Author Topic: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2  (Read 19343 times)

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
Re: Nationals @ Braves, Game 2
« Reply #25: June 29, 2010, 04:40:51 PM »
Derek Lowe is going to pitch like a winner tonight. He will give up runs to get outs and keep the Braves in the game. Although Stammen will probably give up five or six runs so it really doesn't matter what happens.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #26: June 29, 2010, 04:44:30 PM »
I genuinely believe Stammen will pitch a gem, be taken out in the 7th. No run support, bullpen blows it.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: June 29, 2010, 04:47:40 PM »
Craig "Hot Guy" Stammen is going to pwn.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #28: June 29, 2010, 04:52:33 PM »
I guess we just have different opinions on what constitutes a slump.  Desmond has been underperforming Cristian Guzman by about 30 points in both average and OBP all season, and people around here absolutely CRUCIFY Guzman for his batting.  Toss in the 40 error pace and I can't see how playing him up here so he can "learn" is doing anything but conceding the season to "let the kids play."

Agian this might be a totally different sport but look at what happened to Peyton Manning. He was a highly promsing rookie and he threw 28 INT his rookie year. Im not saying some day Desmond might turn out to be the MVP of NL but hes just a rookie. I firmly believe that putting him through the fire will either bring out the best of him OR he will fade away to become a journeyman. As for Guzman he can hit, I never crucified him for anything but he lacks range and is at the last round of his career. We need to see what we got with Desmond instead of sending him down to AAA. If he doesnt work out swallow your mistake and move on to the other youngster Espinosa.

Heyward is injured (that's why he went on the DL) and has been since his slump. He was leading the league in OPS before the injury. Not to say Desmond isn't a promising prospect or doesn't have injury, or other problems of his own, but Heyward was raking until the bone bruise on his thumb and opted to play through it unsuccessfully, which dropped 50 points on his average (.301 to .251 in a month)

I did not know that Heyward was playing through the pain but still look at his numbers before that. Towards the end of April the kid was in a slump and ended up batting .240 after a hot start. Then May he went back on fire batting .337 and then from June 1 to the 7th he dropped his batting average by about 20 points before suffereing the injury and going down another 20 points. So all I am saying is lets take a wait and see approach with Desmond. He can only get better from here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #29: June 29, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
Agian this might be a totally different sport but look at what happened to Peyton Manning. He was a highly promsing rookie and he threw 28 INT his rookie year. Im not saying some day Desmond might turn out to be the MVP of NL but hes just a rookie. I firmly believe that putting him through the fire will either bring out the best of him OR he will fade away to become a journeyman. As for Guzman he can hit, I never crucified him for anything but he lacks range and is at the last round of his career. We need to see what we got with Desmond instead of sending him down to AAA. If he doesnt work out swallow your mistake and move on to the other youngster Espinosa.

I agree, play him. Guzman isn't part of the future, so there is no reason to sacrifice Desmond for Guzman. Maybe Desmond could benefit from hitting 7th, hell Ivan Rodriguez hasn't hit for diddley in two months, move him into the 8th spot.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #30: June 29, 2010, 05:07:53 PM »
I asked Ben that very question over on MASN, and he said he believes the team won't sit Morgan because they're worried that they might lose him mentally if he gets benched.

What! I don't even know what to say about that. I hate this freaking crap.

"let the kids play."

One of hammonds' favorite phrases.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #31: June 29, 2010, 05:50:52 PM »
Just seein' Morgan in the leadoff makes me wanna pass on this game.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #32: June 29, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
As for Guzman he can hit, I never crucified him for anything but he lacks range and is at the last round of his career. We need to see what we got with Desmond instead of sending him down to AAA. If he doesnt work out swallow your mistake and move on to the other youngster Espinosa.

I didn't mean to single you out, I was just referring to a common example of a whipping boy 'round these parts.

I agree, play him. Guzman isn't part of the future, so there is no reason to sacrifice Desmond for Guzman. Maybe Desmond could benefit from hitting 7th, hell Ivan Rodriguez hasn't hit for diddley in two months, move him into the 8th spot.

Nobody is suggesting "sacrificing" Desmond, let alone replacing him with Guzman.  But I don't believe you can just keep sending him out night after night.  That sends the message that it's okay for him to keep screwing up.  There has to be a balance somewhere between that and "let him play through it, he'll learn."

He's benched tonight anyway, so at least we know somebody in the FO cares.  I guess that's enough for me.

Offline blue911

« Reply #33: June 29, 2010, 06:18:38 PM »
Nobody is suggesting "sacrificing" Desmond, let alone replacing him with Guzman.  But I don't believe you can just keep sending him out night after night.  That sends the message that it's okay for him to keep screwing up.  There has to be a balance somewhere between that and "let him play through it, he'll learn."

He's benched tonight anyway, so at least we know somebody in the FO cares.  I guess that's enough for me.

What we don't know is what Desmond is doing before the game. Everything points to him busting his ass but just not being able to translate that to the game.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #34: June 29, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »

What we don't know is what Desmond is doing before the game. Everything points to him busting his ass but just not being able to translate that to the game.

I'm not doubting that.

Offline blue911

« Reply #35: June 29, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
I'm not doubting that.

I'm just sick and tired of watching guys that have no future with the Nats taking playing time away from guys who the jury is still out on.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #36: June 29, 2010, 06:42:18 PM »
I'm just sick and tired of watching guys that have no future with the Nats taking playing time away from guys who the jury is still out on.

They are running the clock out with Guzie. Even Kennedy has an option for '11.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #37: June 29, 2010, 07:04:09 PM »
About 7 minutes till game time... go Nats!

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #38: June 29, 2010, 07:08:05 PM »
win, you freaks

Offline PC

« Reply #39: June 29, 2010, 07:11:21 PM »
Was that an error?   :|

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #40: June 29, 2010, 07:11:42 PM »
apparently morgan has good splits against lowe... i can see the logic in starting him then.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #41: June 29, 2010, 07:15:21 PM »
I love our coaching staff...

"We don't know why he's getting picked off..."

Yet you still let him run at will.

:roll:

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #42: June 29, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
nyjer saved ryan from another DP

Offline PC

« Reply #43: June 29, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »
This is a helluva crowd for a first place team.  :roll:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: June 29, 2010, 07:17:41 PM »
Damn, thought that was getting through.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #45: June 29, 2010, 07:18:25 PM »
Damn, thought that was getting through.

love the sig quote

Offline PC

« Reply #46: June 29, 2010, 07:19:43 PM »
Don't give up four runs in the first, Craig!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #47: June 29, 2010, 07:21:58 PM »
that cutter/slider Craig is throwing looks good

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #48: June 29, 2010, 07:22:08 PM »
Ha. Even Bob and Rob are so much calmer when Strasburg isn't pitching.

Offline PC

« Reply #49: June 29, 2010, 07:22:20 PM »
99% of the time, that should be called a strike.