Author Topic: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread (2009-2011)  (Read 69399 times)

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Pro Wrestling Nostalgia Thread
« Reply #150: January 06, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »
Went to the first Wrestlemania.  Have the ticket stub.  Had to cut out early on my torts final in order to make the flight to NY.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #151: January 06, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »
I'm a fan of George "the animal" Steele. 

Real men don't shave their bodies.

(Image removed from quote.)

My brother wrestled him and said he was the biggest dick he's ever met.

« Reply #152: January 07, 2010, 07:26:45 AM »
My brother wrestled him and said he was the biggest dick he's ever met.

My friend's father used to be a wrestler and he said the two biggest jerks he ever wrestled was Jake the Snake (constantly on something) and the Barbarian. He said the Barbarian literally wanted to kill someone in the ring.

A hilarious side story to his career: He was in the business during the Doink The Clown and Dink The Clown days. One night, during one show, Dink's flight was late so he couldn't make it to the show on time, but the angle they had going that night required this midget clown. So what do they do? His daughter was with him at the time and the backstage people say, "Dress her up." So they "Dinkify" this little girl and tell her to run out to the ring when they tell her, smack this particular wrestler, let him take the fall and then run around the ring once with this wrestler (can't remember who) chasing her back backstage. Well, she does it, but apparently this wrestler had a really bad night, had a bad temper and apparently wasn't ready for the smack this little girl produced. Because he basically got so pissed off, he simply ran out of the ring, chased this screaming little girl in clown outfit backstage-- and they had to count him out because he didn't follow the angle.

She was able to get backstage before this guy caught her and was unharmed. But Dink the Clown was once played by a little girl and the crowd was none the wiser.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #153: January 07, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »
A hilarious side story to his career: He was in the business during the Doink The Clown and Dink The Clown days. One night, during one show, Dink's flight was late so he couldn't make it to the show on time, but the angle they had going that night required this midget clown. So what do they do? His daughter was with him at the time and the backstage people say, "Dress her up." So they "Dinkify" this little girl and tell her to run out to the ring when they tell her, smack this particular wrestler, let him take the fall and then run around the ring once with this wrestler (can't remember who) chasing her back backstage. Well, she does it, but apparently this wrestler had a really bad night, had a bad temper and apparently wasn't ready for the smack this little girl produced. Because he basically got so pissed off, he simply ran out of the ring, chased this screaming little girl in clown outfit backstage-- and they had to count him out because he didn't follow the angle.

The angle?  What are you talking about?  You mean, those people that said these things are scripted are right?   

:bang:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #154: January 07, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

The great thing about Steele was that he was a High School football coach so he could only wrestle in the summer.

« Reply #155: January 07, 2010, 08:43:41 AM »
The great thing about Steele was that he was a High School football coach so he could only wrestle in the summer.

He also acted alongside Johnny Depp in "Ed Wood."

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #156: May 07, 2010, 08:00:20 AM »
Bumping this because I have to point out something.

I remember someone saying that SF reminded them of Jim Cornette.

That's somewhat accurate, but I think SF/ASSCLOWN is more like Jerry Lawler doing commentary as a heel.

I was watching an old match and this comment from Jerry Lawler reminded me of the "he should be in jail for that crap" meme:

"Yeah, what kind of stunt is that by Ahmed Johnson?  The guy's not even officially back, and all of a sudden he shows up and injures Farooq!  I say Ahmed Johnson - he should be suspended for life, McMahon."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #157: May 07, 2010, 09:11:47 AM »
Good one Knorr

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #158: August 13, 2010, 01:22:19 PM »
Lance Cade passed away at 29.

Another one that died far too soon due to drug problems.

Offline imref

« Reply #159: August 13, 2010, 11:21:14 PM »
if you are at all a fan of wrestling, watch last night's motor city machine guns vs. beer money match, the best match on U.S. TV in many years.

here's the last 3 minutes.

