, Lord, get this ball into the air" - one of the few times G*d has not shown his warped sense of humor with me on the golf course.  Two weeks ago I saw my first ever panther on a golf course.  He was about 50 yards away in some tall grasses, watching us tee off.  He was beautiful, and I'm a sucker for stray cats, but he had me much more nervous than any gator I've ever come across.  We called it in to the pro shop so F&W could take care of the guy - there are only something like a couple hundred left.

As for me, when I'm playing and want to miss something, I take dead aim at it.

But, this guy made no question of his intention to hit the bird while having professional skills to do so.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #14: March 11, 2008, 10:46:16 PM »
This sounds like some jerk off thing that Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore would do.

What an jerk.

"I eat pieces of crap like you for breakfast!"

"You eat pieces of crap for breakfast?"

My favorite:

"What's wrong with you people? Go back to your shanties!"

natsfan1a

« Reply #15: March 11, 2008, 10:46:40 PM »
Would a panther be the same as a cougar/mountain lion/puma? I know that there are lots of names for them.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #16: March 11, 2008, 10:48:49 PM »
Would a panther be the same as a cougar/mountain lion/catamount? I know that there are lots of names for them.

He's part of the cougar family.  Also, it says in Wiki that there are only 80-100 left.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #17: March 11, 2008, 11:24:38 PM »
He's part of the cougar family.  Also, it says in Wiki that there are only 80-100 left.

There is a subset of Puma concolor called the Florida panther. It is the only known remnant of the eastern panther (or cougar) remaining, the others being extirpated by the beginning decades of the last century. Interestingly, western cougars (scientifically the same thing) have been moving east from the Rockies, and are now in the Badlands with a breeding population, and the latest confirmation was in Wisconsin. There have been isolated sightings, NOT verified by DNA analysis, in Arkansas, Alabama, and even Delaware. DNA analysis is now used to differentiate between native populations and those from South America, which are usually "pets" released by their "owners". Obviously this is not an animal to have as a pet. For further info on this fascinating creature, see the site of the The Cougar Network, to which I belong.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #18: March 12, 2008, 04:36:41 AM »
I was thinking of the Randy Johnson incident too when I read this.  But this one was planned.  Randy's wasn't

Another Cougar siting:

natsfan1a

« Reply #19: March 12, 2008, 06:35:59 AM »
Thanks for the cougar info, guys.

Good one on the "cougar," calsgr8!

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #20: March 12, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »
There is a subset of Puma concolor called the Florida panther. It is the only known remnant of the eastern panther (or cougar) remaining, the others being extirpated by the beginning decades of the last century. Interestingly, western cougars (scientifically the same thing) have been moving east from the Rockies, and are now in the Badlands with a breeding population, and the latest confirmation was in Wisconsin. There have been isolated sightings, NOT verified by DNA analysis, in Arkansas, Alabama, and even Delaware. DNA analysis is now used to differentiate between native populations and those from South America, which are usually "pets" released by their "owners". Obviously this is not an animal to have as a pet. For further info on this fascinating creature, see the site of the The Cougar Network, to which I belong.

http://www.easterncougarnet.org/

Great info and  thanks for the link.  I tried joining online, but kept getting an error message ("enter an amount other than zero" - yet there is no place to enter an amount), so am mailing in a donation.

The guy I saw was about 20 miles east of the area on the map, in a relative urban area.

« Reply #21: March 12, 2008, 11:19:12 AM »
"I eat pieces of **** like you for breakfast!"

"You eat pieces of **** for breakfast?"

My favorite:

"What's wrong with you people? Go back to your shanties!"

:rofl:  Yeah, I love the shantie one as well.  I also like:

"You know what *else* could draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his ass."

"I beg to differ. Happy Gilmore accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago."
"Well moron--[turns to see Mr. Larson for the first time]--good for Happy Gimo - OH MY GOD!"

"Just stay out of my way or you'll pay, listen to what I say."

natsfan1a

« Reply #22: March 12, 2008, 12:36:22 PM »
Coincidentally, I was at the Post Office today and picked up some postcard stamps. They featured the Florida Panther. 8)

Great info and  thanks for the link.  I tried joining online, but kept getting an error message ("enter an amount other than zero" - yet there is no place to enter an amount), so am mailing in a donation.

The guy I saw was about 20 miles east of the area on the map, in a relative urban area.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #23: March 12, 2008, 12:50:27 PM »
:rofl:  Yeah, I love the shantie one as well.  I also like:

"You know what *else* could draw a crowd? A golfer with an arm growing out of his ass."

"I beg to differ. Happy Gilmore accomplished that feat no more than an hour ago."
"Well moron--[turns to see Mr. Larson for the first time]--good for Happy Gimo - OH MY GOD!"

"Just stay out of my way or you'll pay, listen to what I say."

"I think I'll go eat some hay, by the bay, I just may"

Offline kimnat

« Reply #24: March 12, 2008, 08:09:24 PM »
Dr. Seuss would be so proud of you two poetic geniuses!  :)

Hey Mike, why is that whenever I read your stories, I have to hold my sides and rofl!