Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84684 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #200: February 27, 2012, 02:41:37 PM »
SS seems a little ambitious, but I'd love it if he takes to 2B

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #201: February 27, 2012, 02:45:46 PM »
I'd be happy with 1b- he projects as a huge power hitter, and has already had a terrible ankle injury- I'd rather not see his legs get taken out on a regular basis if he's our cleanup hitter

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #202: February 27, 2012, 02:46:25 PM »
I'd be happy with 1b- he projects as a huge power hitter

He does? I thought more of a 25 a year tops type hitter.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #203: February 27, 2012, 02:47:58 PM »
They're working with him at SS/2B. I think he ends up at 2B in the near future.

Do you think Espy will be the one moved?

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #204: February 27, 2012, 02:51:20 PM »
Do you think Espy will be the one moved?

Moved to SS, his natural position, yes.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #205: February 27, 2012, 02:54:10 PM »
He does? I thought more of a 25 a year tops type hitter.

the BP report you posted a few pages back seems to make him sound like a power hitter as do his college numbers (for whatever they're worth). Everything about him coming into the draft made him seem like an anchor in a lineup- I don't understand why you put a guy like that who has already had one bad ankle injury at 2b

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #206: February 27, 2012, 03:14:35 PM »
I'd be happy with 1b- he projects as a huge power hitter, and has already had a terrible ankle injury- I'd rather not see his legs get taken out on a regular basis if he's our cleanup hitter

You're right - we can just go to the MI tree and find someone better than Desmond.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #207: February 27, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »

He's more 25-30 homers tops with a high avg

Offline blue911

« Reply #208: February 27, 2012, 04:21:39 PM »
He's more 25-30 homers tops with a high avg

Yep,  like Edgar Martinez

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #209: February 27, 2012, 04:22:05 PM »

Seeing as Edgar is one of my favorite players of all-time, I'd be quite happy if that's who Rendon turned out to be!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #210: February 27, 2012, 04:27:04 PM »
Could be Vidro-like but with a bit more pop, perhaps.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #211: February 27, 2012, 05:16:52 PM »
Robinson Cano?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #212: February 27, 2012, 05:34:11 PM »
I prefer to have a guy like Rendon at 2b. I'm fine with him at 1b if Desmond/someone else showed up and played ball... I'd like to see if his ankle bothers him at all before I throw him at the 1b post. If he can hit like they say he could, then I'd like to see him take up one of the MI positions with Espy taking the other (preferably Espy SS and Rendon 2b)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #213: February 27, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »

except good enough to be considered a gold glover

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #214: February 27, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
If he did jump to 1B, would his ETA be bumped up?

His bat should be fine, regardless of position. The only thing I could see holding him back is learning the position, but if he moves to first, the process should be accelerated.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #215: February 27, 2012, 06:40:01 PM »
i think he'll be a september call up

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #216: February 27, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »
I prefer to have a guy like Rendon at 2b. I'm fine with him at 1b if Desmond/someone else showed up and played ball... I'd like to see if his ankle bothers him at all before I throw him at the 1b post. If he can hit like they say he could, then I'd like to see him take up one of the MI positions with Espy taking the other (preferably Espy SS and Rendon 2b)

I'm still holding out that Lombardozzi will be a decent hitter and we can play him at second base. Rendon in LF or at 1B.

i think he'll be a september call up

It was pointed out earlier, but if we do that, we lose him to free agency a year earlier.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #217: February 27, 2012, 10:39:53 PM »
harper=2012 ROY
rendon=2013 ROY

Offline RD

« Reply #218: February 27, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »
I'm still holding out that Lombardozzi will be a decent hitter and we can play him at second base. Rendon in LF or at 1B.

It was pointed out earlier, but if we do that, we lose him to free agency a year earlier.

I still think Rendon probably fits in LF here. I think he's the next Ryan Braun, minus a little speed.

I just wonder about his size at first base. He's not the biggest guy in the world.

It'd be great to get his bat at middle infield spot. Desmond and Espinosa still have a lot to prove, so those aren't necessarily filled long term, I just think LF is the 'easiest' transition for him to get his bat in.

My thing on where he plays next year is ... Next year our goal should be to win it all. That should be the goal every year, but I think next year is more realistic than this year. So we should be doing everything that makes this club better from day one. If that means Rendon is starting somewhere, then you start him in the bigs.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #219: February 28, 2012, 07:09:02 AM »
I'm thinking a mid-August call-up, when the team drops Derosa or whatever utility player is most expendable. Rendon to 2B, Espinosa to SS, Desmond to bench, and Rendon's hitting gives the Nats that extra kick into the playoffs. Let's win now.

