Author Topic: MY NOVEMBER ACQUIRED TOYOTA COROLLA  (Read 618 times)

nospinzone1

MY NOVEMBER ACQUIRED TOYOTA COROLLA
« Topic Start: July 12, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
HAS BEEN STEADILY LOSING MPG. I ASKED THE SERVICE DEPT. AND THEY TOLD ME THERE IS NOTHING TO CHECK ON THEIR END. THAT IT MAY BE THE SUMMER, THE HEAT, THE CITY DRIVING, ETC. THE EPA ON THE STICKER SAYS 28 CITY AND I AM DOWN TO 18 - 19. ANYBODY GETS THAT KIND OF LOW MILEAGE ON COROLLAS?

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Re: MY NOVEMBER ACQUIRED TOYOTA COROLLA
« Reply #1: July 12, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
Gasoline (or any liquid) doesn't need to be exposed to direct sunlight to evaporate. The best way to cut down of lost gas to the heat, is to always park in the shade. If for example you park on a hot street (try walking barefoot on hot pavement) the rising heat can effect your gas levels, since the gas tank is only a few inches from the hot asphalt.

Then again, maybe one of your neighbors sneaks over every night and siphons gas from your tank...

nospinzone1

« Reply #2: July 12, 2007, 09:14:17 PM »
Gasoline (or any liquid) doesn't need to be exposed to direct sunlight to evaporate. The best way to cut down of lost gas to the heat, is to always park in the shade. If for example you park on a hot street (try walking barefoot on hot pavement) the rising heat can effect your gas levels, since the gas tank is only a few inches from the hot asphalt.

Then again, maybe one of your neighbors sneaks over every night and siphons gas from your tank...

yeah, Ken , I remember in the gas shortages of the 70s I bought a gas cap with a lock just in case. Maybe you are on to something. Maybe I should buy another now.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: July 12, 2007, 11:46:40 PM »
That seems really low for a Corolla.  How old is it?  My 10 year old Toyota Rav4 averages 22 (mostly city)...just as advertised back in 1997, and perfectly reasonable for a geriatric AWD vehicle.  Is yours a 4 cylinder or a V6?

HAS BEEN STEADILY LOSING MPG. I ASKED THE SERVICE DEPT. AND THEY TOLD ME THERE IS NOTHING TO CHECK ON THEIR END. THAT IT MAY BE THE SUMMER, THE HEAT, THE CITY DRIVING, ETC. THE EPA ON THE STICKER SAYS 28 CITY AND I AM DOWN TO 18 - 19. ANYBODY GETS THAT KIND OF LOW MILEAGE ON COROLLAS?

nospinzone1

« Reply #4: July 13, 2007, 12:30:15 AM »
That seems really low for a Corolla.  How old is it?  My 10 year old Toyota Rav4 averages 22 (mostly city)...just as advertised back in 1997, and perfectly reasonable for a geriatric AWD vehicle.  Is yours a 4 cylinder or a V6?

IT IS A 2007 ; GOT IT IN nOV. ABOUT 3500 MILES ONLY. MAYBE THE ODOMETER IS WRONG.