Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40142 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #100: February 10, 2010, 10:15:46 PM »
we'll have to agree to disagree about the severity of this "privacy issue".  the article that was linked here was sensationalist "all fear google" stuff.

all I know is this: when I finally got Buzz, and I turned it on, My email contacts WERE NOT automatically added to my Followers list, like that article says.

I was given a list of "Recommendations" based on my contacts. I was given the option to follow these people, or not. I chose not to.

and that was that.

this article is making it seem as if Buzz automatically reveals your entire Contact list and everyone you've ever emailed to the world whether you want it to or not.

and it does no such thing, from my experience.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #101: February 10, 2010, 10:17:17 PM »
JMad, this is like if Facebook one day decided to add a "feature" that showed all your friends who you've been messaging the most, enabled it by default, and basically didn't warn you at all.  You really can't see the problem with that?

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #102: February 10, 2010, 10:22:03 PM »
A list of MOST OFTEN CONTACTED PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY GOOGLE

did not show up on my profile in any way, shape, or form.

A list of MOST OFTEN CONTACTED PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY GOOGLE

did not show up on my profile in any way, shape, or form.

It's QUITE different.  Damn man, take off the blinders.

I'll do that. then maybe I'll see the LIST OF MY MOST CONTACTED PEOPLE AUTOMATICALLY GENERATED BY GOOGLE.

right now, I don't see it. I'm sorry if I seem a little unsympathetic to everyone else's privacy issues here, but I'm just not experiencing it.

maybe I should make a new Google account just so i can reproduce this privacy issue so i can see it for myself.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #103: February 10, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
we'll have to agree to disagree about the severity of this "privacy issue".  the article that was linked here was sensationalist "all fear google" stuff.

Actually it was quite a reasonable and explanatory article.  If you'd take off your Google goggles for 5 seconds the problem with what they did should be quite obvious.

all I know is this: when I finally got Buzz, and I turned it on, My email contacts WERE NOT automatically added to my Followers list, like that article says.

I was given a list of "Recommendations" based on my contacts. I was given the option to follow these people, or not. I chose not to.

and that was that.

this article is making it seem as if Buzz automatically reveals your entire Contact list and everyone you've ever emailed to the world whether you want it to or not.

and it does no such thing, from my experience.

Your experience doesn't speak for everyone, and whether you like it or not, whether you understand it or not, this was a "slippery slope" breach of trust on Google's part.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #104: February 10, 2010, 10:24:38 PM »
WHEN ARE THE WIZARDS GOING TO GUARANTEE A GUN-FREE ARENA!?!?!

Sorry, had to take advantage of all the crazy caps to mock myself.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #105: February 10, 2010, 10:25:16 PM »
maybe I should make a new Google account just so i can reproduce this privacy issue so i can see it for myself.

That wouldn't work and I'm betting you know it.  The roll-out of buzz generated these lists from the email habits of existing gmail users.  It's not as simple as creating a new account.

But whatever, we're all just paranoid lunatics.  Please forgive the interruption and feel free to continue waving the Google poms.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #106: February 10, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
So after some more reading, I seemed to have found a middle ground between my "there's nothing wrong" and Chief's "WOE IS US" standpoint.

it seems that this world-shaking privacy problem is only happening to people who do not already have Google Profiles when they activate Buzz.  Buzz has them create a Google Profile, and then does the AUTOMATED LIST OF EVERYONE YOU'VE EVER TALKED TO thingy. have to then go to their profiles and disable the option and/or stop following the people they don't want broadcast.

people who already had google profiles (like me), don't seem to be affected by this. why? I don't know.

but the chatter indicates this to be the case.

that's reasonable to me. I'm going to delete my Google Profile and then start Buzz fresh. we'll see if I have the same horrifying privacy issue that everyone else in the world has. If so, then fine, you're right, Google is a horrible intrusive evil company. and stuff.

that would mean that you aren't crazy and paranoid like I say, and I'm not just ignoring crap because its Google like you say.

and speaking from my experience with a produce = shaking pom poms?

I suppose if you said "all laptops don't work" and I said "mine does", then I'd be "shaking the Laptop Pom-Poms"?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #107: February 10, 2010, 10:42:50 PM »
Actually that proves me right more than you.  People who didn't already have Google profiles either didn't know they could do so, or didn't want one.  In either case something they don't understand/want is being created without their knowledge, and possibly revealing information that they might not want revealed.

Why they didn't do this for people who already had profiles and would logically be more inclined to share such info, I don't know.  It isn't really relevant to my point, honestly.

And come now, are we really going to pretend that you aren't a Google fanboy?  Really?  That's what I meant by "poms."  You were sticking up for Google without even fully understanding the situation.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #108: February 10, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
Actually that proves me right more than you.  People who didn't already have Google profiles either didn't know they could do so, or didn't want one.  In either case something they don't understand/want is being created without their knowledge, and possibly revealing information that they might not want revealed.

