Author Topic: Backyard critters  (Read 105228 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Backyard critters
« Reply #700: January 31, 2014, 06:42:08 PM »
We get goldfinches regularly, but bluebirds are a wonderful treat due to their relative rarity.

I once saw a Baltimore Oriole on the banks of the Shenandoah, but I think we've done a good job of pushing out those invasive species.     :twisted:

Agreed.

Thought I saw one a couple years ago when a bird flashed across in front of my car, but I'm pretty sure now that it was a Scarlett Tanager -- another rare bird I've spotted down in the backyard in the last six months.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #701: January 31, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
And West Nile virus is wiping them all out anyway.

Hah, that is so 2000.

Crows today are coming back strong, as those resistant to the virus have provided yet another ringing affirmation to Darwin's observations on natural selection.

They're tough, smart, and obnoxious.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #702: January 31, 2014, 09:57:30 PM »
Agreed.

Thought I saw one a couple years ago when a bird flashed across in front of my car, but I'm pretty sure now that it was a Scarlett Tanager -- another rare bird I've spotted down in the backyard in the last six months.

Scarlet tanagers are quite rare and exceptionally beautiful.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #703: March 04, 2014, 06:41:02 PM »
Well, I had to give away my German Shepherd awhile back because it and my "ex" (?) didn't get along very well. So, now that both are gone, I got a puppy. He's a 8 week old Australian Shepherd named Gonzo after... Ted Nugent. I gotta keep the Rock N Roll theme :lol:

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #704: March 04, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
Well, I had to give away my German Shepherd awhile back because it and my "ex" (?) didn't get along very well. So, now that both are gone, I got a puppy. He's a 8 week old Australian Shepherd named Gonzo after... Ted Nugent. I gotta keep the Rock N Roll theme :lol:

(Image removed from quote.)
My outside dog is an Aussie mix. She's an awesome dog. Excellent choice.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #705: March 04, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
My outside dog is an Aussie mix. She's an awesome dog. Excellent choice.

Thanks, I was sitting at work looking on craigslist for craps and giggles when I saw Gonzo. On my way to a meeting in Gaithersburg the following morning I was texting the owner. When I got back to the institution I drove right up and got him. He's adorable and he loves playing with my one cat Greta. She'll get real close and sniff him and then when he pounces, she slaps the crap out of him. :lol: it's adorable.

Greta:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #706: March 04, 2014, 07:01:48 PM »
She'll get real close and sniff him and then when he pounces, she slaps the crap out of him.

Like being married.    :P      The photo of the pup makes me want to start looking for another dog.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #707: March 04, 2014, 07:40:01 PM »

Loved my Aussie. Keep him busy or he'll make you miserable. :D

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #708: March 04, 2014, 07:51:15 PM »
Scarlet tanagers are quite rare and exceptionally beautiful.

We've heard them, but never seen them.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #709: March 04, 2014, 07:58:36 PM »
Anyone looking for a couple good cats? :lol: I/we have 4 but I'm going to keep one. The other three are good cats, but just too much for an apartment and the ex's apartment doesn't allow pets.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #710: March 04, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »
Great Name !

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #711: March 04, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Great Name !

Thanks, this brings me to Nikki (Sixx), Lita (Ford) and now Gonzo (Nugent)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #712: March 05, 2014, 08:28:16 AM »
You need Sid (Vicious).

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #713: March 05, 2014, 08:58:09 AM »
You need Sid (Vicious).

Now.that would have been good. Angus was possibility too.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #714: March 05, 2014, 09:01:37 AM »
There was a thing I saw recently about the 5 smartest dog breeds.  I think Aussies were 3rd or 4th behind Border Collies (of course) and German Shephards.  That show the superiority of blood lines of the Aryan dog.  I think the typical Aussie can open a can of Fosters, but the German Shephard can open a bottle.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #715: March 05, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »
I think the Aussie's and the Border Collies were messing with us: they didn't take the test seriously. Typical German overbearing seriousness. Damn Alsatian studied for a month.

