Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP  (Read 33949 times)

Offline NJ Ave

Re: Follow the Prospects: Brad Peacock, RHP
« Reply #25: May 04, 2011, 03:49:32 PM »
Although, to be fair, Gavin Floyd would probably be our best pitcher right now, and if Brad Peacock turned into him, we'd have a great 1-2-3 with Strasburg and Zimmermann.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #26: May 04, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »
What are you talking about? You could point to hundreds of Minor Leaguers who had great numbers in AA or AAA and didn't do anything in the Pros.

Peacock or anyone else is no different. Scouts are not deriding his stuff. Guys like Kevin Goldstein just said a few days ago that he has two true plus pitches (fastball, slider). Goldstein says he is a big fan. Others will soon hop on board.

MINDFACT

For the record, I'm not knocking on Peacock - I'm knocking SF's tireless defense of him.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #27: May 04, 2011, 05:05:24 PM »
SF /NJ - clearly, the velocity comp makes Peacock a different type of prospect than the guys I mentioned. 

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #28: May 04, 2011, 05:18:03 PM »
I think it's a valid question why Sonnanstine (87 MPH fastball) and Kevin Slowey (90 MPH fastball) are acceptable comps for a guy whose value, in part, comes from plus velocity.

I mean, there are lots of guys who excelled in AA. Why would those guys spring to mind?

You could pick a guy with a good fastball/curve combo like Gavin Floyd who ripped up AA and hasn't become what he was projected to be in the majors, but comparing a plus velo guy to two soft tossing strike throwers doesn't make sense.
+1

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29: May 05, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
I think it's a valid question why Sonnanstine (87 MPH fastball) and Kevin Slowey (90 MPH fastball) are acceptable comps for a guy whose value, in part, comes from plus velocity.

I mean, there are lots of guys who excelled in AA. Why would those guys spring to mind?

You could pick a guy with a good fastball/curve combo like Gavin Floyd who ripped up AA and hasn't become what he was projected to be in the majors, but comparing a plus velo guy to two soft tossing strike throwers doesn't make sense.
Why those guys came to mind was the BB/k ratio, in high minors, at a comparable age.  as for the velocity, yes, they are bad comps, as I acknowledged.  It's the control that brought them to mind.

Oh, and before any trashes Slowey much, he was BA's minor league pitcher of the year and had a a pretty good second year in the majors (<4 ERA and 1.15 WHIP) before injuries. 

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #30: May 05, 2011, 04:22:49 PM »
Kevin Slowey's not even the best comp for Brad Peacock within the Twins organization from that year. That would be Matt Garza, who put up 10.7 K/9 and 2.2 B/9 as a 22 year old while featuring a fairly similar mix to Peacock of 4-seam fastballs with plus velo and plus breaking stuff.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31: May 05, 2011, 04:40:56 PM »
Kevin Slowey's not even the best comp for Brad Peacock within the Twins organization from that year. That would be Matt Garza, who put up 10.7 K/9 and 2.2 B/9 as a 22 year old while featuring a fairly similar mix to Peacock of 4-seam fastballs with plus velo and plus breaking stuff.

I'll settle for that, which is nice.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #32: May 06, 2011, 01:28:50 PM »
Peacock was named the #4 "hottest" prospect for the week on BA. Good to see him getting some pub.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #33: May 06, 2011, 01:32:21 PM »
Nice, he doesn't seem to be struggling with leaving his fastball up in the zone this season like years past.  A good fastball, plus his curve and changeup should give him legit consideration to make the rotation next year or the year after.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #34: May 06, 2011, 01:33:30 PM »
Nice, he doesn't seem to be struggling with leaving his fastball up in the zone this season

I call that the PJ Dean effect.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #35: May 06, 2011, 01:43:03 PM »
peacock has always put up decent numbers, but this is the first year he's put up absolute dominant stats and it's nice to see it's at a high level.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #36: May 06, 2011, 11:31:57 PM »
Promote him to AAA if he's been that dominate, which he clearly has been. We don't have that many good arms MLB ready so how bout we get Peacock ready?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: May 09, 2011, 11:25:56 AM »
Tweets from Keith Law.

keithlaw

@fauxshawn Erlin's a starter. Peacock's a reliever. I'm wary of Erlin's stats so far, though - Myrtle Beach is a pitcher's paradise.

