Author Topic: Nice move Jimbo  (Read 4828 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

Nice move Jimbo
« Topic Start: July 24, 2008, 09:25:59 PM »
Now that Estrada is gone, can we move Jimbo's worthless ass next? Cordero has given this club several good years and deserves to be treated better than that by Jimbo.

Cordero's agent upset with GM's timing
Bowden announces closer will not be tendered new contract
By Bill Ladson / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Closer Chad Cordero's agent, Larry Reynolds, seemed miffed that Nationals general manager Jim Bowden has announced that Cordero would be non-tendered. Usually, such an announcement is made during the offseason.
Bowden first gave the news to Sports Talk 980 AM in Washington on Wednesday afternoon. Bowden later confirmed that in an e-mail to MLB.com during Wednesday night's game between the Nationals and Giants.

Cordero and the Nationals avoided arbitration this past offseason when Cordero agreed to terms on a one-year, $6.2 million contract on Jan. 11. The Nationals were hoping that Cordero would be just as productive as he was the previous four-plus seasons, but he played in only six games because of a labrum tear in his right shoulder.

Had they decided to tender him a contract, Cordero could be offered a 20 percent pay cut per the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

"The timing of discussing non-tendering Chad Cordero is surprising, particularly at this time of the year, but that is the Nationals' prerogative," Reynolds said in a statement after the Nationals were blanked by the Giants on Thursday. "We expect Chad to be fully recovered and if the Nationals decide to non-tender him come December, we will react accordingly. Chad's a proven closer, he is working hard to get back on the mound and I am not concerned regardless of what the Nationals decide to do."

One baseball source said that Cordero is so angry by the early announcement that he plans not to re-sign with the Nationals next year.

Cordero has been one of the best closers in Nationals/Expos history, saving 128 games with a 2.78 ERA.

Bill Ladson is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Offline wisefan11

• This is Nat Country
Re: Nice move Jimbo
« Reply #1: July 24, 2008, 09:29:19 PM »
Second this. Just the latest classless action by our soon to be former GM.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #2: July 24, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
I bet Bowden is going to tender him a contract now.  All this move did was cost the Lerners a few million bucks and made Chief unhappy...great.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: July 24, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »
"One baseball source said that Cordero is so angry by the early announcement that he plans not to re-sign with the Nationals next year."

Real good, Jimbo, you idiot!
I wish we could "non-tender" your worthless contract!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: July 24, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
What were we supposed to do, pay him $5 million dollars next year even though he's not going to pitch all year?

« Reply #5: July 24, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »
JimBo is such an idiot. It's no wonder no decent player wants to come or stay in DC.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #6: July 24, 2008, 09:40:07 PM »
What were we supposed to do, pay him $5 million dollars next year even though he's not going to pitch all year?

This was 100% right. We can negotiate with him in May when he's cooled off. No team will sign him to rehab for a year. We can give him a nice 2 year average salary, but paying him 5 mil next year to not play and then become a FA would be grounds for termination. This is a mind over heart situation. Why should we pay him 5 mil next year with no strings attached for 2010?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #7: July 24, 2008, 09:40:54 PM »
Don't forget we have 10 days to trade him still. JB may pull something off.

Offline Vladman1327

« Reply #8: July 24, 2008, 09:43:52 PM »
The Nats should hire Paul DePodesta to replace Bowden.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #9: July 24, 2008, 09:51:09 PM »
Strange move. Cordero had to suspect this was coming.  Although unorthodox and maybe in bad taste, an argument could be made that honesty is the best policy. Why string Chad along? Tell him what you are doing so we can speed along any sort of divorce or reunion. Cut the BS.

I guess I'd like to know I was going to be cut months ahead of time so I can get my **** together or motivate myself to get better sooner even if to spite the old team.

Consider this a favor Chad, now maybe you'll work out more than 3 days a week in the offseason. Get yourself a Total Gym and a Foreman Grill

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: July 24, 2008, 09:55:04 PM »
I'm sorry, the agent is a dope and Cordero has no right to be miffed.  Who cares when the announcement is made?  If anything, the more lead time the player has, the better for him.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Cordero didn't seem concerned when he was burning those 84 mph fastballs in while insisting he was fine, nothing was wrong. 

So who was being honest here, Bowden or Cordero?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: July 24, 2008, 09:56:11 PM »
Strange move. Although Cordero had to suspect this was coming.  Although unorthodox and maybe in bad taste, an argument could be made that honesty is the best policy. Why string Chad along? Tell him what you are doing so we can speed along any sort of divorce or reunion. Cut the BS.

I guess I'd like to know I was going to be cut months ahead of time so I can get my **** together or motivate myself to get better sooner even if to spite the old team.

Consider this a favor Chad, now maybe you'll work out more than 3 days a week in the offseason? Get yourself a Total Gym and a Foreman Grill

:clap:

I posted my response before I saw your note, but we're 100% in agreement on this one.

« Reply #12: July 24, 2008, 09:56:36 PM »
I'm sorry, the agent is a dope and Cordero has no right to be miffed.  Who cares when the announcement is made?  If anything, the more lead time the player has, the better for him.  I don't see what all the fuss is about.  Cordero didn't seem concerned when he was burning those 84 mph fastballs in while insisting he was fine, nothing was wrong. 

