Author Topic: All About Ross D (Merges Dess Rotweiler, Cy Young, Appreciation)  (Read 5080 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Dess Rotweiler (merged thread)
« Reply #100: October 12, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
better?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Dess Rotweiler (merged thread)
« Reply #101: April 18, 2013, 10:50:59 AM »
bump

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Ross Detwiler Cy Young Watch
« Reply #102: April 18, 2013, 10:56:45 AM »
Can someone make a Ross Detwiler thread so I don't have to? Ross is ridiculous, imagine if he got his other pitches to the levels his fastballs are at. If he did he'd be unstoppable without exaggeration.
The Ross Detwiler Cy Young Watch begins for 2013...

DATE   OPP.   RESULT   IP   H   R   ER HR BB SO GB FB   Pit   Dec.   ERA
04/17   @ MIA   W 6-1 7.0   7   1   1   0   0   5   14   10 107 W(1-0) 0.90
04/12   vs ATL   L 4-6   7.0   4   1   1   1   2   5   9   10   90   --        0.69
04/06   @ CIN   W 7-6 6.0   6   1   0   0   1   1   13   9   82   --        0.00

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Re: Dess Rotweiler (merged Det thread)
« Reply #103: April 18, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »
Still like Boss Dealwiler as the replacement nickname for Bambi.  Though I could be talked into Boss Rotweiler, too.

Seriously, though - can a guy really perform at this level for the whole year as a starter throwing essentially one pitch?  He through 107 pitches.  7 were not fastballs.  I mean, I love it and I think he's awesome, but really?  These guys are MLB hitters (Ok, maybe not the Marlins) - can "here it is, hit it if you dare" really work the whole year?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #104: April 18, 2013, 11:11:28 AM »
Still like Boss Dealwiler as the replacement nickname for Bambi.  Though I could be talked into Boss Rotweiler, too.

Seriously, though - can a guy really perform at this level for the whole year as a starter throwing essentially one pitch?  He through 107 pitches.  7 were not fastballs.  I mean, I love it and I think he's awesome, but really?  These guys are MLB hitters (Ok, maybe not the Marlins) - can "here it is, hit it if you dare" really work the whole year?
It's the movement that really makes his fastball. There's another major leaguer who relies on just one high-movement pitch and is successful, but I dare not speak his name because the comparison is ridiculous.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #105: April 18, 2013, 11:19:50 AM »

I think it only worked bc it was against the Marlins.  He does have nasty movement, and so can rely on it more heavily than othes pitchers, but no starter can really can get by with just one pitch.  I'd look for the fastball % to be down to 75% or so against better teams.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #106: April 18, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
I think it only worked bc it was against the Marlins.  He does have nasty movement, and so can rely on it more heavily than othes pitchers, but no starter can really can get by with just one pitch.  I'd look for the fastball % to be down to 75% or so against better teams.
like Atlanta and Cincinatti?

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #107: April 18, 2013, 11:25:32 AM »
the 78 mph slider he threw for a K last night was devastating. if he can effectively work in some off speed stuff at the right times he'll be fine. i think he as the ability to adjust.

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #108: April 18, 2013, 11:27:11 AM »
Well, of course I wrote without actually checking anything.  What were his fastball percentages against CIN and ATL?  Obviously he had great outings, and those are both strong hitting teams (maybe 2 of the best in the league), so they should be a fair gauge.  Somehow though, even if he threw 90% fastballs against them, I have to think he's not likely to be continue to be as successful over a larger sample size without mixing it up a little more.  I'm not talking half off-speed pitches, but I think anything over 80% fastballs really lets people sit on it.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #109: April 18, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »
Okay, I've now wasted 17 minutes looking at intense data on Detwiler's fastball, and I am mega-impressed. He has two fastballs: the regular and the sinker. The sinker is #1 in baseball this year for movement. It was #1 in baseball last year for movement. Detwiler is #1 in baseball this year at getting people to swing (Cliff Lee's #2).

The thing with his two kinds of fastball is, they're released from the exact same point. They're at exactly the same speed. But one of them drops 5 inches and moves 3-4 inches horizontally, and the other has a foot of "rise" and a foot of horizontal movement. With identical release points and identical velocity, there's no way to tell them apart. As a hitter, you're guessing as wildly as hitters were guessing when they faced last year's #1 swings leader...R.A. Dickey.

Detwiler's gotten lucky so far, since he doesn't strike many guys out and has left 90% of his runners on base. Eventually that will change and those runners will start scoring. But even so, his sinking fastball is one of (FanGraphs says) the 10 most effective pitches in baseball right now.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #110: April 18, 2013, 12:39:29 PM »
It's the movement that really makes his fastball. There's another major leaguer who relies on just one high-movement pitch and is successful, but I dare not speak his name because the comparison is ridiculous.