Why they didn't do this for people who already had profiles and would logically be more inclined to share such info, I don't know.  It isn't really relevant to my point, honestly.

And come now, are we really going to pretend that you aren't a Google fanboy?  Really?  That's what I meant by "poms."  You were sticking up for Google without even fully understanding the situation.

so you are basically saying that the only reason I don't see this for the horrible catastrophe that everyone else seems to, is because it is Google?  and not because i don't see what everyone is fussing about?

you think I'd just go along with it if it were anyone else?

yeah I'm a Google Fanboy, but when have you known me to blindly back something 100% for no reason other than a Brand Name?

but whatever. just turn the damn thing off already since it's such a horrible breach of privacy.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #109: February 10, 2010, 11:07:16 PM »
I shouldn't have to turn something off that I didn't want in the first place and wasn't notified that it was being turned on.  That is the biggest issue here from what I understand.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #110: February 10, 2010, 11:08:22 PM »
now if you want to talk about a REAL, actually-as-bad-as-it-sounds Privacy issue with Buzz, then you might want to talk about how the Mobile Buzz client broadcasts your exact address based on your Cell Phone's GPS when you post to it.

now THAT is an issue.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #111: February 10, 2010, 11:11:48 PM »
now if you want to talk about a REAL, actually-as-bad-as-it-sounds Privacy issue with Buzz, then you might want to talk about how the Mobile Buzz client broadcasts your exact address based on your Cell Phone's GPS when you post to it.

now THAT is an issue.

Involuntary foursquare. Lovely.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #112: February 10, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
I shouldn't have to turn something off that I didn't want in the first place and wasn't notified that it was being turned on.  That is the biggest issue here from what I understand.

as far as I can tell you have to opt-in to Buzz in the first place.

when mine was activated, I got a splash screen asking me if I wanted to join, or if I wanted to just go to my email.

but then again, I'm probably the only one who got that choice. everyone else was forced at gunpoint by Teh Evil Google.

but beyond that I understand what you are saying.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #113: February 10, 2010, 11:16:28 PM »
Involuntary foursquare. Lovely.

which is why I'll never use Buzz from a cell phone. I don't want people knowing exactly where I am.

but i won't be one of those people who use it constantly and then whines that Google is "invading my privacy" by broadcasting my location.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #114: February 10, 2010, 11:19:58 PM »
i find it funny that people are raising such a gigantic fuss about this autofollow thingy, but nobody seems to give a crap about the service broadcasting your exact location every time you post from your cell phone.

"yeah it's cool if you stalkers know exactly where I am at all times. but hell no you can't know that such-and-such is in my contact list"

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #115: February 10, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »

when mine was activated, I got a splash screen asking me if I wanted to join, or if I wanted to just go to my email.

but then again, I'm probably the only one who got that choice. everyone else was forced at gunpoint by Teh Evil Google.

but beyond that I understand what you are saying.

Nope it appeared in my GMail, even though I clicked "No thanks"

Thus the whole fuss.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #116: February 10, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »
Nope it appeared in my GMail, even though I clicked "No thanks"

naturally.

so I'm just a crazy delusional google fanboy.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #117: February 10, 2010, 11:54:41 PM »
You must be.  I just googled something on my phone and noticed a little red blue yellow and green speech balloon.  Sure enough, I have buzz and I never asked for it.

On the plus side, when I clicked it, my iPhone did ask me if I wanted to allow it to use my current location :?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #118: February 10, 2010, 11:56:54 PM »
Not only that, but I'm apparently already following someone!!! :lmao:

I'm automatically following JMad :rofl:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #119: February 11, 2010, 12:10:16 AM »
naturally.

so I'm just a crazy delusional google fanboy.

No, you just are ill-informed about this issue.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #120: February 11, 2010, 12:11:52 AM »
Not only that, but I'm apparently already following someone!!! :lmao:

I'm automatically following JMad :rofl:

that's because you are following me on Google Reader. or something i shared on google reader.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #121: February 11, 2010, 12:12:53 AM »
No, you just are ill-informed about this issue.

right and when I see something happen in my google account, it only happens for me, it never happens for anyone else. everyone else always has something different.  :bang:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #122: February 11, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »

That's the problem. If you click no, you still join. It's bullcrap.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #123: February 11, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
Nathan, I've only got 4 people in my followers list. I don't see "Nathan" anything in it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #124: February 11, 2010, 12:30:10 AM »
Apparently Jason Puffenbarger walked through this blizzard to go to Olde Towne Tavern in Frederick.  Don't know who that is, but he is nearby so his buzzes show up ;)