I loved the Post's description of Rendon's swing.

Offline blue911

« Reply #220: February 28, 2012, 07:20:41 AM »
I still think Rendon probably fits in LF here. I think he's the next Ryan Braun, minus a little speed.

I just wonder about his size at first base. He's not the biggest guy in the world.

It'd be great to get his bat at middle infield spot. Desmond and Espinosa still have a lot to prove, so those aren't necessarily filled long term, I just think LF is the 'easiest' transition for him to get his bat in.

My thing on where he plays next year is ... Next year our goal should be to win it all. That should be the goal every year, but I think next year is more realistic than this year. So we should be doing everything that makes this club better from day one. If that means Rendon is starting somewhere, then you start him in the bigs.

He's taller than Prince and the same height as Don Mattingly and Keith Hernandez. I think the height issue is a little over worked.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #221: February 28, 2012, 08:08:43 AM »
He's taller than Prince and the same height as Don Mattingly and Keith Hernandez. I think the height issue is a little over worked.

Bring back Carlos Baerga!

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #222: February 28, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
The Post article today raves about both his bat and his hands defensively.  Apparently the plan is to have him play exclusively 3B this year at either Potomac or Harrisburg, even though he will get reps at 2d and SS this spring.  He says he is comfortable at 2d and played SS in high school (like a lot of guys, I suppose).

One question I'd like others views on is whether they should force feed him SS.  Can he handle it?  Will his body get too bulky for the position?   It is the most important defensive position besides catcher, but with strong 3d and second basemen around him, I wonder if we could get by if the bat is as good as they say it is.

I had heard the knock on his bat was power, but Porter raves about him and his ability to square up and generate backspin.  If he does bulk up a bit, then that would push him to 2d, I suppose. 

RD may have hit on the easiest way to get him to the majors.  I just would love to get the bat at a premium defensive position if we could and save the corner outfield position or first for a bopper with a lesser glove.

Since the link may disappear in few months, here are a few excerpts:
Zimmerman’s deal, for now, will not alter the Nationals’ plan for Rendon. He will alternate between third base, shortstop and second base during spring training. When he begins his minor league season — likely at Class A Potomac, perhaps Class AA Harrisburg — he will play third base, period.

Rendon feels comfortable at both second base, where he played last year at Rice upon returning from a shoulder injury, and shortstop, where he played through high school. The Nationals are confident his slick fielding will translate anywhere in the infield.

“Watch his hands,” said Bill Singer, the team’s director of pro scouting, while watching Rendon field grounders at shortstop. “He makes it look like he never gets a bad hop, because his hands are so soft and quick.”

. . .
The Nationals will find a place for Rendon because of his bat. Nationals scouting director Kris Kline called him “the best hitter in the draft” last year. When asked about Rendon’s swing, third base coach Bo Porter smiled, shook his head and said, “Ooooh!”

Last week, Porter threw batting practice to Rendon, and after Rendon sprayed line drives, Porter approached him. “I had your swing before the accident,” Porter said.

“What accident?” Rendon asked.

“I was born,” Porter said.

there is more, but the post blocks longer excerpts.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #223: February 28, 2012, 08:46:28 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/anthony-rendon-wows-washington-nationals-coaches-staff/2012/02/27/gIQAS9qmeR_story.html

:az:

Note to Hanley Ramirez.  This is how you act:

“I think I want to play third base until someone is better than me at it,” Zimmerman said before camp began. “If that means me playing third base for five more years and then moving somewhere because someone is better than me at third and it’ll help us win, then I’ll do it. If that means me playing third base for 10 years and then going to first base or wherever, then I’ll do it. I don’t care.”

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #224: February 28, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Jim Callis chimes in:
@jimcallisBA
No need to rush. Maybe in Sept, b/c he's already on 40-man. @brandonakrueger: do you think Rendon will be in the bigs this year? #Nationals

@jimcallisBA
Better bat, less glove but close. More advanced if healthy. @notrizzo: how does Rendon compare in development to Zim in '05? #Nationals

@jimcallisBA
Still think he was best player in 2011 #mlbdraft. @adamkilgorewp: Rendon has made a big impression at #Nationals camp. wapo.st/ABOb6S