Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44068 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #100: June 21, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »
Unless of course, they shut him down prior to making the playoffs.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #101: June 21, 2012, 11:04:22 AM »
Unless of course, they shut him down prior to making the playoffs.

It'd do a lot more damage to Strasburg's arm to shut him down during the year and then try to bring him back for the playoffs.

I'm really not in favor of that tactic.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #102: June 21, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »
Yes it does.

And, they're not going to shut him down. If we make the playoffs, he'll be pitching.
I guess if we shut down Strasburg we'll just forfeit every game afterwards?

There are 24 other guys in the dugout who will still be there busting ass every day. Gio is a legit frontline ace and ZNN would be the #1 pitcher on some staffs. E-Jax started in the World Series just last year. I'm extremely excited about our chances of making it to the NLCS if we can just get in the playoffs. Our pitching is nasty and it isn't because of just one guy.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #103: June 21, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
I guess if we shut down Strasburg we'll just forfeit every game afterwards?

There are 24 other guys in the dugout who will still be there busting ass every day. Gio is a legit frontline ace and ZNN would be the #1 pitcher on some staffs. E-Jax started in the World Series just last year. I'm extremely excited about our chances of making it to the NLCS if we can just get in the playoffs. Our pitching is nasty and it isn't because of just one guy.

Other teams will gladly let the Nationals handicap themselves.

The future isn't promised... so when you have the chance... go for it.

We all know next years pitching staff won't be as good as this year... so we'll be hoping for an uptick in offense to keep the club at the level it's at this year.

Sometimes your first shot, really is your best shot at winning it all.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Is this the same Gary Cohen who broadcasts Mets games?  Can't you stir up crap on the Mets board?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #105: June 21, 2012, 11:29:46 AM »
There is this small, evil part of me that wants Griffin to fail miserably.

Large part of me does. Nothing against Griffin, I like him alot, in fact I had hoped the Colts would draft him, to save him from the Redskins.  I just despise that organization.

Offline houston-nat

And houston-nat, you clearly did not read all of the article...

I did, actually, but the conclusion wasn't "So here is our specific plan," it was more like, "we're just gonna end by getting angsty about Strasburg's handling again."

There was the "shut him down now" thing, but I ignored that cuz it's dumb.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Simple answer: because the Nats want to win games. If a player wins the Cy Young or MVP or RoY, it does not win an extra game.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
He's really asking why not delay the start of Stras' season so that he has bullets left for the end of season and playoffs.

For one thing, without his early season contributions we likely don't even make the playoffs, and it's no guarantee with his efforts.  Let's just say having him in the rotation from day 1 improves our chances as opposed to reserving innings for playoffs that become less likely BECAUSE of the reserved innings.

Then there's the whole spring training conditioning thing.  Seems better to have him on a standard routine as opposed to a lone ranger joining the team in June.

And should the team be in position to compete they can make an informed decision about trading for or otherwise obtaining a competent replacement (Dempster?) which is not possible at the start of the season.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #109: June 21, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #110: June 21, 2012, 12:27:23 PM »
If we make the playoffs we'd be competitive with a top 3 consisting of Gio-ZNN-EJax. Very, very competitive.

Shutting Strasburg down does not mean the Nats are waving the white flag.

Agree. Plus Storen should be back, and Werth probably returns in August. I want to win now, ("The future is now"), but if it makes Strassburg stronger to stop at 160/170 innings, so be it. That still carries him into mid-September.

...and we really have no idea what Rizzo/Davey will do.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #111: June 21, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »

And, they're not going to shut him down. If we make the playoffs, he'll be pitching.

Wanna bet?

No way they deviate from their plan. Every fifth day and he will be shut down after 160 innings or so.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #112: June 21, 2012, 12:31:21 PM »
Other teams will gladly let the Nationals handicap themselves.

The future isn't promised... so when you have the chance... go for it.

We all know next years pitching staff won't be as good as this year... so we'll be hoping for an uptick in offense to keep the club at the level it's at this year.

Sometimes your first shot, really is your best shot at winning it all.

We are building a perennial contender here.  No reason to panic over this year.

Next year's staff will be better because of the continuing maturation of the top three starters.

And the offense will be better because of the development of Harper.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #113: June 21, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »
Friday, 9/14, at atlanta is game 144, the 13th game.  because 7/21 is a double header in the middle of a big stretch of days with games, we will need a spot starter, so that pushes the 77th game out a day. 

