2 (25%)
Hell No
0 (0%)
I like big sticks
0 (0%)
I like an athalete
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: The Cut List  (Read 2499 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: The Cut List
« Reply #25: May 07, 2009, 02:26:22 PM »
I think Dunn is a one sided player who cant do much else than hit bombs and K.

That and one of the better OBPs in baseball and some lineup protection for Zimm (if you believe in protection)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #26: May 07, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
then why did we get Dunn, I dont like him much, it would be great if NJ could stay healthy, but who knows with his record. I think Dunn is a one sided player who cant do much else than hit bombs and K. We are stuck with the decision so the decision is where to play Dunn if NJ stays? Dunn is a DH, not an OF, and at best a 1B. Aweful move by nats again, Dunns name excited everyone, but they were blind to see that he doesnt fit in the nats lineup
I don't have problem with getting Dunn at all, I really like him in the middle of the lineup, I do think there's a lot of value having him in that role.  I agree he's an DH.  But his play in LF is reliant on what he does alone.  He doesn't have to rely or help anyone else out.  That's not the case at 1B.  He has to help out all the rest of the infielders, saving errors and runs, I don't think he can do that very well, not to mention his generic fielding shortcomings.  IF he's going to be in the field, it needs to be in the OF.  What I've seen of him at 1B scares more than what I've seen from him in the OF.  I definately think there's room on this team for both of them.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #27: May 07, 2009, 02:34:07 PM »
then why did we get Dunn, I dont like him much, it would be great if NJ could stay healthy, but who knows with his record. I think Dunn is a one sided player who cant do much else than hit bombs and K. We are stuck with the decision so the decision is where to play Dunn if NJ stays? Dunn is a DH, not an OF, and at best a 1B. Aweful move by nats again, Dunns name excited everyone, but they were blind to see that he doesnt fit in the nats lineup

What??!!

1. Zimmerman gets more pitches to hit because Dunn is in the lineup.
2. Other guys are getting more RBI opportunities because Dunn gets on base so often.
3. We needed a power hitting THREAT in the lineup and that's exactly what we got in Dunn.
4. Dunn's currently hitting .284/.447/.557 with 7 HR and 20 RBI.
5. He's more valuable to us as a left fielder, NOT as first baseman.
6. Dukes and Flores strike out just as much as Dunn.
7. It was in no way an "awful move" getting him.

That's all. :D

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #28: May 07, 2009, 02:36:05 PM »
What??!!

1. Zimmerman gets more pitches to hit because Dunn is in the lineup.
2. Other guys are getting more RBI opportunities because Dunn gets on base so often.
3. We needed a power hitting THREAT in the lineup and that's exactly what we got in Dunn.
4. Dunn's currently hitting .284/.447/.557 with 7 HR and 20 RBI.
5. He's more valuable to us as a left fielder, NOT as first baseman.
6. Dukes and Flores strike out just as much as Dunn.
7. It was in no way an "awful move" getting him.

That's all. :D

+1/this

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #29: May 07, 2009, 02:36:27 PM »
Dunn hasn't been bad but it was kind of pointless signing him if we knew our relief pitching was going to be this terrible.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #30: May 07, 2009, 02:44:35 PM »
Dunn hasn't been bad but it was kind of pointless signing him if we knew our relief pitching was going to be this terrible.

haha no it's not.  i know what you're saying, but he was brought into bolster our offense, which he did.  it's out of his control that our 'pen sucks.  now we need to improve that area of concern.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #31: May 07, 2009, 03:40:51 PM »
That and one of the better OBPs in baseball and some lineup protection for Zimm (if you believe in protection)

If you don't believe in protection, watch what happens to the Dodgers lineup once Ramirez is taken out.  Hell, look at the Cardinals lineup when Pujols isn't there.  Spots in the lineup are not independent of each other.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #32: May 07, 2009, 04:12:06 PM »
Who do you like, who needs to go?

7.Cabrera(trade)

The take on Cabrera from rotowire. Is there any doubt that every GM in baseball knows this also? Most are probably laughing their arses off that we not only signed him to a lot of money but are stubbornly keeping him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=rotowire-anielabrerahakyomman&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy

Daniel Cabrera: Shaky Command Wednesday
RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Update: Cabrera was awful Wednesday, allowing five runs (four earned) on six hits and five walks over 5.1 innings while striking out only one.

