Author Topic: Setting up the rotation  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Ray D

Setting up the rotation
« Topic Start: March 29, 2016, 01:05:43 PM »
I'm sure Dusty is trying to get the rotation set for the beginning of the season. I'm sure the rainouts haven't helped. 

Here is who pitched recent games since 3/21
Mon 3/21 gio
Tues 3/22 off
Wed 3/23 strasburg
Thurs 3/24 scherzer
Fri 3/25   rain
Sat 3/26 Roarke
Sun 3/27 Gio
Mon 3/28   rain
Tues 3/29  Strasburg   

Projected for remainder of ST:
Wed 3/30 scherzer
Thurs 3/31 Roarke
Friday 4/1  Gio
4/2 Saturday  Strasburg
4/3 Sunday Day off

Projected,  beginning of season:
4/4 Monday Scherzer
4/5 Tuesday    Day off
4/6 Wednesday  Gio
4/7 Thursday  Strasburg
4/8 Friday    Day off
4/9 Saturday    Roarke??   Scherzer??

Works well for Scherzer, he'll get the opener on a five-day cycle.
Same for Gio, game 2.
Strasburg, home opener,gets an extra day rest.  Can't hurt, I suppose.

Who pitches Saturday 4/9? Much too much rest for Roarke.  Scherzer would be right on schedule.   Would they go with a three-man rotation for the first four games?

Anyway, I'm thrilled that Strasburg  is pitching the home opener.  Would be an added treat if Scherzer goes Saturday as I have tickets for that one too.

Offline Natsinpwc

Re: Setting up the rotation
« Reply #1: March 29, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
I'm sure Dusty is trying to get the rotation set for the beginning of the season. I'm sure the rainouts haven't helped. 

Here is who pitched recent games since 3/21
Mon 3/21 gio
Tues 3/22 off
Wed 3/23 strasburg
Thurs 3/24 scherzer
Fri 3/25   rain
Sat 3/26 Roarke
Sun 3/27 Gio
Mon 3/28   rain
Tues 3/29  Strasburg   

Projected for remainder of ST:
Wed 3/30 scherzer
Thurs 3/31 Roarke
Friday 4/1  Gio
4/2 Saturday  Strasburg
4/3 Sunday Day off

Projected,  beginning of season:
4/4 Monday Scherzer
4/5 Tuesday    Day off
4/6 Wednesday  Gio
4/7 Thursday  Strasburg
4/8 Friday    Day off
4/9 Saturday    Roarke??   Scherzer??

Works well for Scherzer, he'll get the opener on a five-day cycle.
Same for Gio, game 2.
Strasburg, home opener,gets an extra day rest.  Can't hurt, I suppose.

Who pitches Saturday 4/9? Much too much rest for Roarke.  Scherzer would be right on schedule.   Would they go with a three-man rotation for the first four games?

Anyway, I'm thrilled that Strasburg  is pitching the home opener.  Would be an added treat if Scherzer goes Saturday as I have tickets for that one too.
I would assume Roarke on April 9 and Scherzer on April 10.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #2: March 29, 2016, 01:15:30 PM »
I would assume Roarke on April 9 and Scherzer on April 10.

Yes that's possible, and perhaps most likely, but I was thinking that they might send Roarke down to get one tuneup start before starting a real game, so that he doesn't have to pitch on 9 days rest. And it would also keep Scherzer on a five day cycle.

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #3: March 29, 2016, 01:19:48 PM »
Yes that's possible, and perhaps most likely, but I was thinking that they might send Roarke down to get one tuneup start before starting a real game, so that he doesn't have to pitch on 9 days rest. And it would also keep Scherzer on a five day cycle.
Could be but don't think any of the minor league teams start their schedule until a few days later?  Could always keep him Florida and do a minor league camp game on say April 3. I would think they would want him with the team just in case something happens. Like Stephen gets a hang nail.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #4: March 29, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
I'd assume it's Roark, but they may even go Max again there on normal rest and let Roark start in the pen till 4/12, and call up Ross on 4/13? Doubt it, but I still think Roark ends up in the pen by the time Giolito is ready, so it might make sense to have him start in the pen. Probably not though

Offline Monarch

« Reply #5: March 29, 2016, 03:09:09 PM »
what is the most realistic time frame for Giolito to come up? sometime in June, or are they just gonna let him pitch in the minors til Sept providing everyone stays healthy?