Offline The Rock

« Reply #160: August 14, 2010, 11:09:08 AM »
Lance Cade passed away at 29.

Another one that died far too soon due to drug problems.

Definitely.  He had some addiction problems, as the WWE sent him to rehab a couple of years back.  He was recently released a few months ago by them for the 2nd time.  Don't know if it had anything to do with his prior issues or not. 

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #161: August 14, 2010, 11:15:55 AM »
Definitely.  He had some addiction problems, as the WWE sent him to rehab a couple of years back.  He was recently released a few months ago by them for the 2nd time.  Don't know if it had anything to do with his prior issues or not. 

He did not go to rehab.  That was the cause of both releases.  The first time he had a drug induced seizure on a trans-Atlantic flight.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #162: August 14, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »
Funny this thread should get revived at this time ... last week we had a long talk (and laugh) at work about 'rasslin'.   We talked about all the old guys ... Sanmartino, George, Calhoun, Steele, Savage, Hulk, Jessie, Snooka, Dog, the Harts, the Brain, Cap't Lou  ... etc.    I started to "youtube" a lot of old clips and interviews with WWF, etc.   Enjoyed the ones with Savage ... he's a nut.   The one that stuck with me the most was an interview CBS did with Ric Flair.   I never cared for him but it's an excellent interview.  My opinion has changed .... Check it out (it's long):

Offline imref

« Reply #163: August 14, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
just litstened to the bill Simmons podcast this week with Shawn Micheals.  Fantastic interview as he discussed his career and future.

Offline imref

« Reply #164: August 14, 2010, 12:23:28 PM »
He did not go to rehab.  That was the cause of both releases.  The first time he had a drug induced seizure on a trans-Atlantic flight.

the article I read said he went for 30 days and that was it.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #165: August 14, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »
the article I read said he went for 30 days and that was it.

My cousin was still working for them at the time and the official company line was he was released because he refused rehab after his incident much like Umaga.

Offline imref

« Reply #166: August 14, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »
My cousin was still working for them at the time and the official company line was he was released because he refused rehab after his incident much like Umaga.

i think it was the AP story that said he called the company after his release and entered a 30 day rehab program.  the WWE set up a program after Benoit's incident whereby they would pay for rehab for any current or previous employee.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #167: May 20, 2011, 12:46:57 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/20/randy-savage-car-accident-macho-man-dead-dies-died-killed-wwe-wrestler-florida/

Randy Savage has a heart attack while driving and runs into a tree. Dead wow. RIP

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #168: May 20, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
http://www.tmz.com/2011/05/20/randy-savage-car-accident-macho-man-dead-dies-died-killed-wwe-wrestler-florida/

Randy Savage has a heart attack while driving and runs into a tree. Dead wow. RIP

Ah man ... "I'm tellin' ya Mean Gene.   I did a 180, then a 155.   Oh yeah!"    Wasn't his brother the poet?

RIP Macho Man

Offline imref

« Reply #169: May 20, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
Sad news.  I don't believe he ever got inducted into the WWE HoF.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #170: May 20, 2011, 01:34:30 PM »
Sad news.  I don't believe he ever got inducted into the WWE HoF.

Who needs the WWE HOF when you were mentioned in Eddie Murphy's "Raw".  Or am I thinking about Mr. T?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #171: May 20, 2011, 01:46:49 PM »
WHAT?!?

NOOOO.

:( :( :( I LOVED the Macho Man. :( :( :(

Offline imref

« Reply #172: May 20, 2011, 01:48:59 PM »
another wrestler dying young of a heart attack. and his former wife died years ago from a drug OD while she was living with Lex Lugar.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #173: May 20, 2011, 02:09:49 PM »
Macho Man was a minor league ball player before he got into the business.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #174: May 20, 2011, 02:20:45 PM »
The last time I watched this type of wrestling was when Savage married Miss Elizabeth. That whole PPV event was awesome.