Author Topic: Frank Cruz?  (Read 3386 times)

Ryan Zimmerman

Frank Cruz?
« Topic Start: August 21, 2005, 02:08:01 AM »
I think, Bowden was talkin about him when he was saying that ''I"m gonna sign a impact player on offence from Republic Dominican''

And that's some infos on him from washington times:

''Frank Cruz, a 16-year-old shortstop from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic, signed with the Nationals on Saturday, according to Ismael Cruz (no relation), the Nationals director of Latin American scouting and player development.
    Frank Cruz has drawn physical comparisons to Tampa Bay Devil Rays shortstop B.J. Upton. Bowden, however, said the Nationals consider Cruz the equivalent of a third-round draft pick.

He has good defense, a good arm, a switch hitter," Ismael Cruz said. "He's ours to take care of. We just have to develop him, mold him into a player that we want. Right now, he's with our club in the Dominican. He'll be there until the [Gulf Coast League] starts next year or spring training starts, and our plans are to bring him up right away. Let him experience the U.S. kind of baseball right away."

Montcobaseball

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #1: August 21, 2005, 05:20:44 PM »
How is a sixteen year old allowed to sign a professional baseball contract?  The rules of organized baseball say that a player must have graduated from high school.  So do you graduate at 16 in the D.R?

Montcobaseball

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #2: August 26, 2005, 10:18:53 AM »
So six days and no one knows?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Frank Cruz?
« Reply #3: August 26, 2005, 11:23:54 AM »
Quote from: "Montcobaseball"
How is a sixteen year old allowed to sign a professional baseball contract?  The rules of organized baseball say that a player must have graduated from high school.  So do you graduate at 16 in the D.R?

The same way every other underage player before him has signed, by having one of his parents co-sign the contract.

Scot

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #4: August 26, 2005, 11:37:49 AM »

different rules apply outside the US and Canada. In the US and Canada, you have to graduate high school to be eligible for the draft, and the only way to join be signed by an MLB team is to be drafted (or to be draft-eligible but not drafted in a completed draft, and then to sign as a non-drafted free agent).

The draft rules don't apply outside the US and Canada. International players are not (currently) eligible for the draft, and they are acquired by signing as free agents. the age limitation for signing international free agents is 16.

Scot.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Frank Cruz?
« Reply #5: August 26, 2005, 03:58:15 PM »
knowing Jim "P.T." Bowden and how he likes to talk, I'm going to wait until we actually see the kid play before passing a judgment on this.

Montcobaseball

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #6: August 26, 2005, 04:27:02 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

How is a sixteen year old allowed to sign a professional baseball contract?  The rules of organized baseball say that a player must have graduated from high school.  So do you graduate at 16 in the D.R?[
/quote]
The same way every other underage player before him has signed, by having one of his parents co-sign the contract.

It's not like buying a car Ken.  In the United States a sixteen year old junior in high school cannot sign a professional baseball contract.  He has to wait until his senior class has graduated.

Hardball in DC

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #7: August 29, 2005, 01:13:25 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"

How is a sixteen year old allowed to sign a professional baseball contract?  The rules of organized baseball say that a player must have graduated from high school.  So do you graduate at 16 in the D.R?[
/quote]

It's not like buying a car Ken.  In the United States a sixteen year old junior in high school cannot sign a professional baseball contract.  He has to wait until his senior class has graduated.

The Dominican Republic is not the United States or Canada or Puerto Rico.  They do not abide by the same rules.  Players can sign there, play at one of the academies and come to the US when they are of the appropriate age you mentioned.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Frank Cruz?
« Reply #8: August 29, 2005, 11:33:13 PM »

I know the rules of normality don't apply to baseball, that's why I replied as I did. But what does being a 16 year old in the United State have to do with being a 16 year old in the Dominican have to do with anything? If the rules were the same as in the U.S. and Canada, then the draft would encompass more than just American and Canadian born players. They aren't the same, that's why I replied like I did.

Are you telling me that in the Dominican, a 16 year old doesn't need to have his parents or guardians co-sign a professional contract?

Montcobaseball

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #9: September 01, 2005, 05:52:54 PM »
You are confusing a performance contract with a contract to say....buy a car or buy a house.  Of course a parent has to co-sign a contract for a sixteen year old to buy a car because no bank would ever lend a sixteen year old the money.  But a performance contract is different.  There the sixteen year old is the one promsing to provide services - just the opposite of when a bank loans money.  The parent does not co-sign such a contract.

Major League baseball requires that in order for a player to be signed his high school class must have graduated.  It doesn't matter where the player lives.  In Mexico, Guam, or Texas.  

So we are right back to where we started.  If this guy's high school class has graduated then he can sign a contract.  So the answer to my original question must be that his class has graduated.

Scot

Frank Cruz?
« Reply #10: September 01, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »

Major League baseball requires that in order for a player to be signed his high school class must have graduated.  It doesn't matter where the player lives.  In Mexico, Guam, or Texas.  

No, it doesn't. Not outside the US and Canada. In the US and Canada, a player is not draft-eligible until he's graduated high school. And he can't be signed as a FA until a draft as passed in which he was draft eligible and not drafted.

The draft does not apply outside the US. Draft eligibility does not apply outside the US. The restriction outside the US is that a player must be at least 16 before he can be signed. As soon as he turns 16, he can sign - whether he's graduated high school, or whether his class has graduated high school, or whether he never went to school in the first place. Outside the US and Canada, age is all that matters.

Scot.