Poll

Do you think "The Clubhouse" and "The Wire" sections should be merged, or remain separate?

Merge them
14 (82.4%)
Keep 'em separated
3 (17.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: [RESOLVED] Merge Clubhouse and The Wire?  (Read 2578 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
[RESOLVED] Merge Clubhouse and The Wire?
« Topic Start: February 24, 2010, 01:09:05 PM »
Just a quickie informal poll.  A poster mentioned confusion over this recently, and some others have before as well.  While I am personally somewhat indifferent, I can see where having only 3 sections might be simpler - Major League, Minor League, and other teams.  It would also save Tom and I the trouble of shuffling topics around.

Please vote, and if you have any additional thoughts, feel free to share them in this thread.

Offline Hondo

Re: Merge Clubhouse and The Wire?
« Reply #1: February 24, 2010, 01:15:49 PM »
I am a very active poster on CPND (very active Redskins board that has 50-100 members on-line(in FEB) at a time and has a great community) and they have everything lumped into one board.   It's actually really nice and makes keeping up with the board much easier (especially for the mods).

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: February 24, 2010, 01:22:03 PM »
I wouldn't mind merging these two since they're both directly Nats related, but I do like haveing the separate boards for the Minors, the rest of the league and OT stuff.  I've been on other boards where the separation works, but it can also go overboard with some of the bigger ones.  I have no problem with either configuration, which probablydoesn't help much, if it creates less confuson/clutter to merge the two, then I'm all for it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #3: February 24, 2010, 01:22:59 PM »
I wouldn't mind merging these two since they're both directly Nats related, but I do like haveing the separate boards for the Minors, the rest of the league and OT stuff.  I've been on other boards where the separation works, but it can also go overboard with some of the bigger ones.  I have no problem with either configuration, which probablydoesn't help much, if it creates less confuson/clutter to merge the two, then I'm all for it.

+1

I'd add to the comment but DPM said exactly what I was thinking.

« Reply #4: February 24, 2010, 01:24:30 PM »
Merge them. I'm tired of having to search two sections of the forum before I post anything.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: February 24, 2010, 01:25:56 PM »
No plans to collapse any other major sections at this time.  I agree that both the MiLB and "other" MLB sections warrant their existence.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: February 24, 2010, 01:29:38 PM »
I voted merge. I think the Wire was best left to speculation about players not currently on the team or potential destinations players on the team.  Trade speculation can lead to some not well thought out, dog chasing tail threads (e.g., can we trade a guy who we are about to cut for Johan Santana / that bum, he's old and makes too much money), so I can see trying to get that off the main board.  Maybe use of flags where you now have thumbs up on the topic list would accomplish what you wanted with the Wire, and even break things down more?  For example, maybe you (or the topic starter) can stick a flag or something on a style of post, like "TS" for trade spec,  :pimp: for budget bidness,  :spaz: for health, and  :crazy: for stat-heavy analysis so those types of threads can be easily spotted.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #7: February 24, 2010, 01:30:17 PM »
The only thing I would say about the minor league section is that in the past 10 days only 4 threads have been active.  At the bottom on the minor league board is a thread from september.  Toss all nats stuff together see how it goes and break off later if it's too much, it would be cool to have one place to get all nats all the time.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #8: February 24, 2010, 01:33:58 PM »
The only thing I would say about the minor league section is that in the past 10 days only 4 threads have been active.  At the bottom on the minor league board is a thread from september.  Toss all nats stuff together see how it goes and break off later if it's too much, it would be cool to have one place to get all nats all the time.
That would actually be my argument for keeping it separate.  The minor league threads get pretty active once the season starts and trying to wade back through the whole offseason would be rather tedious/frustrating.  I'd still keep the MiLB board separate from the main Nats section.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #9: February 24, 2010, 01:35:04 PM »
Merging is a lot easier than un-merging.  Very unlikely that I'll ever merge the minor league section, if only because of that.  It also complicates stickies, which we already have too many of in some sections.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: February 24, 2010, 01:35:14 PM »
for what it is worth, SoSH has a Red Sox board, a minors board (with a subboard with threads tracking various prospects), an all MLB board (with subboard with threads for each team, a subboard on the NYY, and a subboard for threads on PED issues), and a board on media issues. 

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: February 24, 2010, 01:37:16 PM »
I've considered sub-boards, but because of the way SMF presents them (they are still visible from the main page) I'm afraid it would only confuse things further.  Stickies and "collection" stickies with links to "important" posts are currently servicing the kind of organization you refer to.  I'm not ruling out any possibilities, but for now I don't think sub-boards are the answer.

I'm still considering your "sponsored player" idea, just trying to figure out the best way to implement it.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #12: February 24, 2010, 01:38:23 PM »
SOSH is the extreme, I don't think they're the model we want to follow, IMO.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #13: February 24, 2010, 03:37:38 PM »
and merging is off to a quick lead...

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #14: February 24, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »
I vote merge as well.  MLB / Minors / Out of Town / Red Loft / Uncensored would work pretty well, I think.

I most often read threads by clicking the DC logo to get all unread ones.  I don't really pay attention to where they are.  When I want to go back and post in a thread, sometimes it's hard to find it.  I gotta look in the clubhouse and in the wire to see where it actually was.  If they were all in the clubhouse, it'd be much easier.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #15: February 24, 2010, 04:42:32 PM »
Alright, I made an executive decision.  Thanks for the input guys.