Author Topic: Rolling a couple topics into mega threads?  (Read 2477 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Rolling a couple topics into mega threads?
« Topic Start: June 15, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
Any chance we can start to see a couple of the Harper/Strasburg threads rolled into two mega threads rather than having new threads constantly popping up daily?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Rolling a couple topics into mega threads?
« Reply #1: June 15, 2012, 12:06:40 PM »
How about make it so that you can't make a thread until you have 100/500/1,000 posts. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #2: June 15, 2012, 12:29:55 PM »
How about make it so that you can't make a thread until you have 100/500/1,000 posts. 

They actually used to do that on the old (pre-2009) official Caps boards (mainly to keep Penguns trolls from launching topics).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: June 15, 2012, 02:05:13 PM »
suggested to the mods a little sticky with proper posting behavior, like "before you start a topic, scroll through the past 3 pages and see if there is a thread already on point."  That's rule #1.  Rule #2 would be "MDS - keep it clean."  Rule #3 would be "nobody gives a rat's hiney about rule #2."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #4: June 15, 2012, 02:24:10 PM »
I'm working on merging redundant threads at the moment.  Will post a PSA afterwards.  Considering post-count/thread creation limits, though I'm uncertain on that since then you just end up with people posting off-topic questions in the closest relevant thread they can find in 15 seconds.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #5: June 15, 2012, 02:31:24 PM »
I'm working on merging redundant threads at the moment.  Will post a PSA afterwards.  Considering post-count/thread creation limits, though I'm uncertain on that since then you just end up with people posting off-topic questions in the closest relevant thread they can find in 15 seconds.

Lazy bastards  ...   :stir:

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #6: June 15, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »
While you are tidying up the internet would you mind orgnizing Reddit? That place is a mess.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #7: June 15, 2012, 02:33:38 PM »
Also please feel free (within reason) to report threads you feel are redundant or should be merged.  This notifies all of the moderators and allows you to add your own comments to the report as well.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: April 30, 2013, 10:53:26 AM »
Bump.

Seems like our newer posters are fond of creating topics worthy of 1-2 responses max, knocking the important threads down, while filling the front page with nonsense.

Just a personal preference, of course.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10: April 30, 2013, 11:19:10 AM »
Agreed. I've been reluctant to do the megathread thing to all these smaller topics on discrete issues that all relate to bad play / underperformance/ they are not what we thought they were.  I don't want to look like I'm squelching the debate. Do you have a suggestion for what to merge and a topic for the thread? 

We have at least 2 this player stinks threads - one for ALR and one for Danny.
We have a SF's .500 thread, which really could be in the "time to worry / worst thread ever" but is a bit more focused.
We have a few threads i've tacked an angry sign on that are mostly frustration about last night.

Maybe a thread with "Frustrating Things about how the Nats Play"?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: April 30, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »
This is the internet. I don't have answers, just complains!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: April 30, 2013, 11:47:40 AM »
If someone believes a certain thread should be merged with another, "report" a post with a message to that effect.

I merged two this morning (Nats bucks) and was going to let a few of the new ones age a half-day or so before merging them in.  But if folks want them merged now make the complaint so we can review.

It helps to be specific.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #13: April 30, 2013, 08:03:22 PM »
You're over-analyzing

Agreed. I've been reluctant to do the megathread thing to all these smaller topics on discrete issues that all relate to bad play / underperformance/ they are not what we thought they were.  I don't want to look like I'm squelching the debate. Do you have a suggestion for what to merge and a topic for the thread? 

We have at least 2 this player stinks threads - one for ALR and one for Danny.
We have a SF's .500 thread, which really could be in the "time to worry / worst thread ever" but is a bit more focused.
We have a few threads i've tacked an angry sign on that are mostly frustration about last night.

Maybe a thread with "Frustrating Things about how the Nats Play"?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
How about a "Panic in Atlanta" thread combining:

At least we've got our Ace going tonight
Teams with a better chance to beat the Braves
I hate Dan Uggla
Terrible Baserunning

Walks kill, < .500 team,  and Time to Worry I'd leave on its own becase they are more generalized

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Can't they all just go in Time to Worry thread?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Can't they all just go in Time to Worry thread?

I hate it when threads are combined and I lose track of where I'm at. On occasion merging is warranted but when in doubt leave them alone.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I hate it when threads are combined and I lose track of where I'm at. On occasion merging is warranted but when in doubt leave them alone.

That's fine... and as I said, this is just my personal preference... I have a feeling more feel like you do, in regards to less mega threads, than I do.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Trying to figure out what to merge with what can be a pain in the ass.  I mean there are obvious things like multiple threads on a player, but then you have stuff like the time to worry, sub .500 team, etc that COULD all go in the LoD thread, but time to panic kind of doesn't really fit entirely in that category.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I did roll a few into the panic in Atlanta thread. Most of them were on the lower half of the first page or slipped to the second.  I left the Our ace is starting because that was a hot topic.

I agree with Nathan that merging is usually more of a pain than its worth, so I tried to be conservative. 

In the future, maybe it makes sense to have a general thread on a series outside the game day area.