Author Topic: MLB.com Article on Bryce Harper  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: MLB.com Article on Bryce Harper
« Reply #25: March 27, 2010, 11:57:34 PM »
Who cares what Harper said in an interview when he was 16 or 17? He's a kid and he's going to say stupid things. He might want to play for the Yankees in ten years... or he might end up hating the east coast and want to go back west... or he might build personal relationships here that trump childhood dreams.

I don't see how the Nats could factor a ridiculous overplayed quote into their business decision when they are supposed to ignore position, age, everything else and just draft the best player on the board.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #26: March 28, 2010, 05:57:08 PM »
Who cares what Harper said in an interview when he was 16 or 17? He's a kid and he's going to say stupid things. He might want to play for the Yankees in ten years... or he might end up hating the east coast and want to go back west... or he might build personal relationships here that trump childhood dreams.
That's key.

Remember this: This town loves a winner.  They fell in love with the Redskins in the George Allen years, and they've fallen in love with the Caps recently.  You think there are kids in the Caps' system who used to really want to get the hell out and play for the Red Wings, Devils, Penguins, or one of the Canadian teams?  Damn skippy.  You think some of them have changed their mind since then and want to be a part of the Caps for a long time now?  I'd bet on that too.

The Nats are a team without glamor and tradition as of now.  If something gets started up here with Stras, Storen, Zimmerman(n), Harper, and Norris, you can bet that D.C. is going to have a lot more allure as a baseball destination.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #27: March 28, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »
Taillon might be the BPA, however.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #28: March 28, 2010, 06:01:28 PM »
You think there are kids in the Caps' system who used to really want to get the hell out and play for the Red Wings, Devils, Penguins, or one of the Canadian teams?  Damn skippy.  You think some of them have changed their mind since then and want to be a part of the Caps for a long time now?  I'd bet on that too.

The Nats are a team without glamor and tradition as of now.  If something gets started up here with Stras, Storen, Zimmerman(n), Harper, and Norris, you can bet that D.C. is going to have a lot more allure as a baseball destination.

:clap:

Make a winning tradition here and the desire to go elsewhere is eroded substantially.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #29: March 28, 2010, 06:02:01 PM »
Rizzo doesn't like high school arms.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #30: March 28, 2010, 06:05:14 PM »

I don't give a damn what he likes :lol:

Although Willems, Smoker, etc, etc, etc haven't shown jack.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #31: March 28, 2010, 06:11:53 PM »
Taillon might be the BPA, however.

No he won't unless Harper tears every muscle in his body. He's not that much better than recent HS arms like Turner or Matzek. And he's definitely not better than Porcello.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #32: March 28, 2010, 06:16:50 PM »
I don't give a damn what he likes :lol:
What's the point of prognosticating about Taillon if Rizzo is unlikely to draft him anyhow? :hurr:

Offline RL04

« Reply #33: March 30, 2010, 04:12:50 PM »
That's key.

Remember this: This town loves a winner. 

they've fallen in love with the Caps recently.  You think there are kids in the Caps' system who used to really want to get the hell out and play for the Red Wings, Devils, Penguins, or one of the Canadian teams?  Damn skippy.  You think some of them have changed their mind since then and want to be a part of the Caps for a long time now?  I'd bet on that too.

Agree.

See Brooks Laich quote in today's Post:

"I hate missing hockey games ... and I love to play for the Capitals."

I'm certain as a teenager Laich did not dream of playing for the Caps.

Winning changes everything.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #34: March 30, 2010, 05:17:22 PM »
so let's use the #1 pick in the draft to pick some 32nd round bum who says "my lifelong dream is to play for the Nationals" instead of drafting the best available player, just because the best available player said that someday he wants to play for the Yankees.

maybe all the other teams should pass on him too, just to accomodatebhis wishes and let the Yanks draft him.

:rofl:

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #35: March 30, 2010, 07:48:46 PM »

But Roy Clark does...

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #36: March 30, 2010, 08:22:33 PM »
Allan Simpson (former Baseball America founder and writer) had an article on Harper/Taillon today with some good tidbits (link for the full story with more good info at the bootom):

In the baseball draft’s 45-year history, the first pick overall has never been a high-school righthander or a junior-college player.

The player given the best chance of challenging Harper and Taillon for the No. 1 spot, and effectively preventing draft history from occurring, is Louisiana State righthander Anthony Ranaudo, who coincidentally represents the most popular demographic among previous No. 1 selections.

On 10 such occurrences—most recently as 2009, when the Washington Nationals had the first selection and took San Diego State’s Stephen Strasburg—the top pick has been a college righthander. A high-school shortstop and high-school outfielder have gone No. 1 on seven previous occasions, and even a prep catcher holds that distinction four times. But never a high-school righthander. Or a juco player.

Unlike a year ago, when Strasburg was a slam-dunk choice to go No. 1 for months leading up to the draft, the Nationals options are more varied this time, with as many as eight to 10 players still on their preferred list, most notably Harper and Taillon.

Industry sources confirmed that Washington has made the two players its priority, and will begin eliminating other candidates from its mix, beginning next week. Ranaudo remains somewhat of a wild card as he was clearly part of a Big Three at the start of the season, but has been shelved most of the season by elbow issues, throwing his draft status into question.

That trio [Harper, Ranaudo, Taillon] was ranked 1-2-3 in January, when PG Crosschecker unveiled a preliminary list of the top 500 prospects in this year’s draft, and they are still the top three as PG-X offers a revised version of its top 500. The only change is that Jameson has moved ahead of the injury-plagued Ranaudo. Harper stands firm at No. 1.  

http://canadianbaseballnetwork.com/node/12333