So who was being honest here, Bowden or Cordero?

Yeah, Willie Randolph would totally appreciate JimBo's "honesty."

Offline Dave B

« Reply #13: July 24, 2008, 09:56:56 PM »
:clap:

I posted my response before I saw your note, but we're 100% in agreement on this one.

word

Offline Dave B

« Reply #14: July 24, 2008, 09:58:15 PM »
Yeah, Willie Randolph would totally appreciate JimBo's "honesty."

I dont see how the two are related, completely different scenarios

Offline PC

« Reply #15: July 24, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »

I think the issue is that if wasn't necessary to do this now.  It's not an issue that has to be decided or even discussed, right now.

There's nothing gained by doing this now.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: July 24, 2008, 10:00:51 PM »
Does anybody on the face of the earth think the Nats were actually going to offer Cordero?  It was a no-brainer that he'd be non-tendered.  Is this another one of those bizarre unwritten rules that if violated cause tender feelings to be bruised?   :roll:

All Bowden did was admit the obvious.

Offline PC

« Reply #17: July 24, 2008, 10:02:28 PM »
Does anybody on the face of the earth think the Nats were actually going to offer Cordero?  It was a no-brainer that he'd be non-tendered.  Is this another one of those bizarre unwritten rules that if violated cause tender feelings to be bruised?   :roll:

All Bowden did was admit the obvious.

Again, what did anybody gain by doing this now?

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #18: July 24, 2008, 10:02:46 PM »
Anyone who thinks this was a bad move by JB doesn't know what they are talking about. Codero made one mil per game and only played 6 games this year. Are you telling me that he should be paid for next year when he probably wont pitch at all at the MLB level until 2010. Should Codero be suprised. Hell No!!! This was discussed on this board weeks ago and the conclusion was this was how it was going down. He should have known that this was the only prudent thing the Nats' could do. Did his agent have his head up his butt?

Codero was declining every year and most baseball people had him as a set-up man not a closer.You don't reward somebody with one very good year with a multi- million contract in hopes that they will pitch for you at the same level when they recover as they did previously.

« Reply #19: July 24, 2008, 10:02:51 PM »
I dont see how the two are related, completely different scenarios

Both GMs practicing pretty bad communication, business ethic, and timing? I don't see how you can't see the relation.

It was more of a joke than anything else anyways.

EDIT: I don't find the overall move bad, just the way it is being handled in the public on both sides: JimBo and the agent. Could be handled with a little more taste.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #20: July 24, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
Again, what did anybody gain by doing this now?

Cordero and his agent gain by having more time to plot their strategy, knowing the Nats won't tender.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #21: July 24, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »
the BS.

Consider this a favor Chad, now maybe you'll work out more than 3 days a week in the offseason. Get yourself a Total Gym and a Foreman Grill

I did some rehab with Codero and I was not impressed with his energy level  or dedication. He certainally didn't look like a 6 million dollar man to me.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #22: July 24, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »
I'm confused ... is the agent claiming this move is a surprise??? Really?? ..... Really??

Offline Dave B

« Reply #23: July 24, 2008, 10:13:28 PM »
Both GMs practicing pretty bad communication, business ethic, and timing? I don't see how you can't see the relation.

It was more of a joke than anything else anyways.

EDIT: I don't find the overall move bad, just the way it is being handled in the public on both sides: JimBo and the agent. Could be handled with a little more taste.

Chad is sitting at home on the couch.  Not strung along. If anything the opposite.

Randolph was trying to perform a job, was made to board a flight to the West coast and was fired at like 3am after 1 game out there, IIRC, after being strung along forever. 

I dont think either was fired in the press. 

MrMadison

« Reply #24: July 24, 2008, 10:14:04 PM »
I wonder what the response would be here, if a soon-to-be major free agent spoke to the media right now, months before free agency starts and said "Oh I'm not even going to consider Washington. pfffft who wants to play there?"

this just isn't something that needs to be dragged out in public, in the middle of the season, months before anything actually NEEDS to be done.

you can make all the snarky comments about Cordero you like, but this was not handled with class.

now that he's done running his mouth and grandstanding to the public(as usual), Bowden should follow through and just cut Cordero right this second and be done with it.

I don't see the point of announcing this to the press, and making a big deal out of it in public. Bowden could have told Cordero "we are going to non-tender you, so be prepared", and then when the time came he could have just did it. and Cordero would have all the lead time he needed.

there was nothing, absolutely nothing gained by making this public so early.  Knowing Bowden, he probably didn't even bother telling Cordero himself, and Cordero found out about it through the media like we did.

that said, I don't disagree with non-tendering Cordero, it is the logical move. But there was ABSOLUTELY NO REASON for Bowden to carry on like he did here.  Just do it when the time comes, don't go grandstanding.

I imagine it went down a little like this:

Bowden: "Everybody Look how smart I am, I'm gonna non-tender Cordero in 4 months!"
Media Person: "How did Cordero take the news?"
Bowden: "huh?"
Media Person: "How did Cordero take the news that he's going to be non-tendered?  you did tell him right?"
Bowden: "oh..uh....hey, Look I'm so smart! I'm the greatest GM in the world! I figured out that Cordero isn't worth 6m!"

Cordero watching on TV: "when was he planning on telling ME this?"