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #6: March 29, 2016, 03:16:40 PM »
We haven't heard yet. Him being assigned to minor league camp, rather than AA/AAA may mean they are keeping his IP down. If they don't care about shutting him down towards the end of the season, then he could be up right after the Super 2 cutoff date.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #7: March 29, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »
what is the most realistic time frame for Giolito to come up? sometime in June, or are they just gonna let him pitch in the minors til Sept providing everyone stays healthy?
It's reasonable to predict that when he comes up he's going to have that "shiny new toy" period where he will be nearly untouchable until they have a book on him.  If we're running away with the division,  might be a good strategy to hold him out until late in the season to leverage that period during the playoffs.  If it's a tight division race, he'd need to come up sooner.  His innings limit will surely be a factor, which argues for later, but with injury to the staff I could see June.   Lots of variables.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #8: March 29, 2016, 03:19:18 PM »
If they don't care about shutting him down towards the end of the season,

They won't make that mistake again.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: March 29, 2016, 04:17:32 PM »

it probably depends on the record, if they suck, no way rizzo burns any service time. If they run away with the division, you can bring him up later if you want him in the bullpen for the playoffs if at all. If the division is close, I think you see him mid season assuming he's dominating in the minors

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #10: March 29, 2016, 05:37:39 PM »
based on past history, i'd bet he pitches 150 innings or so this year, with the plan to keep him at Syracuse unless someone falters or gets hurt.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #11: March 29, 2016, 05:46:41 PM »
It's reasonable to predict that when he comes up he's going to have that "shiny new toy" period where he will be nearly untouchable until they have a book on him.  If we're running away with the division,  might be a good strategy to hold him out until late in the season to leverage that period during the playoffs.  If it's a tight division race, he'd need to come up sooner.  His innings limit will surely be a factor, which argues for later, but with injury to the staff I could see June.   Lots of variables.

If we're running away with the division, there's no reason to call him up at all until September.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #12: March 29, 2016, 06:31:26 PM »
If we're running away with the division, there's no reason to call him up at all until September.

Do you think the Nats will run away with the division?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #13: March 29, 2016, 06:41:49 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Ray D

« Reply #14: March 29, 2016, 07:23:39 PM »
Yes, I'm on record as predicting that the Mets starting pitchers will all come down with leprosy and their arms will fall off.  With the Mets eliminated, 88 wins will run away with the division.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #15: March 29, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
I hope we see Giolito at some stage, but we are at a real crossroads with him and Turner. we just aren't sure what will happen

Offline Natsinpwc

« Reply #16: March 29, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
Yes, I'm on record as predicting that the Mets starting pitchers will all come down with leprosy and their arms will fall off.  With the Mets eliminated, 88 wins will run away with the division.
I second that. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #17: March 30, 2016, 12:50:01 AM »

When the bullpen implodes, only after July 1st.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #18: March 30, 2016, 09:33:37 AM »
I think we'll see Giolito in the majors by June 15.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #19: March 30, 2016, 12:55:06 PM »
It's unrealistic to expect a 5-man rotation to stay completely healthy over the course of a full season.  That's what made 2012 so amazing - not one Nats starter missed a single start due to injury that year (though of course there was the Strasburg shutdown).  So Giolito has a good chance to make an impact in DC this season assuming he continues kicking ass in the minors.

Offline mmzznnxx

• lol Nats
« Reply #20: March 30, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »
I trust the rotation to produce without Giolito more than I trust the lineup to produce with Espinosa and Co. being a part of the lineup, so I think Turner will come sooner.

But I don't trust all 5 guys to stay healthy (especially Strasburg) all season so Giolito will be up soon enough. Even if it's a Dan Haren "injury".

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #21: April 02, 2016, 10:47:48 AM »
Chelsea Janes ‏@chelsea_janes 35m35 minutes ago

So Dusty said Scherzer is starting the opener in Atlanta, Strasburg the second game in Atlanta. Gio, Ross will be in the bullpen there.

So...Roark starts the home opener? Not sure I'm thrilled about that....

Offline Ray D

« Reply #22: April 02, 2016, 10:55:40 AM »
This is ridiculous. It's stupid and insensitive. For the fans sake if nothing else, they should recognize that the home opener is important. No more important to win than any other game for purposes of the season record, but that misses the point.  It's of great importance to the fans and if there are only two reliable pitchers on the staff, one of them should start that game.

Offline madj55

« Reply #23: April 02, 2016, 11:19:25 AM »
Stupid and insensitive? C'mon.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #24: April 02, 2016, 11:57:11 AM »
I don't understand it. Splitting Max and Stras made sense. Was really looking forward to Stras dominating the Marlins on Thursday.