Author Topic: Guzman going on the DL  (Read 1963 times)

natsfan1a

Re: Guzman going on the DL
« Reply #25: June 25, 2007, 10:18:36 AM »
Who would have thought that we'd be missing his bat back in the Mendoza/Guzman line days? Props to Guze for coming back the way he has. Hope that he'll be back in short order and better than ever!

My concern is with missing his bat now

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #26: June 25, 2007, 10:36:07 AM »
That explains the move but I wonder if it will cost us an option, if so, that sucks. So when Fick returns in Atlanta someone else has to leave, Logan or Batista?

Options work on a year to year basis. A player with options can be called up and sent down as often as needed and his options status remains the same during that year.

ACCORDING TO ESPN's "Transaction Primer"

After three years as a pro, a player must be protected on a team's 40-man roster, or he is eligible for the Rule 5 draft (more on that later). Once he's served those three years, and assuming he is added to the 40-man roster, his club then has what are called "options" on him.

When a player is on the 40-man roster but not on the 25-man Major League roster, he is on "optional assignment." One common misconception about the rules is that a player may only be "optioned out" three times. Actually, each player has three option years, and he can be sent up and down as many times as the club chooses within those three seasons.

When you hear that a player is "out of options," that means he's been on the 40-man roster during three different seasons, beginning with his fourth as a pro, and to be sent down again he'll have to clear waivers (more on those below).

Offline esoteric

« Reply #27: June 25, 2007, 12:14:54 PM »
Get well GUUUUZ.  I've loved the fact that he's turned my avatar into a non-ironic statement this season.

Offline mikehughes

« Reply #28: June 25, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »
Losing Colome now isnt as bad as it would of been 2 weeks ago since Ayala is back and can take his place. Losing Guz could be bad with Felipes awful defense at SS.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #29: June 25, 2007, 01:47:55 PM »
ooks like we'll see more of Belliard for a while.

Finally Belly will be starting everyday instead of being reduced to spot starts here and there. I am extremely excited that we will be seeing more of Ronnie. His game Sunday was sensational! 3 for 3, and that amazing bare handed snag to bail Guzman out!

p.s. I am in no way shape or form happy that Guz got hurt. I've been really enjoying his play since he's been back.