(edit - I may have miscalculated based on 77 games, not 13 starts)

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
The guy did seem like a "I've been watching only the Mets games and playing fantasy baseball" nut.

Re: his idea for "delaying" Straburg's starting. There is NO GUARANTEE that without Stras we automatically make the playoffs. Maybe we do, maybe we don't. The thing is it TAKES THE ENTIRE TEAM to make a run for the playoffs. Davy in some of his post-game talks and/or during "the Manager's Report" in pre-game radio broadcasts has mentioned it's a team effort.

Also even if Stras had been sent to the bullpen at the beginning of the season to "rest" before getting his starts, it might possibly take him a couple of months to get "warmed up" enough to help out. That would mean what that he doesn't get hot til Aug? Every win contributes to a winning season. Stras is 9-1. OK lets say he hadn't been there for those 10 games would our record have been the same w/someone else? Probably not. Maybe we'd be 6-4 or, or we could be worse like 4-6 for those 10 games. WE would probably have say 4 less wins than we do now.

Another factor I think has sparked us is the Harper Effect. I admit I was "lets wait and bring him up in Sept til he is ready", but we were so beat up with injuries he was brought up early. and he was ready to come up. He has been so phenomenal that the rest of the team is psyched up and he has made major contributions to the offense AND defense. Again we would probably have a few less wins at this point.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #115: June 21, 2012, 01:48:28 PM »
We are building a perennial contender here.  No reason to panic over this year.

Next year's staff will be better because of the continuing maturation of the top three starters.

And the offense will be better because of the development of Harper.

There are no guarentees we ever get back to this point

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #116: June 21, 2012, 01:49:05 PM »

I keep thinking Dan Marino.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #117: June 21, 2012, 02:04:37 PM »

Of course not, but you need to plan with success in mind, not failure.

Every great organization was built with a long range vision in mind.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #118: June 21, 2012, 02:05:35 PM »
I keep thinking Dan Marino.

I keep thinking of the '90s Braves. Many seasons of contending based on stellar starting pitching that was put together when they were young.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #119: June 21, 2012, 02:11:00 PM »
I think the plan of just running him out every day until he throw 160 - 170 innings was based on not contending.  I think they will make more of an effort to manage his innings load if they look like they are going to be in the playoffs. If it is a fight for the playoffs, then I think they just keep him on schedule and deal with needing a 5th starter when the time comes.

It's going to be a fight for the playoffs. I can't imagine this team having a huge lead and cruising in September. And of course they had the playoffs in mind when they set the 160 inning limit. Davey and Rizzo mentioned that it would not affect their decision many times.

Still taking all bets on whether they will shut him down.

Offline Baseball is Life

Dude is 9-1, leading the league in strikeouts and has a chance to the the all-star starter.

Yeah, let's second guess how they've handled him.

We wouldn't be even talking playoffs without him going out there every fifth day.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
I hate this thread.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #122: June 21, 2012, 02:18:28 PM »
I keep thinking of the '90s Braves. Many seasons of contending based on stellar starting pitching that was put together when they were young.

Please don't bring up the Atlanta Braves.   As an old Pirates' fan, I break out in a rash.   :)       What did they win in all that contending ...  one WS?    IMHO (even though I think shutting SS down is a good idea) "contending" doesn't feed the bull dog.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #123: June 21, 2012, 02:38:46 PM »
A quick look at the schedule would have Stras's last two games before the ASB on Sat 6/30 (game 76) and Friday 7/6 (game 81).

Suppose he is named to the All Star team, or is likely to be named to the All Star team, along with Gio?  The All Star game is 7/10.  Would the team perhaps skip Detwanger and throw Stras on 7/5 (normal rest v. SF).  That would allow the team to go Gio / JZ / Jackson and skip 2 turns of the #5 starter.  JZ and Jackson could open the 2d half (7/13 and 14), then you could shuffle in Gio, Stras, and #5 in some order over the next 3 starts (2 at Miami, 1 at home v NYM).  That takes him out to 9/4, based on 13 starts.

Offline MorseTheHorse

Dude is 9-1, leading the league in strikeouts and has a chance to the the all-star starter.

Yeah, let's second guess how they've handled him.

We wouldn't be even talking playoffs without him going out there every fifth day.

We have a 3 game lead in the division.  Stras has provided 2.9 WAR.  Seems to me like we'd still be talking playoffs without him going every fifth day.