Author Topic: Non-Nats Trade watch  (Read 12038 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Non-Nats Trade watch
« Reply #125: July 24, 2012, 11:23:28 PM »
Ryan Roberts officially traded to the Rays for INF Tyler Bortnick.

Offline PC

« Reply #126: July 25, 2012, 12:14:33 AM »
According to Baseball Tonight, USA Today is reporting that Marlins executives are saying that Hanley Ramirez must go.  A's are in hot pursuit.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #127: July 25, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »
That would be fantastic for the Nats short and long term.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #128: July 25, 2012, 12:25:23 AM »
Without knowing the return for Ramirez... you can't make a statement like that with any sort of accuracy.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #129: July 25, 2012, 12:31:19 AM »
Which is the story of the year, IMO, in baseball.  Would love to see the Pirates in the post season.

Same. I really like this trade for them.

And hot damn at the A's. Pretty awesome that they've been coming back.

I'd like the O's to get one of the AL Wild Cards... just because I don't want to see any of the other AL East teams/

Offline Hogie

« Reply #130: July 25, 2012, 02:41:37 AM »
Hanley to the Dodgers

Offline PC

« Reply #131: July 25, 2012, 02:50:29 AM »
Hanley to the Dodgers

Dodgers Acquire Hanley Ramirez & Randy Choate

By Mike Axisa [July 25, 2012 at 1:37am CST]

The Dodgers have acquired Hanley Ramirez and Randy Choate from the Marlins for Nathan Eovaldi and a minor leaguer, reports Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports (on Twitter).

#Marlins unloaded more than $31.5 million by reported trade of @HanleyRamirez to #Dodgers. LA Times says, Dodgers paying full salary.

I wonder what this does to Dempster.  Choate is a reliever and Eovaldi has been starting for them so they are down one starter.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #132: July 25, 2012, 06:10:29 AM »
:lmao: The Marlins gave Hanley away.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #133: July 25, 2012, 06:51:52 AM »
Wow. What a disaster.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #134: July 25, 2012, 07:20:20 AM »
lol they didn't even get anything worthwhile in return except money for a guy that plays a premium position and was one of the best players in the league as of a few years ago.

Where are the "Marlins are Cheap" people? This team is going to be bad for years

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #135: July 25, 2012, 07:28:19 AM »
RT @ScottMCBS: The #Marlins swung for the fences and missed. And now baseball's most embarrassing franchise has another black eye http://t.co/7ecAM0sv

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #136: July 25, 2012, 07:30:13 AM »
Loria never tried to hide his cheapness and doesn't have any cheerleaders or defenders when it comes to being cheap. Besides, HanRam, while an insane, insane, insane talent, might be one of the most despicable human beings alive. Guy is a selfish prick with a personality that makes me look agreeable.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #137: July 25, 2012, 07:32:08 AM »
RT @Buster_ESPN: The Cole Hamels agreement with the Phillies is for a little more than $140 million, over six years, pending a physical.

Damn

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #138: July 25, 2012, 07:33:20 AM »
RT @Buster_ESPN: That is -- about $95 million committed to four players for 2013 -- Hamels, Howard, Lee, Halladay.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #139: July 25, 2012, 07:33:47 AM »
Another $20m+/year disaster for those clowns.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #140: July 25, 2012, 07:34:52 AM »
:lmao: The Marlins gave Hanley away.

JUST GET HIM OUT OF THE NATIONAL LEAGUE!

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #141: July 25, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »
Lots of action in the NL East.

I'm glad the Braves didn't get Dempster.  It seems every year, they trade a guy who is supposed to be some great prospect for an established player and the prospect they trade turns out to be a bust.  The downside is that they may get Greinke now. 

Too bad about Hamels staying in Philly.  But Lee and Halladay appear to be struggling and that may have a lot to do with both beginning to show their age.  How will they field a full roster if they're paying so much money to just a handful of guys?  They may have to trade both Pence and Victorino.  The Pappelbon signing was terrible.

I don't even know what to say about the Marlins.  If they go on an extended losing streak, we may see some real fireworks out of Guillen.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #142: July 25, 2012, 08:39:12 AM »
i'm guessing the new Marlins park is going to look like the old Marlins park pretty soon.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #143: July 25, 2012, 08:39:14 AM »
That is -- about $95 million committed to four players for 2013 -- Hamels, Howard, Lee, Halladay.
Time to sing, "one of these things, is not like the other, can you say which one" is the complete waste of money?

those contracts should be a lesson to the Nats.  You have to sign pitchers early - like Gio and not like you've done with JZ - because a staff of aces is darn expensive and you will end up paying for decline years. 

Online blue911

« Reply #144: July 25, 2012, 08:42:32 AM »
Time to sing, "one of these things, is not like the other, can you say which one" is the complete waste of money?

those contracts should be a lesson to the Nats.  You have to sign pitchers early - like Gio and not like you've done with JZ - because a staff of aces is darn expensive and you will end up paying for decline years. 

Then isn't it also a lesson for pitchers to wait and not sign early?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #145: July 25, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
JCA - tell me if you agree with this - the Phillies messed up by waiting to extend their core talent and then grossly overpaid for a guy that would be in decline in the AL (Mo Vaughn Howard) and extended one guy (Halladay) and signed another one (Lee) that were both on the wrong side of 30 in a win now attempt. If their window has closed (which, lets be honest, it has) why would they sign Hamels to an extension when that team is going to be the AARP bunch starting in 2014 or even 2013?  Are they doing this to placate fans/keep a decent team together or is this just being dumb?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #146: July 25, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
Then isn't it also a lesson for pitchers to wait and not sign early?

As long as you hedge that you aren't going to get injured by buying insurance against it (if you can), sure.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #147: July 25, 2012, 09:00:39 AM »
A team can hedge more easily than a player.  Teams can sign multiple pitchers cheap to hedge in case some don't work out.  Essentially, that is what Oakland and Tampa have done.  Oakland signs Trevor Cahill and Brett Anderson cheaply.  Cahill is not great, but on a good enough contract that he is then swapped for Parker.  Tampa turns out to have probably made a mistake in signing Wade Davis early, but the Shields signing worked out really well for them.  Davis did not stop them from signing Moore dirt cheap.   

A player has different incentives.  I don't think insurance on a pitching arm is all that easy to get anymore.  Most arms have some damage, and certainly you don't want to be turned down by an underwriter and raise a red flag.  Beside the injury factor, there is the possibility of not hitting expectations.  Call it the Wade Davis / Trevor Cahill factor (or Clay Buchholz / Jon Lester factor).  It is pretty tough to turn down millions early unless you have an enormous [sense of confidence].  Getting several million guaranteed early, maybe even before you hit arb, and giving up a year or two of FA for $12 MM per in options is a lot to pay for the possibility of making $18 - 22 MM if you turn into Cole Hamels.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #148: July 25, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
As long as you hedge that you aren't going to get injured by buying insurance against it (if you can), sure.

I read a while ago that contracts for pitchers we're becoming virtually uninsurable, so I'm not sure that an option

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #149: July 25, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
I'll bet A-Roid's broken hand has caused a mini crisis at Lloyd's of London
I read a while ago that contracts for pitchers we're becoming virtually uninsurable, so I'm not sure that an option