Author Topic: What do you do for a living?  (Read 5197 times)

Offline ronnynat

Re: What do you do for a living?
« Reply #25: June 14, 2007, 12:59:12 PM »
I've always wondered where writers get their inspirations.  Do you outline ideas, or do they just flow?  I don't see how fiction writers can keep everything flowing - it amazes me.  There is a creative genius in writing that I truly admire.  I hope these come through for you.  I'd like to see them both.  The first one sound like it is one of those marvels when you buy one book, but get several stories.  Still, it is the second one that sounds especially intriguing to me.

I usually don't do too much w/ outlines. This is the part that I already seem to have down before I start writing anything. My inspiration comes from having an interest in EVERYTHING. The key, for me, isn't just to have an interest in what I'm writing about, it's actually knowing exactly what that interest is and where it came from. I try and put a little bit of me into every word. I've always believed that writer's block comes from trying to satisfy anyone and everyone but yourself.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #26: June 14, 2007, 01:04:20 PM »
I am a waiter. Yeah nothing exciting about that. My dream is to have my own radio show, sports talk probably. But i cant afford the schooling(broadcasting school costs a lot)

Offline kimnat

« Reply #27: June 14, 2007, 02:26:17 PM »
I'm a freelance writer.  Mostly write for the Chronicle Newspaper here in Fairfax County, but there's a buzz going around Fairfax City about me and I think I'll be picking up a few more opps this summer/fall.  I'd love to do some profile pieces on a few of our players, but seriously doubt that will ever happen.  I have a BA degree in English/Journalism-Communications.  I focused on print journalism and PR.  That's where I appear to be most talented. 

My FULL-TIME JOB is in the home, mom to 3 kiddos, Andrew, TFS, (whom you all know now!  will be 8 in mid-August), Elisa, Peepers, (6 end of July) and Juliana, Peanut, (5 this Nov.)  I am so busy w/ the school working on Andrew's behalf.  We just had him qualify for an IEP just yesterday.  I also just found out that he is NOT immune to Polio and Tetanus, already knew about Chicken Pox.  The chemo messed up the immunity to the 1st two.  Can't really be revaccinated until Christmas.  So, my hard work continues!  The doc says to treat him like a normal kid, but I am having a really hard time finding that fine line between over and under doing it.  How far do I take it?  How much can I let him do w/o jeopardizing his health in regards to those 3 disease?  But sounds like a fight breaking out, so need to get back to the mommy work!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: June 14, 2007, 02:43:16 PM »
I'm a CPA, am Controller of a publically traded company.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #29: June 14, 2007, 02:54:30 PM »
Hey JMad, which restaurant do you work at?

natsfan1a

« Reply #30: June 14, 2007, 03:33:25 PM »
Well, having done it (waitressing) at one point in my life, I can say that it's good, hard, honest work. In some ways, I think that it's similar to being a professional athlete: no matter what's going on in your private life, you always need to be "on" at work; you need to be in good physical condition and have endurance; and you need to have a good memory and keep your head in the game at all times. When my husband and I were first going out together years ago, I educated him about how extenuating circumstances could be affecting table service (e.g., jerky bartenders, flaky cooks, ditsy hostesses who assign a bunch of patrons to one section all at once rather than distributing them among sections). I'm happy to say that now he gives waitstaff the benefit of the doubt.

That being said, sports talk radio sounds interesting, and you'd have a built-in audience with this forum!

I am a waiter. Yeah nothing exciting about that. My dream is to have my own radio show, sports talk probably. But i cant afford the schooling(broadcasting school costs a lot)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #31: June 14, 2007, 03:33:35 PM »

You have "computer geek" written all over you, what with your interest in gaming and obvious skills.  No interest?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #32: June 14, 2007, 03:35:46 PM »
If I may, I've always wanted to be a sportswriter, ever since I was a little kid.  Maybe one day, when I'm financially secure after years at law, I can test the sports writing market.

nospinzone1

« Reply #33: June 14, 2007, 04:25:47 PM »
Truly, sometimes it doesn't seem that anyone has proofread the articles!  :lol:

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #34: June 14, 2007, 10:59:42 PM »
RN: Burns& Trauma ICU, Neuro ICU, now i do Surgical ICU nursing which includes transplants, ie:liver, kidney, small bowle transplants. You're sick, i take care of you. Ive also have done Acute Care / ER, peds to old fats!

