Author Topic: Who's untouchable?  (Read 1398 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Who's untouchable?
« Topic Start: October 16, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
I know that he is not eligible to be traded yet, but to me the only truely untouchable prospect we have is Lucas Giolito.  Rendon is pretty damn close but I would really prefer to hold on to him.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: Who's untouchable?
« Reply #1: October 16, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
No one

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #2: October 16, 2012, 09:37:45 PM »
Prospects? Probably no one. We're a playoff team one strike away from the next step

Offline Slateman

« Reply #3: October 16, 2012, 09:44:56 PM »
I just don't think anyone is good enough to be untouchable. Rendon is the closest. But given his inability so far to stay healthy and his primary position being occupied by Ryan Zimmerman, I'd say he's tradeable.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #4: October 16, 2012, 09:48:04 PM »
But given his inability so far to stay healthy and his primary position being occupied by Ryan Zimmerman, I'd say he's tradeable.

Hey!  he's been healthy for *almost* 3 months now!

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #5: October 16, 2012, 09:51:23 PM »
Meyer and Giolito. Top of the staff prospects don't grow on trees.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #6: October 16, 2012, 09:58:26 PM »
Meyer and Giolito. Top of the staff prospects don't grow on trees.

Giolito's going to be a monster.  I'd consider Meyer expendable, but it would have to be for an impact guy.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: October 16, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
Prospects? Probably no one. We're a playoff team one strike away from the next step

This,  we're not at that stage any more

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #9: October 17, 2012, 01:35:39 AM »
Harper?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: October 17, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
We are unlikely to get a shot at another ace we can control for 6 years for quite a while.  Giolito is untouchable for the next year or so.  As for Meyer, if he's the key to a Shields deal, then I put him in the deal.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #11: October 17, 2012, 09:28:53 AM »
Nobody is untouchable. Why would they be?

If Seattle calls out of the blue trying to unload King Felix at his peak, a year and a half before free agency, is Rizzo going to tell them that ANY of our guys are off limits? Of course not.

Hell, all of our guys have some pretty major flaws. Fans always overrate their own prospects. If we're talking about a potential superstar, I'd probably be more in favor of trading our guys before they're exposed.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: October 17, 2012, 09:39:59 AM »
Nobody is untouchable. Why would they be?

If Seattle calls out of the blue trying to unload King Felix at his peak, a year and a half before free agency, is Rizzo going to tell them that ANY of our guys are off limits? Of course not.

Hell, all of our guys have some pretty major flaws. Fans always overrate their own prospects. If we're talking about a potential superstar, I'd probably be more in favor of trading our guys before they're exposed.

WE'RE GETTING KING FELIX

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #13: October 17, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »
hogie - ok, I'd trade Giolito for Dylan Bundy, but not much else. For Felix, if i could sign him to an extension, I'd do it. For 1 -  2 years of the King, I'd hesitate a bit and see what else they want in the package.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: October 17, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
hogie - ok, I'd trade Giolito for Dylan Bundy, but not much else. For Felix, if i could sign him to an extension, I'd do it. For 1 -  2 years of the King, I'd hesitate a bit and see what else they want in the package.

given the failure rate of HS pitchers, I'm guessing 1-2 years of King is probably worth it, best case, Giolito is King and we loose the deal in a huge way, worse, he never pitches an inning in the pros- making a decision based on either is probably the wrong move, but I think the odds are against him being worth 2 years of king at his peak, especially since the team is competitive now and there is no guarantee that we'll be in a similar position when he does peak (I guess another question is: What is the value two years of a great player in the middle of a team's run vs. more years, but during either the downside of a run or a rebuild?)

Offline Upark25

« Reply #15: October 17, 2012, 11:27:30 AM »
I'd say only Giolito I know he is 3-4 years away but he seems to be our only A+ prospect. Rendon potentially could be, he just never seems to stay healthy.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #16: October 17, 2012, 12:18:02 PM »
I'd say only Giolito I know he is 3-4 years away but he seems to be our only A+ prospect. Rendon potentially could be, he just never seems to stay healthy.

Giolito is 19 and about to get TJS. I fail to see how that is healthy.

Offline Upark25

« Reply #17: October 17, 2012, 12:36:34 PM »

I never said Giolito was healthy, but TJS is just a one time operation while Rendon on the other hand has shown to get hurt multiple times in college and pro ball.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: October 17, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Christian Garcia would disagree on TJS being a one time surgery.

I don't think anyone is untouchable in the right deal.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #19: October 17, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
I'd say Meyer and Giolito, "because top pitchers don't on trees", as mentioned above. Plus Rendon. "They" say he hits. "Swings like Hank Aaron". Not many players get compared to Hammerin' Hank.

However, there are not many holes in this team. A big change from 2009 or 2010, or even the .500 team in 2011.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #20: October 17, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »

Actually, Giolito turned 18 in July and already had his surgery in August. TJ surgery is so common place anymore, I don't really see it being that big an issue.