Author Topic: Thinking about getting a new dog  (Read 11884 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Thinking about getting a new dog
« Reply #50: July 06, 2011, 06:28:35 PM »
I still want this:

(Image removed from quote.)

Good call, although sometimes I want to give mine away when she drives me crazy :lol:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #51: July 06, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Good call, although sometimes I want to give mine away when she drives me crazy :lol:

Huskies do much better when their pack leader is an true alpha male instead of a nancy-boy.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #52: July 06, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
Have considered adopting a greyhound? They are great pets.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #53: July 06, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »
Don't you need a big yard for a greyhound?

When we lived in Connecticut our neighbor had a greyhound and a whippet. We lived in condos, but with little traffic. He would let them off the leash for a run every so often, but would have to take them to the park to let them really get their exercise.  Sweet dogs.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #54: July 06, 2011, 07:27:36 PM »
I used to walk a Great Dane when I volunteered for the SPCA.  Sweetest dog I've ever met.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #55: July 06, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
I used to walk a Great Dane when I volunteered for the SPCA.  Sweetest dog I've ever met.
Great Danes are awesome and dont even need a lot of space - but they only live around 8 years and tend towards health problems.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #56: July 06, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
I used to walk a Great Dane when I volunteered for the SPCA.  Sweetest dog I've ever met.

They tend to be that way. Have two Great Danes in my block. Unlike those awful Huskies.   ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #57: July 06, 2011, 09:27:15 PM »

When we lived in Connecticut our neighbor had a greyhound and a whippet. We lived in condos, but with little traffic. He would let them off the leash for a run every so often, but would have to take them to the park to let them really get their exercise.  Sweet dogs.

No, we've had a whippet for years, mostly in apartments. With whippets and greyhounds, they need walks and a chance to run (dog parks are great), but they run out of gas pretty fast and are great apartment dogs

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #58: July 06, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
No, we've had a whippet for years, mostly in apartments. With whippets and greyhounds, they need walks and a chance to run (dog parks are great), but they run out of gas pretty fast and are great apartment dogs

Whippets are really fricking cute.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #59: July 06, 2011, 09:32:33 PM »
As a kid I had a fantastic Jack Russell Terrier named Spot until the Chemlawn killed him.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #60: July 06, 2011, 09:34:13 PM »
As a kid I had a fantastic Jack Russell Terrier named Spot until the Chemlawn killed him.

I heard you can get extract of marigolds to kill bugs. We need SOMETHING, but right now with the dog and the baby I just get bit to hell.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #61: July 06, 2011, 10:03:54 PM »
Whippets are also hell on rats.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #62: July 06, 2011, 10:31:08 PM »
I heard you can get extract of marigolds to kill bugs.

Sadly the neighbors were getting their lawn sprayed, the guy got sick of my dog barking, and sprayed him in the face. Nothing my parents could have done to prevent it. Needless to say, I'll never use Chemlawn.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #63: July 06, 2011, 10:55:43 PM »

When we lived in Connecticut our neighbor had a greyhound and a whippet. We lived in condos, but with little traffic. He would let them off the leash for a run every so often, but would have to take them to the park to let them really get their exercise.  Sweet dogs.

Big yard? No, we're on about a 1/4 acre, she did fine. Take a greyhound on a 15 minute walk before work and a greyhound will sleep all day.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #64: July 06, 2011, 11:02:29 PM »
Big yard? No, we're on about a 1/4 acre, she did fine. Take a greyhound on a 15 minute walk before work and a greyhound will sleep all day.

This.

They are dogs that don't have a lot of pent up energy, give them a good walk a couple times a day and the rest of the time they are couch potatos. And very affectionate. A co-worker recently lost her's and was devastated.

• babble on
« Reply #65: July 06, 2011, 11:06:18 PM »
That chemlawn crap just pisses me off.  I wonder how far up the food chain the damage goes...the contaminated bugs and grass seed must be just great for the birds.
And as for the guy who sprayed your dog in the face, nothing short of jumper cables to the balls and kneecapping would do.

Sadly the neighbors were getting their lawn sprayed, the guy got sick of my dog barking, and sprayed him in the face. Nothing my parents could have done to prevent it. Needless to say, I'll never use Chemlawn.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #66: July 07, 2011, 03:47:37 AM »
The Chemlawn person should have been arrested

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #67: July 07, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
Hopefully, we'll be getting one of these in the Spring.

One of my co-workers is breeding them. They have a small business going and I've seen a number of their pups. Really nice dogs.

K9 uses these:

Belgian Malinois

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #68: July 07, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
Hopefully, we'll be getting one of these in the Spring.

One of my co-workers is breeding them. They have a small business going and I've seen a number of their pups. Really nice dogs.

K9 uses these:

Belgian Malinois

There's nothing better than a well-trained German shepard, and nothing worse than an untrained one.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #69: July 07, 2011, 09:12:51 AM »
There's nothing better than a well-trained German shepard, and nothing worse than an untrained one.

Amen to that. German Shepherds need work or tasks so-to-speak. I also plan to crate train which I did with my previous Shepherd.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #70: July 07, 2011, 10:30:47 AM »

how did you retaliate?

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #71: July 07, 2011, 10:45:15 AM »
how did you retaliate?

I would have put a cap in someone's ass.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #72: July 07, 2011, 10:53:49 AM »
I've never been a dog lover, but on our just-concluded vacation we stayed with some friends who had really nice little dogs. Almost makes me want to reconsider—almost. I'm not sure our house is good for a dog with all the electronics and wires we have all over the place, and I'm not sure I have the patience nor the financial resources to take proper care of one, so I wonder if we'd be doing a disservice to any dog if we got one. (Plus my brother and father have severe allergies and couldn't visit.)

But we both really loved our friend's Pomeranian in Venice, Florida. She was probably the friendliest little dog I've ever met:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #73: July 07, 2011, 11:07:29 AM »
Standard Schnauzer is the only way to go.   

• babble on
« Reply #74: July 07, 2011, 11:15:44 AM »
I like brown dogs, the more breeds the better  :D