Author Topic: Running thread..  (Read 16131 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: Running thread..
« Reply #150: January 02, 2012, 12:23:31 PM »
If you go to the fcc's website, you can get $50 from reebok if you bought their toners

These "shoes" always looked odd to me.   I remember some folks in this thread talking about starting easy with some of these new models because of bone and muscle issues.    Hell, I have issues with regular tennis shoes.   :)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #151: January 02, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
Those "toner" shoes are the footwear anti-christ.
These "shoes" always looked odd to me.   I remember some folks in this thread talking about starting easy with some of these new models because of bone and muscle issues.    Hell, I have issues with regular tennis shoes.   :)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #152: January 02, 2012, 02:14:37 PM »
Those "toner" shoes are the footwear anti-christ.

I've seen a lot of women wearing these in DC as their "wear to work" shoes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #153: January 02, 2012, 02:25:55 PM »
Absolute immobilization of every  muscle in your foot. They created a product to solve a problem that no one had, and caused new and innovative disabilities.
I've seen a lot of women wearing these in DC as their "wear to work" shoes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #154: January 02, 2012, 04:05:15 PM »
Absolute immobilization of every  muscle in your foot. They created a product to solve a problem that no one had, and caused new and innovative disabilities.

this is why women use them

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #155: January 02, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »
I'm buying those shoes because I see a butt.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #156: January 02, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #157: January 02, 2012, 05:01:55 PM »
Vibram's as low as $38
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/66612/sportchalet.com-mens-vibram-fivefingers-kso-fitness-shoe-gray-48-womens-vibram-fivefingers-sprint-fitness-shoe-gray

More styles as low as $59.
http://www.masseysoutfitters.com/Vibram-Five-Fingers/Search

If I could only find the socks on sale. $10 for each pair of socks is brutal.

Damn, that says that they didn't meet sales expectations for the holiday period.

Best price I found with moderate searching was $89 before Christmas.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #158: January 02, 2012, 05:35:54 PM »
A few more sales are in my Google Reader deal bundle but I picked out these two because they seemed the best options. Watch the fine print though. Just add to your favorite RSS reader and search.
http://www.google.com/reader/bundle/user%2F15902974097044851783%2Fbundle%2FDeals

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #160: January 27, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »
A few more sales are in my Google Reader deal bundle but I picked out these two because they seemed the best options. Watch the fine print though. Just add to your favorite RSS reader and search.
http://www.google.com/reader/bundle/user%2F15902974097044851783%2Fbundle%2FDeals

Oh, I'm set now.  Got a pair of the Five Fingers for Christmas - had to send them back for another pair because my sis-in-law ordered the wrong size, but I've had them for over 2 weeks now.  Last weekend I walked one day about 2 miles in them - and ran about 250 yards of that - and was feeling it all week in a few places.    :?     :old:

I've been wearing them in the gym and like that a lot.  It really adds an element of difficulty to a stairclimber type exercise.  Also like any exercise on a balance half-ball or whatever those things are that wobble when you stand on them while you do other stuff.    :thumbs:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #161: January 31, 2012, 01:32:12 PM »

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #162: January 31, 2012, 01:48:54 PM »
Oh, I'm set now.  Got a pair of the Five Fingers for Christmas - had to send them back for another pair because my sis-in-law ordered the wrong size, but I've had them for over 2 weeks now.  Last weekend I walked one day about 2 miles in them - and ran about 250 yards of that - and was feeling it all week in a few places.    :?     :old:

I've been wearing them in the gym and like that a lot.  It really adds an element of difficulty to a stairclimber type exercise.  Also like any exercise on a balance half-ball or whatever those things are that wobble when you stand on them while you do other stuff.    :thumbs:

I'd like a pair of them for running on the beach

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #163: January 31, 2012, 08:34:41 PM »
My daughter saw this and showed it to my wife. They laughed their asses off - said it sounds just like me.  :(

It's funnier if you get the inside jokes, which you heel strikers probably won't. :D

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #164: January 31, 2012, 08:40:05 PM »
Slow and easy when transitioning to running (if you do). BFR really will help you prevent joint damage, but the muscle strain in your calves and feet can be just as debilitating. I jacked up my right calf...

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #165: January 31, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »
My daughter saw this and showed it to my wife. They laughed their asses off - said it sounds just like me.  :(

It's funnier if you get the inside jokes, which you heel strikers probably won't. :D

It reminded me of this thread. ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #166: January 31, 2012, 08:59:53 PM »
Seriously, have you read Born to Run? :worship:  ;)
It reminded me of this thread. ;)

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #167: January 31, 2012, 09:01:24 PM »
lol, no.

But even the barefoot guys on Reddit were cracking up at this, so I figured I'd share if it would be humorous to all kinds of runners.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #168: January 31, 2012, 09:05:26 PM »
So one of the guys on my barefoot running forum did this picture of his right foot, 18 months apart. Baby feet to chimp feet. But this guy runs barefoot marathons and right through the eastern European winter.

lol, no.

But even the barefoot guys on Reddit were cracking up at this, so I figured I'd share if it would be humorous to all kinds of runners.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #169: January 31, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
So one of the guys on my barefoot running forum did this picture of his right foot, 18 months apart. Baby feet to chimp feet. But this guy runs barefoot marathons and right through the eastern European winter.
(Image removed from quote.)

I sort of understand what you're getting at, but do normal people aspire to have chimp feet?  Do chicks (that aren't barefoot runners ;) ) dig that?  I'm guessing the answers are generally "no" :|

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #170: January 31, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »
I'd like a pair of them for running on the beach

:rofl:

Offline imref

« Reply #171: February 27, 2012, 04:14:34 PM »
i started a couch-to-5k program today to get ready for a  5k in April.  First run went well, 5 minute brisk walk then 60 second run / 90 second walk, alternating for 20 minutes.

now might be a good time to get those toe-shoes.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #172: February 27, 2012, 04:20:17 PM »
i started a couch-to-5k program today to get ready for a  5k in April.  First run went well, 5 minute brisk walk then 60 second run / 90 second walk, alternating for 20 minutes.

now might be a good time to get those toe-shoes.

I'm thinking you don't have time to both acclimate to the shoes as well as develop your cardio properly.  Feet adjustment will require you to go too slow for your cardio plan of progress.

Offline imref

« Reply #173: February 27, 2012, 04:35:45 PM »
I'm thinking you don't have time to both acclimate to the shoes as well as develop your cardio properly.  Feet adjustment will require you to go too slow for your cardio plan of progress.

my cardio is pretty good, I'm pretty active, in good shape, and usually do something physical a couple of times a week.  I wasn't at all tired at the end of today's workout but my legs were getting heavy.  I just figured that given i've got 2 months to get ready, now would be a good time to make the shift to the other shoes.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #174: February 27, 2012, 05:32:58 PM »
Just go barefoot and skip the toe shoes.

I know, it's hard to do in the winter. I only manage about half my weekly mileage barefoot... tonight looks like an excellent night.

my cardio is pretty good, I'm pretty active, in good shape, and usually do something physical a couple of times a week.  I wasn't at all tired at the end of today's workout but my legs were getting heavy.  I just figured that given i've got 2 months to get ready, now would be a good time to make the shift to the other shoes.