Author Topic: A long-term SS solution.  (Read 2100 times)

DelNatsFan

A long-term SS solution.
« Topic Start: July 30, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »
I wonder what it would take to acquire Mike Aviles from KC (currently in AA Wichita). He's solid in the field and hits .280 and from the many games I saw him play in Wilmington, he hits in the clutch. He's stuck in a numbers game in KC as they're top heavy with young middle infielders.
He's in AA now, but most of KC's call-ups seem to be coming from there so he could be ready if not now then next season.
That way if Guzman Doesn't turn it around next season, you have Aviles ready to plug in and get some production.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #1: July 30, 2005, 07:28:12 PM »
Any plan B looks good to me right now.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #2: August 02, 2005, 05:39:45 PM »
My guess is unless he hits .300+ the rest of the way, Guzman is quietly traded for a minor league player or major league backup player in the offseason, with the Nats eating some portion of the roughly 12 MIL still owed him.

Just too unpopular an acquisition for any GM to really want to stick with Guzman next year.

I would not be surprised to see whoever is Nats GM go after Alex Gonzales (Marlins FA SS) very aggressively.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #3: August 02, 2005, 07:51:45 PM »
If Guzman works his average up by hitting 275+ the rest of the season, I would imagine that he would be easier to trade.

As for free agent shortstops, because of name drawing power, they might go after Nomar Garciaparra or Rafael Furcal.

bramos

A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #4: August 02, 2005, 09:04:46 PM »
As long as Bowden is the GM, born-again Guzman will stay.  Unless a George Steinbrenner-type owner is buying the team, there's still 2 more years and a whole chunk of change committed to everyone's least favourite shortstop.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #5: August 02, 2005, 10:17:43 PM »
Actually there's THREE more years and $12 million bucks attached to Guzman, remember he signed a 4 year deal.

mar (AKA pasqual AKA JMG)

A long-term SS solution.
« Reply #6: August 03, 2005, 01:06:02 PM »
Quote from: "bramos"
As long as Bowden is the GM, born-again Guzman will stay.  Unless a George Steinbrenner-type owner is buying the team, there's still 2 more years and a whole chunk of change committed to everyone's least favourite shortstop.

I don't think so.

Bowden isn't one of those GM's that clings desperately to his mistakes trying to prove he was right (least that's not his previous history).

I think the level of unpopularity with fans make Guzman a goner. He might even go back to what he was before DC next season, but I doubt with the Nats.

And they won't have to eat all of that 12 MIL; question is at what salary level - 3 MIL per year? 2 MIL? - he becomes attractive to another team.

If, for example, they could trade him for some kind of useful player and eat 3-6 MIL of the 12, I imagine Nats would be happy (well, not happy, but glad to be rid of him).

As ken pointed out, some very good SS out there as FA's (will be real interesting to see how Nomar plays when he comes back this season) and, since the Nats will be forced to rely heavily on the FA market, they won't want to miss the chance to upgrade.