Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 104569 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #650: September 22, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
On the way home from the HS football game last Friday I had to stop and wait for about a dozen deer to cross the road. I've never seen that many in town before. Hell, I think I've seen 3 at one time before.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that we have herds that big in my yard twice a week. We had three fawns born in our yard this year. freaking deer destroy everything. But we're right on the border of the Montgomery County Ag preserve, and there's lots of that forest/field border that they love so much.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #651: September 22, 2013, 05:59:32 PM »
Pups and Pilseners today in Crystal city next to Long Bridge Park.  I  was very careful walking by to make sure it was pups and not poops.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #652: September 22, 2013, 08:37:53 PM »
I'm not exaggerating when I say that we have herds that big in my yard twice a week. We had three fawns born in our yard this year. freaking deer destroy everything. But we're right on the border of the Montgomery County Ag preserve, and there's lots of that forest/field border that they love so much.

this was odd for being in Cumberland as opposed to the more suburban areas. Now leave town and you see a number of them. Bears too. ;)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #653: September 23, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
There was a bear wandering around the CCT here in DC a few months back.  A little male (<100 pounds) IIRC.  Apparently it was rooting around and pulling up bulbs from peoples' yards over in palisades. 

I think he's been reloed to a more salubrious locale where there's room to roam without stumbling into someone's garden party. 

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #654: October 28, 2013, 08:31:52 PM »
Wow, talk about prominent nips. I don't know whether she's currently pregnant or whether she already had her litter, but I suspect the former given how round she is.

She's also taken to picking berries off the dwarf crape myrtle on our deck. It's funny to watch. That's what she was eating here.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #655: October 29, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
Don't we have a no nipples rule?  :)

• babble on
« Reply #656: October 29, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
She's eating for 7, so you might need to put a bag of peanuts out

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #657: October 29, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #659: January 21, 2014, 11:28:24 AM »
Put out fresh seed and suet last night.    Critters are tearin' it up.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #661: January 24, 2014, 04:34:22 PM »
This is pretty cool:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2014/01/24/snowy-owl-joins-capital-weather-gang-at-the-washington-post/

I'd love to go down there with my 70–300 mm lens and a monopod, but it strikes me as a dumb idea because I have no way of knowing whether the bird would still be there!

• babble on
« Reply #662: January 25, 2014, 12:23:31 PM »
Sounds like s/he has pretty much taken up residence in the Farragut Square area...probably pretty easy to find, just look for a crowd.  Lots of lemmings on K street.
I'd love to go down there with my 70–300 mm lens and a monopod, but it strikes me as a dumb idea because I have no way of knowing whether the bird would still be there!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #663: January 25, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
Sounds like s/he has pretty much taken up residence in the Farragut Square area...probably pretty easy to find, just look for a crowd.  Lots of lemmings on K street.

Prime needledick country.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #664: January 29, 2014, 07:35:26 AM »
I've been getting bluebirds at the feeder and the heated birdbath this week. Quite a treat.

I see bluebirds occasionally, but have never gotten them this close to the house. 

Offline mitlen

« Reply #665: January 29, 2014, 02:52:37 PM »
I've been getting bluebirds at the feeder and the heated birdbath this week. Quite a treat.

I see bluebirds occasionally, but have never gotten them this close to the house. 

What kind of heated birdbath do you have?    I've been thinking about getting one.    Nothing too big or fancy (townhouse yard and common area behind the house) but I wanna keep the critters hydrated.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #666: January 29, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
Damned things are expensivel.  We like the green plastic heated one from Wild Birds Unlimited, but damn.

What kind of heated birdbath do you have?    I've been thinking about getting one.    Nothing too big or fancy (townhouse yard and common area behind the house) but I wanna keep the critters hydrated.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #667: January 29, 2014, 03:08:09 PM »
Damned things are expensivel.  We like the green plastic heated one from Wild Birds Unlimited, but damn.

The deck mounted one looks interesting.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #668: January 29, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
The birds congregate around the waterfall on our pond. Even when covered with ice, the water still flows underneath and the birds always manage to find it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #669: January 29, 2014, 08:18:04 PM »

We get goldfinches regularly, but bluebirds are a wonderful treat due to their relative rarity.

I once saw a Baltimore Oriole on the banks of the Shenandoah, but I think we've done a good job of pushing out those invasive species.     :twisted:

Offline mitlen

« Reply #670: January 29, 2014, 08:20:20 PM »
We get goldfinches regularly, but bluebirds are a wonderful treat due to their relative rarity.

I once saw a Baltimore Oriole on the banks of the Shenandoah, but I think we've done a good job of pushing out those invasive species.     :twisted:

I've been watching the gatherings and I'm recognizing the bird types.   It scares the hell of me.   :)    White bellied woodpeckers/wrens/juncos/chickadees/doves, cardinals, etc.   

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #671: January 30, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »
If you are feeding, safflower is cheap, husk-less, and most birds love it. Squirrels won't touch it.

I've been watching the gatherings and I'm recognizing the bird types.   It scares the hell of me.   :)    White bellied woodpeckers/wrens/juncos/chickadees/doves, cardinals, etc.   

Offline mitlen

« Reply #672: January 30, 2014, 10:42:12 AM »
If you are feeding, safflower is cheap, husk-less, and most birds love it. Squirrels won't touch it.

I buy Pennington Wild Bird (juncos, wrens, doves) and Ultra (nuts, etc. for cardinals and such).   I also have a suet feeder in the tree.    I don't mind the squirrels.    I feed them whole peanuts and walnut pieces.    There's one that comes up to me without hesitation.     It's the crows that I don't like around.    They're big, loud and greedy.   

With the warmer weather coming this weekend, I'll let 'em fend for themselves for a few days.    Don't wanna spoil 'em.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #673: January 30, 2014, 10:46:06 AM »
I buy Pennington Wild Bird (juncos, wrens, doves) and Ultra (nuts, etc. for cardinals and such).   I also have a suet feeder in the tree.    I don't mind the squirrels.    I feed them whole peanuts and walnuts pieces.    There's one that comes up to me without hesitation.     It's the crows that I don't like around.    They're big, loud and greedy.   

With the warmer weather coming this weekend, I'll let 'em fend for themselves for a few days.    Don't wanna spoil 'em.

.22 rifle + subsonic rounds = bye bye crows.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #674: January 30, 2014, 10:47:14 AM »

.22 rifle + subsonic rounds = bye bye crows.

It crossed my mind but that might piss off the townhouse owners behind me.  :)