Author Topic: Gameday Thread: Nationals vs Pirates, Game 1 (Curly W)  (Read 7788 times)

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I've been an Expos Fan since 69, and a Cards fan before that, I don't give a rats ass what the Nationals or Senators did in the past...

Does that answer your question?

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
WOw, i'm looking at the NAts history and Walter Johnson sounds like a stud. Man he had 416 wins on a mediocre Nats team he played 21 seasons for us. He still holds the record today for 110 career shutouts andhis career era was 2.17 Man if we had him today(RIP) he'd probably be lucky to get 10 victories.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "metssuck"
WOw, i'm looking at the NAts history and Walter Johnson sounds like a stud. Man he had 416 wins on a mediocre Nats team he played 21 seasons for us. He still holds the record today for 110 career shutouts andhis career era was 2.17 Man if we had him today(RIP) he'd probably be lucky to get 10 victories.

Au contraire, I think if Walter Johnson was a Nat today, he'd be 6-0 right now, with an ERA below 2.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
1, 2, 3... back-to-back innings... nice stuff...

Offline carlfish

Hey!  How 'bout our boy Zack Day??

Offline carlfish

metssuck wrote:

Actually, some of those Nats teams were pretty decent, almoct underated.  I'm not sayin' all those clubs were good, but at a time during Johnson's career, the Nats were one of the best teams.

Hey guys, here's some trivia.

Walter Johnson was with the first class going into the HOF.  Who were the other 4 players?

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
[Didn't we win one series. Who was the team we beat(if we did win one)?

"I think you guys won the Series in 1924"

That's right, beat the NY Giants 4 games to 3.  Lost to the Pirates 4 games-3 games in 1925, and lost to the NY Giants 4 games to 1 in 1933 (72 years ago.)  The 1924 team had 22 HRs in the season, 12 by Goose Goslin.  The NY Yankees were 2nd in 1924 and hit 98 HRs, 46 by Babe Ruth alone.  (Lesson: you don't need HRs.) Washington's future HOF pitcher Walter Johnson started and LOST 2 WS games in 1924.  He came in as a relief pitcher in Game 7, at HOME in Griffith Stadium, and got the win, in the 12th inning!  Sweet!  http://baseball-almanac.com/ws/yr1924ws.shtml

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
what's up folks?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"
what's up folks?

The Nats by 4  :D

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Quote from: "carlfish"

Hey guys, here's some trivia.

Walter Johnson was with the first class going into the HOF.  Who were the other 4 players?

I know three were Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Walter Johnson. Not sure about the other two

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

Babe Ruth, Honus Wagne, Christy Mathewson and Ty Cobb

natintheuk

Day is really turning it on here...just a shame he doesnt throw as many Jam Sandwichs!!

Should record the W tonight touches wood

Offline carlfish

metssuck wrote:
I know three were Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, and Walter Johnson. Not sure about the other two

One of the players was a great shortstop for the team the Nats are playing tonight ......

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Whats the attendance tonite at RFK? See some empty seats.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
WOW, I just found a Wikipedia page that shows the voting for the HOF in 1936... Check out the names of the players who didn't get enough votes... A virtual HOF who's who
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting,_1936

Offline carlfish

Ken, you got 'em all.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Quote from: "natintheuk"
Day is really turning it on here...just a shame he doesnt throw as many Jam Sandwichs!!

Should record the W tonight touches wood

JAM SANDWICHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline carlfish

Ken, looks like it was quite an honor to make it on the very first ballot with all those names.

Offline carlfish

I wish these teams were battling for a playoff spot, and not near the bottom of the barrel.  The Pirates were my number one team during the time we didn't have a team in DC.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
You said that right, Carl... Man, there was no disgrace not being elected that first year...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Great outing by Day, Pirates or not.  There's nothing I'd like more than to be able to take this avatar down tomorrow or Sunday.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Wow, looking at the web page kenz gave, i notice that back in the day foul balls didn't count as strikes. Pitchers were really better back then. If it was still like that today, Pitchers woud be lucky to make it to the fifth inning.

Offline Vladman1327

Quote from: "The Chief"
Great outing by Day, Pirates or not.  There's nothing I'd like more than to be able to take this avatar down tomorrow or Sunday.

It surely was, but now we have to hand it over to our :gasp: bullpen.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I wish these teams were battling for a playoff spot, and not near the bottom of the barrel.  The Pirates were my number one team during the time we didn't have a team in DC.

Do you remember Willie Stargell's pump batting stance...

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
WOW, I just found a Wikipedia page that shows the voting for the HOF in 1936... Check out the names of the players who didn't get enough votes... A virtual HOF who's who
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Hall_of_Fame_balloting,_1936

WOW!  I recognize 2 names, Johnny Evers and Frank Chance.  Weren't they the players in a famous triple play, "Tinkers to Evers to Chance."  I don't remember the circumstances, but I had a book of baseball history with lots of great stories, that turned me into a huge baseball fan.

Tea time for our British ally?