Author Topic: P-NATS Matinee Wednesday afternoon 8/9/06  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
P-NATS Matinee Wednesday afternoon 8/9/06
« Topic Start: August 09, 2006, 05:59:48 PM »
Went to the Potomac Nationals day game today and really had a blast.  I only live about a mile and a half from the stadium so it's no big deal to make the trip.  Even though we lost...there was a really good show of pitching between the two starters this afternoon.

Pitching for the P-Nats was Jon Felfodi and he held the Frederick Keys close all the way into the 6th inning before giving up two more and leaving the game.  Unfortunately the P-Nats were just not able to generate any hitting off the left hander David Haehnel.  They only managed 3 hits against him.

If you guys ever have the itching for some up-close baseball I reccommend the Potomac Nationals.  They are right off the Prince William Parkway in Woodbridge, VA.  

Tip: Just make sure you get a box or field box seat.  Keeps you away from all the kiddies.  It's only like an extra $3 or something.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #1: August 11, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »
Cool.. Where do you live?  I live off of Davis Ford Rd. about 10 minutes from Pfitzner Stadium.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #2: August 11, 2006, 10:27:37 PM »
Quote from: "sportsfan882"
Cool.. Where do you live?  I live off of Davis Ford Rd. about 10 minutes from Pfitzner Stadium.
Not far from you off of Smoketown.

Natsfan44

« Reply #3: August 12, 2006, 04:49:47 PM »
What did you think of Felfoldi?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #4: August 12, 2006, 05:04:00 PM »
Quote from: "Natsfan44"
What did you think of Felfoldi?
He held his own against the Keys very well...like I said, he kept them down to 2 runs and didn't get pulled until the 6th.  Usually these Carolina League games are large scoring affairs, but more so because of bad fielding than anything else.  
That particular game I attended was a low scoring pitcher's duel so I would say both pitchers played very well.  This was quite an accomplishment for Keys pitcher David Haehnel because he had been struggling terribly with a really high ERA.  

The best pitcher I've seen on the P-Nats as far as potential is the one you cited in your post - Collin Balester.

CHIP72

« Reply #5: August 13, 2006, 12:08:40 AM »
My impression from seeing minor league games at different levels is something like this:

Triple A - not much lower in quality than the majors, big difference is batters are more likely to be fooled by good but not great stuff (seen 6 games)

Double A - very similar to Triple A but players aren't quite as polished (very slightly worse pitching/hitting/fielding), pitchers and hitters at "same level", relative to high Single A pitchers have improved command (seen 132 games)

Single A (high) - relative to low Single A, hitters have developed more than the pitchers and have learned to be selective and work counts (seen 14 games)

Single A (low) - relative to short season Single A, fielding is noticeably smoother (though still at a distinctly lower level than Triple A, Double A, and even high Single A) and pitchers and hitters are somewhat better (seen 9 games)

Single A (short season) - can be hit or miss (figuratively and at times literally) with quality of pitchers, hitters, and fielders from game to game, moreso than higher levels (seen 10 games)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #6: August 13, 2006, 12:31:39 AM »
Quote from: "CHIP72"
My impression from seeing minor league games at different levels is something like this:

Triple A - not much lower in quality than the majors, big difference is batters are more likely to be fooled by good but not great stuff (seen 6 games)

Double A - very similar to Triple A but players aren't quite as polished (very slightly worse pitching/hitting/fielding), pitchers and hitters at "same level", relative to high Single A pitchers have improved command (seen 132 games)

Single A (high) - relative to low Single A, hitters have developed more than the pitchers and have learned to be selective and work counts (seen 14 games)

Single A (low) - relative to short season Single A, fielding is noticeably smoother (though still at a distinctly lower level than Triple A, Double A, and even high Single A) and pitchers and hitters are somewhat better (seen 9 games)

Single A (short season) - can be hit or miss (figuratively and at times literally) with quality of pitchers, hitters, and fielders from game to game, moreso than higher levels (seen 10 games)

Good post.

The Vermont Lake Monsters are my home team (short season A ball) and the description is right on par.  Justin Maxwell is a big star and always turns in a great performance, however.

CHIP72

« Reply #7: August 13, 2006, 11:59:59 AM »
Yeah, I'm fortunate where I live that there are many teams at many different classifications/levels that are within about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours of Harrisburg that one can go see for a day trip without too much inconvenience:

AAA (1) - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
AA (6) - Harrisburg, Reading, Bowie, Trenton, Altoona, Binghamton
high A (3) - Frederick, Wilmington, Potomac
low A (2) - Hagerstown, Lakewood
short season A (3) - Aberdeen, State College, Williamsport (both Staten Island and Brooklyn are just beyond that threshold)

Heck, even a number of independent minor league teams, most notably Lancaster, fit into that criteria as well.

Of course, in the majors the Orioles, Phillies, and Nationals are within 2 hours, the Yankees and Mets are within 3 hours, and the Pirates are just over 3 hours away too.

(P.S. I've seen each of the aforementioned teams, excluding Staten Island and Brooklyn, at least once in their home ballparks.)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #8: August 13, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
Quote from: "CHIP72"
Yeah, I'm fortunate where I live that there are many teams at many different classifications/levels that are within about 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 hours of Harrisburg that one can go see for a day trip without too much inconvenience:

AAA (1) - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre
AA (6) - Harrisburg, Reading, Bowie, Trenton, Altoona, Binghamton
high A (3) - Frederick, Wilmington, Potomac
low A (2) - Hagerstown, Lakewood
short season A (3) - Aberdeen, State College, Williamsport (both Staten Island and Brooklyn are just beyond that threshold)

Heck, even a number of independent minor league teams, most notably Lancaster, fit into that criteria as well.

Of course, in the majors the Orioles, Phillies, and Nationals are within 2 hours, the Yankees and Mets are within 3 hours, and the Pirates are just over 3 hours away too.

(P.S. I've seen each of the aforementioned teams, excluding Staten Island and Brooklyn, at least once in their home ballparks.)
Really appreciate your reports about Harrisburg Chip.  Wish we had somebody in New Orleans that could report about the Zephyrs like you do about the Senators.