:shrug:

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #111: April 18, 2013, 12:52:45 PM »
Mariano, with the cutter.  But I don't really think it's a good comparison because there's a world of difference between having to get through 7 innings versus just one.

Offline blue911

« Reply #112: April 18, 2013, 12:57:52 PM »
Mariano, with the cutter.  But I don't really think it's a good comparison because there's a world of difference between having to get through 7 innings versus just one.

Haren only throws fastballs

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #113: April 18, 2013, 01:02:52 PM »
Yep, I was talking about Mariano.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #114: April 18, 2013, 01:13:11 PM »
Can't remember who I heard interviewing McCatty a few days ago, but McCatty said that Detwiler was the most stubborn pitcher on the staff. (Of course, with what he throws, he can afford to be stubborn.) I'm betting that the off speed stuff will be infrequent, only when necessary.

the 78 mph slider he threw for a K last night was devastating. if he can effectively work in some off speed stuff at the right times he'll be fine. i think he as the ability to adjust.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #115: April 18, 2013, 01:23:41 PM »
Yep, I was talking about Mariano.

That's what I was leaning toward but I thought you meant a starter.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #116: April 18, 2013, 02:31:33 PM »
Okay, I've now wasted 17 minutes looking at intense data on Detwiler's fastball, and I am mega-impressed. He has two fastballs: the regular and the sinker. The sinker is #1 in baseball this year for movement. It was #1 in baseball last year for movement. Detwiler is #1 in baseball this year at getting people to swing (Cliff Lee's #2).

The thing with his two kinds of fastball is, they're released from the exact same point. They're at exactly the same speed. But one of them drops 5 inches and moves 3-4 inches horizontally, and the other has a foot of "rise" and a foot of horizontal movement. With identical release points and identical velocity, there's no way to tell them apart. As a hitter, you're guessing as wildly as hitters were guessing when they faced last year's #1 swings leader...R.A. Dickey.

Detwiler's gotten lucky so far, since he doesn't strike many guys out and has left 90% of his runners on base. Eventually that will change and those runners will start scoring. But even so, his sinking fastball is one of (FanGraphs says) the 10 most effective pitches in baseball right now.

interesting stuff. the boss has a lot going for him: .45 hr/9, 3.7% BB%, .250 BABIP ...all of which are top-30 right now

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #117: April 18, 2013, 04:08:12 PM »
Haren only throws fastballs meatballs
FTFY

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #118: April 18, 2013, 06:08:40 PM »

Right, but he only pitches one inning per game.  And he only faces batters at most once per outing.  Det gets them 3-4 times with just that one sinker.  It's mind-boggling.  I'd feel so much better if he just threw the curve like twice as often.

Though I do wonder is what gets counted as "fastball" by pitch f/x is really a mix of 4 seamers and 2 seamers, and that maybe the movement is different enough to fool hitters, but all get counted as "fastball"

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #119: April 18, 2013, 06:10:30 PM »

You know, I should really probably catch up with the whole thread before I just respond to stuff.  This is awesome.  And now, I love the Boss even more.  And yes, if you think I meant Bruce Springsteen, it's cos I did.

Offline madj55

« Reply #120: April 18, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Ross is a stud, so glad he got his chance last year and that he's starting to shine brighter so far this year.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #121: April 18, 2013, 08:13:00 PM »
Best pitcher in MLB that no one has heard of?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Ross Detwiler appreciation thread
« Reply #122: June 09, 2013, 12:25:03 AM »
We went to Potomac to watch Detwiler's rehab start tonight.  After he came out of the game about 50 or so parents/kids gathered outside the clubhouse to wait for him.  He emerged about 45 minutes or so later, and spent a good 30 minutes signing everything in sight, talking to fans, posing for pictures, joking around with the kids, chatting with the adults, etc., he seemed to be having a great time and was in no hurry to leave.  He really made a lot of kid's nights.  There was a whole little league team who got their hats signed by him.

Class act all the way. 

Offline NatsTheFats

Re: Ross Detwiler appreciation thread
« Reply #123: June 09, 2013, 01:28:44 AM »
That's pretty cool. 

I keep meaning to take my nephew to a game and have him fish for autographs for me.  I will pay him handsomely.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
Re: Ross Detwiler appreciation thread
« Reply #124: June 09, 2013, 02:38:43 AM »
Happy to see he got great reception, he deserves it.

Imagine if we had stuck with him all the way and didn't experiment with Wang (heh) for a month or so last year. Might have broken 100 wins.