There was a thing I saw recently about the 5 smartest dog breeds.  I think Aussies were 3rd or 4th behind Border Collies (of course) and German Shephards.  That show the superiority of blood lines of the Aryan dog.  I think the typical Aussie can open a can of Fosters, but the German Shephard can open a bottle.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #716: March 05, 2014, 11:32:09 AM »
Terpfan should teach the dog to bark when he says, "G'day, mate."

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #717: March 05, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
For those about to bark, we salute you...

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #718: March 05, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
I think the Aussie's and the Border Collies were messing with us: they didn't take the test seriously. Typical German overbearing seriousness. Damn Alsatian studied for a month.

The Shih Tzu breed killed it in the math section, but tanking the driving portion so bad brought their overall score WAYYYYY down

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #719: March 05, 2014, 12:36:42 PM »
apparently there is a wikipedia article for everything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dogs#Smartest_Dogs

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #720: March 05, 2014, 12:43:04 PM »
The Shih Tzu breed killed it in the math section, but tanking the driving portion so bad brought their overall score WAYYYYY down

:lmao:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #721: March 05, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

Offline heeman82

« Reply #722: March 11, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »
Euthanized a deer at work today.

Online 1995hoo

« Reply #723: August 03, 2014, 06:08:59 PM »
I'm kind of at a loss here.

Two weeks ago (July 21) we came home after being in Maryland for the day and found the cat shown below sitting on our deck. We'd never seen it before. It just sat there staring at us, but when we tried to go outside to look for signs of a collar or the like it ran away to our neighbors' deck, then came back after we went back inside.

It's continued to show up, so we put up flyers around the neighborhood trying to find its owner (if there is one). No response from anyone. Meantime, the cat still shows up every afternoon. My wife feels sorry for it and started feeding it dry cat food at the urging of her colleagues at her office; I wasn't sure that's a good idea, but she felt guilty just ignoring it out there.

Problem is......what do we do about it? We aren't in a position to try to adopt it and let it into the house, but that wouldn't matter because after two weeks it still runs next door if we go outside. I have no idea whether it has been "fixed," which is one reason for my concern about feeding it (I'm wary of causing a litter of feral cats). Fairfax County Animal Control does not deal with stray cats because cats are allowed to roam free under county ordinances, but I wouldn't call them anyway because they'd probably euthanize it. My wife doesn't want me to try to get a humane trap from a "no-kill shelter."

Any ideas for what, if anything, we should do? (Edited to add: Ms1995hoo just spotted it out there napping at the far corner of our deck. So it has clearly decided it likes our deck for whatever reason, though I know it'll run away when I go outside to light the grill in about half an hour. BTW, the reason I say "it" is because we've never gotten close enough to determine its sex.)

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #724: August 03, 2014, 06:32:15 PM »
Tough one. Can you call the no-kill shelter (if there is one) and ask them for advise?

I'm kind of at a loss here.

Two weeks ago (July 21) we came home after being in Maryland for the day and found the cat shown below sitting on our deck. We'd never seen it before. It just sat there staring at us, but when we tried to go outside to look for signs of a collar or the like it ran away to our neighbors' deck, then came back after we went back inside.

It's continued to show up, so we put up flyers around the neighborhood trying to find its owner (if there is one). No response from anyone. Meantime, the cat still shows up every afternoon. My wife feels sorry for it and started feeding it dry cat food at the urging of her colleagues at her office; I wasn't sure that's a good idea, but she felt guilty just ignoring it out there.

Problem is......what do we do about it? We aren't in a position to try to adopt it and let it into the house, but that wouldn't matter because after two weeks it still runs next door if we go outside. I have no idea whether it has been "fixed," which is one reason for my concern about feeding it (I'm wary of causing a litter of feral cats). Fairfax County Animal Control does not deal with stray cats because cats are allowed to roam free under county ordinances, but I wouldn't call them anyway because they'd probably euthanize it. My wife doesn't want me to try to get a humane trap from a "no-kill shelter."

Any ideas for what, if anything, we should do? (Edited to add: Ms1995hoo just spotted it out there napping at the far corner of our deck. So it has clearly decided it likes our deck for whatever reason, though I know it'll run away when I go outside to light the grill in about half an hour. BTW, the reason I say "it" is because we've never gotten close enough to determine its sex.)