Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Blake Treinen, RHP  (Read 5686 times)

Offline Glockypoo

Follow the Prospects: Blake Treinen, RHP
« Topic Start: May 02, 2013, 01:58:52 PM »

Blake Treinen
Up to date stats on milb.com:
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=595014
Born: 06/30/1988
Birthplace: Ossage City, KS
College: South Dakota St
Height: 6' 4"
Weight: 215
Bats: R
Throws: R
Position: Starting Pitcher
Drafted: 7th round in 2011 draft by Oakland
Prospect Ranking: Baseball America #19 (2011)
Acquired: Part of the Michael Morse trade with Seattle & Oakland

2013 Baseball Prospect Book on Treinen:
Treinen can run it up there in the mid-90s and his fastball has sinking action, resulting in a 1.88 GO/AO ratio. He has a good slider, but his changeup is fuzzy and will need to be improved if he is used in a starting role. He could move pretty quickly if used in relief, but with his strong body and clean mechanics, it is tempting to keep deploying him as a starter.

Baseball America on Treinen:
Treinen has a physical frame and hard stuff to go with it. He throws a heavy, sinking fastball at 92-97 mph. He complements the heater with an 82-86 mph slider with late, sharp break. He also throws a changeup, but it’s definitely his third option and he doesn’t fully trust it at this point. Treinen didn’t need his changeup much while working as a reliever in his pro debut, but he’ll go back to starting in 2012 and Oakland will make sure to emphasize it. He could be a No. 3 starter if his changeup comes around. Treinen has solid mechanics, using a standard three-quarters arm slot

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Follow the Prospects: Blake Treinen, RHP
« Reply #1: May 02, 2013, 02:59:58 PM »
BP, from the trade analysis:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=19403#WAS

...right-hander Blake Treinen offers intriguing raw stuff. A product of South Dakota State University, Treinen has shown velocity as high as 96 mph in the past, but rarely displayed that kind of heat in 2012. His fastball sat mostly in the 91-93 mph range and reached 94 during his outings. Both his breaking ball and changeup lag behind, leaving him far too predictable and hittable. Most scouts believe Treinen profiles better as a power-armed reliever where his fastball could play up and his slider may take a step forward. – Mark Anderson

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: May 03, 2013, 09:18:57 PM »
Nice start tonight in AA: 7 IP 5 H 0 R 1 BB 5 K

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #3: June 10, 2013, 09:40:07 PM »
RHP Blake Treinen: A sinkerball pitcher, Treinen is a now a starter for Harrisburg. According to Harris, "Treinen's changeup has really come on. His curveball is good when he hits it right. His strike quality has improved throughout the year. We are really happy where he is at."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130610&content_id=50200988&vkey=news_was&c_id=was

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #4: June 10, 2013, 10:24:27 PM »
Today, 6/10, Treinen gave up 3 runs (1 earned), 5 H but struck out 7 in only 4 IP.  72 pitches, 50 of them strikes. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: June 11, 2013, 02:17:44 PM »
thanks for the link.  nice stuff.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #6: July 19, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
Had a couple of rough starts v. Bowie, but in his last 10 games, 2.91 ERA, 58.2 IP, 2.16 GO/AO.  Low K rate ~ 5 per 9, 3 BB per 9.  I guess he is what we thought he was - a groundball pitcher.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #7: March 18, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »
Quote from: Adam Kilgore
Blake Treinen is not on the 40-man roster, but he’s still in camp. The right-hander, acquired with Ian Krol and A.J. Cole in the trade that sent Michael Morse to Seattle, been turning a lot of heads. One of his fastballs in a game last week zipped at 98 mph. One scout said he clocked Treinen’s fastball at 101 during an amped-up start in one of Harrisburg’s playoff games last year. It wouldn’t be a surprise at all if he finds himself in Washington at some point this summer.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/03/18/nationals-observations-on-an-off-day/

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #8: April 23, 2014, 10:51:58 PM »
Treinen started today but was pulled with one out in the second. No game story: just box score and summary. I'm guessing he was hurt, which would be sad.