Nats Fan: Full time job. round the clock type job.

Part-Time: Event Co-chair with kimnat.

Dream Job: Nationals Team Nurse. But i think it would a fun job, but wouldnt pay much!

nospinzone1

« Reply #35: June 14, 2007, 11:28:35 PM »
RN: Burns& Trauma ICU, Neuro ICU, now i do Surgical ICU nursing which includes transplants, ie:liver, kidney, small bowle transplants. You're sick, i take care of you. Ive also have done Acute Care / ER, peds to old fats!

Dream Job: Nationals Team Nurse. But i think it would a fun job, but wouldnt pay much!

Par for the course; nurses are overworked and underpaid.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #36: June 15, 2007, 03:32:40 AM »

Wouldn't that be a blast? I've done volunteer athletic training and would share your dream job desire!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #37: June 15, 2007, 03:38:29 AM »
I've been laid off from and "uncommonly wise" bank since April 15. They decided to build a call center in Oregon and close the center in Wilmington. They told us about it last June so it was a little easier to take. I applied for Guest Services MGR with ther Nats when they started advertising jobs, but never got a callback. I was seriously looking to relocate to Tampa, but no job prosepcts worth applying for. I'm collecting a severance for one more month and going out on interviews. Freed up my afternoons for posting and taking day trips to RFK. Had a promising interview Friday with UPS but the money's not there.

I also have gone through your lousy situation. Once was among 1200 folks "downsized" after 15 years with the company, and once when my company closed after 5 years. One reason I'm back in college again. As an RN I should no longer have to worry about such things. :D Best of luck; things WILL turn around.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #38: June 15, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »
I just finished my first year of college at George Mason University where I am majoring in IT.  During the Summer, I work part-time at a Plumbing supply warehouse delivering parts throughout the Northern Virginia area. 

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #39: June 15, 2007, 11:20:20 AM »

QFT

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #40: June 15, 2007, 11:26:02 AM »

Definitely; when I was a kid, my mom was a psychiatric nurse.  She helped really screwed up people, and did it for over 35 years.  What a depressing job.

nospinzone1

« Reply #41: June 15, 2007, 11:28:18 AM »
Definitely; when I was a kid, my mom was a psychiatric nurse.  She helped really screwed up people, and did it for over 35 years.  What a depressing job.

lets lobby for a huge raise for Erica and Saltydad

Offline kimnat

« Reply #42: June 15, 2007, 11:54:29 AM »
there ya go!!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #43: June 15, 2007, 12:22:59 PM »
lets lobby for a huge raise for Erica and Saltydad

Motion seconded, all those in favor, say aye... The ayes have it, motion carried... Now who's gonna do the lobbying?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #44: June 15, 2007, 01:49:19 PM »
LOL, good question!

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #45: June 15, 2007, 02:16:39 PM »
Hey JMad, which restaurant do you work at?

Olive Garden, in Hyattsville.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #46: June 15, 2007, 02:19:03 PM »
Wow, that's a far piece from here.  If I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll come by.  :)

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #47: June 15, 2007, 02:20:44 PM »
You have "computer geek" written all over you, what with your interest in gaming and obvious skills.  No interest?

nah. my dad is the computer geek of the family. though I can fake it(the computer geekiness), if I want.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #48: June 15, 2007, 10:33:33 PM »
Motion seconded, all those in favor, say aye... The ayes have it, motion carried... Now who's gonna do the lobbying?

ahh i need a raise.

but in nursing, we dont do it for the money.

its good, but the best way to go is a "agency" or contract nurse. thats what i do. its much better pay, but it has its down falls too...