Author Topic: I Really Wish Jayson Werth Would Keep His Mouth Closed  (Read 3244 times)

Offline John

that got me as well. not only did they give him a ridiculous amount of years, but they backloaded it. i really dont get why the Nats would backload a 7 year contract for a 32 year old outfielder
Bringing in more revenue after they make the playoffs and possibly winning the World Series in 3 years?

I think the team is serious and optimistic about that goal even though they have not said it publicly.

Offline DPMOmaha

It has something to do with how the luxury tax is figured, I believe.  I don't recall all the intricacies of it, but someone will be able to explain it to you soon.

Offline John

It has something to do with how the luxury tax is figured, I believe.  I don't recall all the intricacies of it, but someone will be able to explain it to you soon.
That doesn't make sense to me. So far as I know only the Yankees, Angels, Tigers, and Red Sox have paid a luxury tax.

The Nationals are in no danger of paying a tax like that in the next few years, assuming things stay the way they are or close.

If anything they may be in danger of paying the tax towards the end of Werth's contract as they increased their chances by backloading it.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'm pretty sure that was why they did it that way.  If they continue to be as aggressive in the future as they were this year, they'll be at the luxury tax threshold soon. 

Offline John

I'm pretty sure that was why they did it that way.  If they continue to be as aggressive in the future as they were this year, they'll be at the luxury tax threshold soon.  
To pay an extra tax?

The only thing that makes sense to me is the Nats planning to bring in more money.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I'm pretty sure that was why they did it that way.  If they continue to be as aggressive in the future as they were this year, they'll be at the luxury taxthreshold soon. 

They upped the payroll 5% over last year.

66 to 69.

If they continue on that trend...

2012: 69,000,000 to 72,450,000
2013: 72,450,000 to 76,000,000
2014: 76,000,000 to 79,800,000
2015: 79,800,000 to 83,790,000

The Nats would have to increase their spending a lot to ever reach the luxury tax. If they continue on the 5% rate, they'll always be comfortably fielding a roster on the bottom half of the MLB pay scale.

Offline DPMOmaha

If they're as aggressive in the future as they were this off season, the payroll will go up by more than 5% a year over the next couple of years.

Offline Coladar

If they're as aggressive in the future as they were this off season, the payroll will go up by more than 5% a year over the next couple of years.

Yeah. Consider re-signing Zimmerman. Signing Strasburg. Signing Harper (Though unlikely IMO, as he's going to the Yankees.) Signing a legit SP this offseason, maybe Sabathia? And if Pujols goes FA, which I think is more likely now than ever due to the Wainwright catastrophe, I feel the Nats *have* to make him an offer that has a strong probability of getting him. But I still don't think we will be at risk of paying the luxury tax for a very, very, very, very long time, if ever in our lifetimes or so long as the Lerner family owns the team (Ted, and then Mark whenever Ted passes away.)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
They upped the payroll 5% over last year.

66 to 69.

If they continue on that trend...

2012: 69,000,000 to 72,450,000
2013: 72,450,000 to 76,000,000
2014: 76,000,000 to 79,800,000
2015: 79,800,000 to 83,790,000

The Nats would have to increase their spending a lot to ever reach the luxury tax. If they continue on the 5% rate, they'll always be comfortably fielding a roster on the bottom half of the MLB pay scale.

Wait, hammonds said the other day it was lower :???: :hammer:

Offline blue911

I would look at how the IRS allows the Nationals to write off Werth's contract. It used to be teams could write off all contracts in the first 3 years (regardless of the length of contract) if that's the case then the Nats can write off the value of the contract while their income net is highest and the pay out is the least.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
To pay an extra tax?

The only thing that makes sense to me is the Nats planning to bring in more money.
luxury tax is based on AAV and not payroll.  Backloading takes the AAV hit now, when we are nowhere near the threshold, and allows us to be aggressive in later years.

If you are tired of my typical example when it comes to salary management, don't read the spoiler The Red Sox are using this for Lester, Pedroia, and Youkilis.  Those contracts are backloaded too.  They are taking small luxury tax hits now, but the contracts begin to flip in their favor this next year, freeing up cap room for the first baseman.

Offline hammondsnats

Wait, hammonds said the other day it was lower :???: :hammer:

oh shut up.  i've seen reports online that it is lower.  and if true, wow a whole 5% ... lerners really sure can spend!!!

Offline PANatsFan

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/26/AR2011022603376.html

Read this article about Werth.

So many great things in that piece :clap: Rizzo and the Phillies, possibilities from Elvin Ramirez and Cole Kimball, Storen throwing 96, etc, etc, and Werth stepping up.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
Once Werth got back behind the cage, Rizzo said, "I hate the [expletive] Phillies." The GM then ran off a list of borderline dirty plays and purpose pitches in recent years by the Nats' nemesis. "I hate the Phillies, too," said Werth. Unspoken, but hanging in the air was a new idea for the Nats: So, let's play more like the Phillies: mean, grimy and a little nasty.
Win.

Offline xposbrad

I wonder how tolerant DC will be of Werth if he slips to say a .265/20/80 type player?

Think he'll get blasted in the press and booed on the field... or will he get by because the DC media doesn't seem to care about the Nats?

we'll just have to see what happens in the final 2-3 years of his contract when that actually happens..

Offline hammondsnats

oh so now PA agrees with boswell, i see 8)

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd love me some swagger on the Nats.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
I liked Zimm's "Let Werth pay for it" dig. Zimm could use some fire.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Jason Werth is a dreamboat

and a badass

Love it

Offline PANatsFan

Dude even if Ramirez can't hit the strike zone, bring him in before Clippard and he can strike them out on 3 changeups.

Offline natsfan4evr

Heat is nice to have, but location is far more important. Too much praise goes into flamethrowers. Major Leaguers can hit a 3 digit pitch if it is not located properly.

Offline hammondsnats

werth after today's win (per nationals.com)...

about playing his first game w/ nats:
"It felt like baseball," Werth said about playing in his first game of the spring. "The first game, I'm just trying to figure out what your feet are doing -- trying not to do anything too crazy. It was a good day. I'm proud to be part of the organization, put on a Nationals uniform, go out there and get things started. It was good way to kind of break the ice and get things going."

his place in the line-up:
"It's a good plan and things could change throughout the season. Nothing is set in stone," Werth said. "My OBP has been high. Hopefully I get on base and have Zimm knock me in. But realistically, it doesn't matter where I hit. I feel comfortable hitting one through nine."

:clap: :az:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
 I love him

Offline Sharp

Talking about his OBP in interviews?  Talking about how his position in the batting order doesn't matter?  Actually performing on the field?

...I think I'm in love.