Author Topic: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)  (Read 14865 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)
« Topic Start: January 11, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
"Food..." Index:

2009-2012 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=16296.0
2013 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30248.0
2014 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=30500.0
2015 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=32185.0
2016 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=33647.0
2017 - http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=34849.0

Agreed. But Chipotle needs to spread out the sour cream on the burritto. I hate when they plop it on one side.

Not just the sour cream, but all of the ingredients need to be spread out more equitably.

Online aspenbubba

Re: Food and How you Cook/Eat it (2013)
« Reply #1: January 11, 2013, 01:58:09 PM »
Not just the sour cream, but all of the ingredients need to be spread out more equitably.

Are you trying to redistribute wealth like the Dems?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #2: January 11, 2013, 02:07:37 PM »

I like that about chipotle- it's like a mini treasure hunt- you find a deposit of hot salsa, but then a dollop out sour cream

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #3: January 11, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Pica Taco.  Try the Torro Burrito challenge.  Delicious agony.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: January 11, 2013, 02:11:46 PM »
I like that about chipotle- it's like a mini treasure hunt- you find a deposit of hot salsa, but then a dollop out sour cream

I kinda like that too. If I do find an ocean of sour cream, I'll just take a small chomp at it and then hop on over to the opposite side where I'm bound to find meat, hot salsa, and rise.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: January 11, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »
Isn't that the 4 pound burrito?  I wonder if those guys sleeping on park benches in the park at 16th & Columbia just waddled across the street after leaving Pica
Pica Taco.  Try the Torro Burrito challenge.  Delicious agony.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #6: January 11, 2013, 04:37:51 PM »

Just get a burrito bowl with the tortilla (or the 3 soft taco shells) on the side.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #7: January 11, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »
Just get a burrito bowl with the tortilla (or the 3 soft taco shells) on the side.

freak that crap. I'm not going to pay someone to not make my burrito correctly

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #8: January 11, 2013, 05:12:46 PM »
You get more in a bowl than in a burrito anyway. I love making three little burrito tacos myself, then having half the bowl for later or something.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: January 11, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
One of the ladies on the cleaning crew at work has chickens and sells eggs for $1 a dozen.  I got a dozen and made eggs over easy for breakfast.  I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I swear they taste better.  I always just assumed yolks were yellow, but these are a real deep orangeish yellow color.  The only down side is that it's nearly impossible to make hard-boiled eggs that you can peel with them because they are so fresh.  Not to mention cheaper than in the store.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #10: January 11, 2013, 06:10:57 PM »
Have you tried a microwave hard boiled egg cooker ?  These are always easier to peel than eggs actually boiled, due to the inside-out nature of cooking in microwave ovens

One of the ladies on the cleaning crew at work has chickens and sells eggs for $1 a dozen.  I got a dozen and made eggs over easy for breakfast.  I don't know if I'm imagining it or not, but I swear they taste better.  I always just assumed yolks were yellow, but these are a real deep orangeish yellow color.  The only down side is that it's nearly impossible to make hard-boiled eggs that you can peel with them because they are so fresh.  Not to mention cheaper than in the store.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #11: January 11, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »
The microwave one I have (and I assume others) really doesn't microwave the egg.  The part where they eggs are is shielded by metal and in the bottom you put water, so they are essentially steamed.  Putting eggs in teh microwave alone can cause quite a mess when they explode :lol:

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #12: January 11, 2013, 06:39:47 PM »
Definately need a microwave cooker.  One can find this on Amazon or some discount department stores
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-64802-Microwave-Boiler/dp/B0007M2BN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357947504&sr=8-1&keywords=microwaveable+egg+cooker

The microwave one I have (and I assume others) really doesn't microwave the egg.  The part where they eggs are is shielded by metal and in the bottom you put water, so they are essentially steamed.  Putting eggs in teh microwave alone can cause quite a mess when they explode :lol:

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: January 11, 2013, 06:48:35 PM »

This is true. Fresher eggs are harder to peel. A week in the fridge is enough time to age them. If you want deviled eggs lay them on their side and the yoke with rest closer to the center. I've found that if you put eggs in cold water then bring to boil. Turn off heat and let sit in hot water for 10 minutes the eggs are done and easy to peel.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #14: January 11, 2013, 07:22:55 PM »
Definately need a microwave cooker.  One can find this on Amazon or some discount department stores
http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-64802-Microwave-Boiler/dp/B0007M2BN0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357947504&sr=8-1&keywords=microwaveable+egg+cooker

That's what I have.  It doesn't microwave the eggs.  The part where the eggs go in is completely shielded with metal so the microwaves don't get to the eggs.  It holds water in the bottom which the microwave then boils, so the steam cooks the eggs.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #15: January 11, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
This is true. Fresher eggs are harder to peel. A week in the fridge is enough time to age them. If you want deviled eggs lay them on their side and the yoke with rest closer to the center. I've found that if you put eggs in cold water then bring to boil. Turn off heat and let sit in hot water for 10 minutes the eggs are done and easy to peel.

That's what I've found.  Boiling the water then putting the eggs in makes it harder to peel.  Also letting the eggs rest for a bit before cooking so they get closer to room temp seems to help.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #16: January 11, 2013, 08:57:56 PM »
But the heat source is the microwave (as opposed to a pan on the top of the stove)

That's what I have.  It doesn't microwave the eggs.  The part where the eggs go in is completely shielded with metal so the microwaves don't get to the eggs.  It holds water in the bottom which the microwave then boils, so the steam cooks the eggs.

• babble on
« Reply #17: January 11, 2013, 09:16:24 PM »
Can't remember where it was, but somewhere in Africa I had these little hard-boiled eggs (little chickens?  something else?  no idea) covered with minced lamb with onion, garlic, hot peppers, and some green stuff that looked like oregano but tasted totally different.  They were flash fried in some kind of viscous tropical oil (palm?) and then charred over a fire.  Fuuuuuuuck were they good. 

[edit: not sure it was lamb]

Offline Nathan

« Reply #18: January 11, 2013, 09:18:45 PM »
But the heat source is the microwave (as opposed to a pan on the top of the stove)

I already have one :lol:  Doesn't work on the fresh eggs.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #19: January 11, 2013, 09:19:43 PM »
Can't remember where it was, but somewhere in Africa I had these little hard-boiled eggs (little chickens?  something else?  no idea) covered with minced lamb with onion, garlic, hot peppers, and some green stuff that looked like oregano but tasted totally different.  They were flash fried in some kind of viscous tropical oil (palm?) and then charred over a fire.  Fuuuuuuuck were they good. 

[edit: not sure it was lamb]

Quail?

• babble on
« Reply #20: January 11, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
Could be.  Kinda hard to detect nuance under all that other stuff though.  But my recent fried egg bacon bleu cheese burger tear had me thinking about those strange little egg snacks.   

Quail?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #21: January 11, 2013, 09:29:03 PM »
I can't do bleu cheese :spaz:

It just seems like it would taste like the trash juice in the dumpster at teh restaurant I used to work at smelled.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #22: January 11, 2013, 09:38:54 PM »
Had hotpot at home with all my Asian friends... sooo gooood.

• babble on
« Reply #23: January 11, 2013, 09:42:54 PM »
So, is oil or broth better? 

Had hotpot at home with all my Asian friends... sooo gooood.

• babble on
« Reply #24: January 11, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
mmmmm

dumpster

I can't do bleu cheese :spaz:

It just seems like it would taste like the trash juice in the dumpster at teh restaurant I used to work at smelled.