Recommendation: His ERA is still a superficially bearable 4.85 thanks to eight unearned runs on his ledger in six starts, but he has yet to win a game with the Nationals and now has an atrocious 10:22 K:BB (yes, you read that correctly) ratio on the season. Keep him far, far away from your active roster.  :rofl:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: May 07, 2009, 05:07:34 PM »

so you should never sign anyone unless you'll have no holes on your team?

Offline fistfullwales

« Reply #34: May 07, 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
I am just saying, I think we could have done better than Dunn. Perhaps a more versatile player/pitcher(s)? I dont know, thats just my opinion. I am more for an all-around player, Im not a fan of guys who can just mash and suck at everything else. Maybe he should take up slow pitch softball.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #35: May 07, 2009, 08:14:22 PM »
I am just saying, I think we could have done better than Dunn. Perhaps a more versatile player/pitcher(s)? I dont know, thats just my opinion. I am more for an all-around player, Im not a fan of guys who can just mash and suck at everything else. Maybe he should take up slow pitch softball.

Why was available that you would've taken over Dunn?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #36: May 07, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »
We tried, he's wearing pinstripes right now.  If you'll recall, we had the highest bid on the table.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #37: May 07, 2009, 08:45:49 PM »
I think some of the FO people thought he'd be playing more 1B.  They forgot how well Nick the Stick hit when he was healthy. Given that scenario, he was a pretty good pickup.

But I understand your point: with all the defensive mishaps so far this year, I really want improvement.

Offline fistfullwales

« Reply #38: May 07, 2009, 08:48:05 PM »
i guess I am out numbered here, but I stand by my opinion, we will see how it all unfolds I guess. Maybe Im wrong.

To name a few, Dunn at 10mil a year

Felipe Lopez 3.5 mil a year
Rooco Baldeli 500k a year
Mark Hendrickson 1.5 mil a year
Orlando Hudson(?) 3.6 mil a year
Jamey Wright ~1 mil a year

No, we gotta spend 10 mil for a bat
when we coulda gotten pitching/utility/speed for less

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #39: May 07, 2009, 08:53:46 PM »
Definitely don't bring up Felipe Lopez. Been there. Been done by that.
i guess I am out numbered here, but I stand by my opinion, we will see how it all unfolds I guess. Maybe Im wrong.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #40: May 07, 2009, 08:55:05 PM »

Felipe was here, been there done that. Sure if you want him here we could add Felipe to the number of heads we want.

Baldelli isnt quite a power hitter that Dunn is, and we needed a lefty power bat, so says Manny. I think Dunn was perfect.

Hudson is a dumb thing we didn't do this offseason, I still think we should've gotten him.

Anyway, spending money is something this organization rarely does, Im glad we got Dunn out of it.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #41: May 07, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »
LLOLOOLOLOLLOLOL mark hendrickson LOLOLOLL

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #42: May 07, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »
We tried, he's wearing pinstripes right now.

and batting like .180

only person on that list worth talking to is Hudson, and he turned down the contract we offered him.

Lopez... :rofl: I suppose you weren't here last season when he sulked his way through the season with us and played like crap.

Baldelli can't really play full time.

Hendrickson sucks. 'nuff said. He's a *little* bit better than Cabrera, but that's not saying much.

Wright, I dunno.

Offline fistfullwales

« Reply #43: May 07, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
Do you see what hes doing in AZ? hes the best hitter on the team.

I guess Hendrickson is better considering the Os took him over Cabrera. And I do believe the Os are run just abit better than the Natinals.
I would have to go with the Os approach over ours at this point.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #44: May 07, 2009, 08:58:13 PM »
that's a terrible ass team and he'll fall back down to earth soon enough.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #45: May 07, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »

I guess Hendrickson is better considering the Os took him over Cabrera. And I do believe the Os are run just abit better than the Natinals.

Dude, its Arizona, not DC.

If he was here, do you REALLY think he'd play his ass off, not to mention stay on this hot streak?

He did not give a freak here.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #46: May 07, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »
fistfullwales:

yeah, and he'd be playing like crap if he were still here, because he hated it here.

he half-assed it through a season and  a half in DC and didn't ever give a full effort here.

is that what you want?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #47: May 07, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »

good luck with that.

lemme know how that turns out.

Offline fistfullwales

« Reply #48: May 07, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »
Maybe he just thought the GM was a joke and wanted to win. I know its not a good attitude, but it might have been diferent this time around. You are probably right, maybe he just didnt like the city itself.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #49: May 07, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
The O's are in much worse shape than the Nats. They will never finish above 4th-5th place in the AL East.