Story now:
Meanwhile, four Chiefs pitchers combined to shut down Louisville (9-10) in the game. Blake Treinen started and pitched one-and-one-third innings in his return from a major-league relief stint, and Daniel Stange recorded the final two outs of the second. Laffey then entered the game and tossed six strong innings of relief, allowing just two hits and one walk while striking out five, to earn his second win in as many games. Right-hander Manny Delcarmen closed out the game with a 1-2-3 ninth.

Which doesn't explain much. Either Treinen was hurt or the Syracuse manager pulled a move from Bucky Harris in about 1924. As best I remember the story (read it when I was a kid): Bucky started a lefty pitcher so the other team started some strong right-handed hitters. After one pitch, Bucky pulled his starter for a right-hander. Other team replaced some right-handed hitters with lefties. After an inning, Bucky switched pitchers again, replacing the right-hander with a lefty. He got the other teams best hitters announced, used, and out of the game.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: April 23, 2014, 11:05:55 PM »
Treinen started today but was pulled with one out in the second. No game story: just box score and summary. I'm guessing he was hurt, which would be sad.

They may be building up his pitch count.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: April 23, 2014, 11:08:50 PM »

or he's taking Jordan's spot in the rotation.  Williams alluded to it as much on WJFK yesterday.  So he'd start on Sunday against the Padres.

Offline welch

« Reply #11: April 23, 2014, 11:13:25 PM »
or he's taking Jordan's spot in the rotation.  Williams alluded to it as much on WJFK yesterday.  So he'd start on Sunday against the Padres.

That's what I had guessed. Why have Treinen start? Puzzling. Why pull him after he gets one out in the second? Maybe to catch a plane from Louisville to DC? (I think Syracuse is at L'ville...)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #12: April 23, 2014, 11:25:27 PM »
That's what I had guessed. Why have Treinen start? Puzzling. Why pull him after he gets one out in the second? Maybe to catch a plane from Louisville to DC? (I think Syracuse is at L'ville...)

maybe they treated it like a side session between starts?

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #13: April 23, 2014, 11:58:37 PM »
Threw a lot of pitches in the first

Jason Benetti ‏@jasonbenetti  4h
Blake Treinen's return to @SyracuseChiefs begins with a scoreless 32-pitch 1st inning against @LouisvilleBats (@Reds @TripleABaseball).

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: April 24, 2014, 08:36:31 AM »
Call him up

Offline natasaurus

« Reply #15: April 24, 2014, 03:38:38 PM »

They are. I was listening via Syracuse Chiefs Radio, and they said that he was only scheduled to throw 40 pitches, which is right around the number he did throw.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #16: May 11, 2014, 03:22:22 PM »
Treinen today: 7 IP 4 hits 1 run  0 bb 5 K

Offline welch

« Reply #17: May 17, 2014, 12:18:08 AM »
Treinen won his second game tonight: 5 2/3 innings pitched, 2 run, both earned, 0 BB, 4 K. ERA now 1.96

Online Slateman

« Reply #18: May 17, 2014, 02:46:32 PM »
Keep working on those secondary pitches buddy

Offline whytev

« Reply #19: December 11, 2014, 08:51:52 PM »
You guys.

So is this guy a starter or a reliever?

He did a pretty good job starting when Gio was injured, but at the same time, I keep hearing rumours of him maybe being groomed to close.

With Detwiler gone, what is next for Treinen?

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #20: December 11, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »
You guys.

So is this guy a starter or a reliever?

He did a pretty good job starting when Gio was injured, but at the same time, I keep hearing rumours of him maybe being groomed to close.

With Detwiler gone, what is next for Treinen?

Starter for when we can't sign Zimmermann and Fister...so soon...

Offline whytev

« Reply #21: December 11, 2014, 09:09:01 PM »
Starter for when we can't sign Zimmermann and Fister...so soon...

Do you think he's next?  Could Cole leapfrog him?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #22: December 11, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
Do you think he's next?  Could Cole leapfrog him?
I think that Treinen is the emergency long man/spot starter, but Cole is the guy who will actually take one of the rotation spots if one opens up.

Online Slateman

« Reply #23: December 11, 2014, 09:21:24 PM »
I think that Treinen is the emergency long man/spot starter, but Cole is the guy who will actually take one of the rotation spots if one opens up.
Agreed. Cole's ceiling is so much higher.

Offline whytev

« Reply #24: December 11, 2014, 09:21:27 PM »

He could almost become the new Stammen.