Hope he's wrong.

keithlaw

'13 for Erlin, Peacock could be this year in the pen, more likely '12. RT @fauxshawn: @keithlaw best case ETAs for both?

If things keep going well, I could see him pitching for the Nats in September, as well.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #38: May 09, 2011, 12:58:15 PM »
Tweets from Keith Law.

Hope he's wrong.

If things keep going well, I could see him pitching for the Nats in September, as well.
They are going to keep him as a starter.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #39: May 09, 2011, 12:59:40 PM »
yeah i'd keep him a starter as well...although he was pretty dominant in AFL as a reliever (17 k's in 12 innings).

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #40: May 09, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
They are going to keep him as a starter.

It doesn't matter what the Nats keep him as. Law is saying long term, he'll be a RP, regardless of where he's slotted now.

Which is why I said I hope he is wrong.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #41: May 09, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
Law's also a douche.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #43: May 12, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
Picked up tickets for the Senators/Squirrels game on Friday night.

It'll be Peacock vs. Surkamp, a battle of aces for both squads.

Made sure to get the seats behind the scouts... so I'll jot down some notes on velocity for Peacock and give you guys the information!

Can't wait!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #44: May 12, 2011, 05:41:22 PM »
Picked up tickets for the Senators/Squirrels game on Friday night.

It'll be Peacock vs. Surkamp, a battle of aces for both squads.

Made sure to get the seats behind the scouts... so I'll jot down some notes on velocity for Peacock and give you guys the information!

Can't wait!

SICK.  tell your boy norris to go 4-for-5. 

« Reply #45: May 12, 2011, 07:08:25 PM »
i know its wrong to ask on this specific thread but what is so special about erlin?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #46: May 13, 2011, 01:40:08 AM »
Brad Peacock estimates that he pitched just 11 innings during his career at Palm Beach Central High School. Used mostly as a shortstop, he planned to attend Florida Atlantic University before his baseball life abruptly changed.
In June 2006 he was drafted by the Washington Nationals out of high school in the 41st round.

"I didn't know I was going to get drafted," said Peacock, who became a draft-and-follow pick and spent a year at Palm Beach Community College before starting his pro career with Washington in the Gulf Coast League.

"I didn't want to wait three years" to turn pro, said Peacock, who would've had to do just that had he gone straight to Division I Florida Atlantic.

Despite his late-round status, the 23-year-old Peacock began the 2011 season as one of the top pitching prospects in the Washington system.

A 6-foot-1 righty whose fastball has been clocked at 96 mph, he's currently 4-1 with a 2.29 ERA in his first full season at Double-A Harrisburg. He went 2-2 with a 4.66 ERA in seven starts for the Senators last year following a mid-season promotion from Class A Advanced Potomac.

"He's doing very well," said Harrisburg pitching coach Randy Tomlin, who pitched in the Majors with Pittsburgh. "He's started to find things out on his own. His stuff has never been a question. He has three Major League pitches."

Peacock said he pitches off his fastball, and he also has a changeup and knuckle curve.

Last year he led the Washington farm system with 148 strikeouts in 142 innings. He then pitched in the Arizona Fall League and had 17 strikeouts in 12 innings.

"He has the ability to be creative with his pitches," said Harrisburg catcher Derek Norris. "He has the ability to overpower guys with his fastball."

And his secondary pitches?

"It can be a lethal combination," said Norris, the top catching prospect in the Nationals system.

Peacock said the year he spent in junior college was huge in his development. He said his fastball topped out at around 88 mph in high school, but after a year at Palm Beach he was hitting 94.

"From the very first bullpen he threw for us, it was obvious the arm worked fine and he was an excellent athlete," said Kyle Forbes, who was the pitching coach when Peacock played at Palm Beach and is now the interim head coach. "He was a jewel to work with. Whatever you told him to do, he picked it up very quickly. His desire was off the charts. He is a fierce competitor."

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110509&content_id=18841660&vkey=news_l113&fext=.jsp&sid=l113

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #47: May 13, 2011, 09:30:23 AM »
Keith Law has always lumped in any pitcher with "effort" in his delivery into the reliever bucket.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: May 13, 2011, 08:36:59 PM »
I believe.  :az:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #49: May 13, 2011, 09:03:24 PM »
14 Ks in 7 IP for Peacock? Seriously wow!