Author Topic: "Robert Fick Flies Out Softly"  (Read 3817 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
"Robert Fick Flies Out Softly"
« Topic Start: June 12, 2007, 09:16:09 PM »
Seriously, how many chances can we give this guy? He has to be over the injuries from last year. He's just a bum. Cut him from the team!

Online sportsfan882

Re: "Robert Fick Flies Out Softly"
« Reply #1: June 12, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
He sure plays good D at first.  If Langerhans/Logan can stay on the team just for defense, why can't Fick?  If it were up to me, none of the above would be on the team but we don't have a ton of options at the current point in time. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #2: June 12, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »
He pulled a Vidro in the top of the ninth (also known as a Baerga, or a Vinnie).

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #3: June 12, 2007, 09:48:11 PM »
He sure plays good D at first.  If Langerhans/Logan can stay on the team just for defense, why can't Fick?  If it were up to me, none of the above would be on the team but we don't have a ton of options at the current point in time. 

That pretty much sums it up. Fick is definitely worse offensively and I would be happy to dump him. But his ability to play catcher is still keeping him around because Flores is still so green and they need the insurance. But this seems to be mostly loyalty by Jimbo and ultimately it is up to him. It wouldn't be surprising if he is gone in the second half though.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #4: June 12, 2007, 09:53:58 PM »
That was originally the thinking, but Flores has been solid behind the plate.

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #5: June 12, 2007, 09:57:23 PM »
That was originally the thinking, but Flores has been solid behind the plate.

Yeah, but there is a lot of baseball to be played, Flores is very, very, inexperienced, and if Schneider got hurt for any reason, they would want the experience. I agree though, that it is probably not a big risk at this point, and it is not like Fick is the only option, but that could still be what they are thinking.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #6: June 12, 2007, 09:59:29 PM »
Harper offers the same insurance were Schneider to get hurt.

Just playing devil's advocate.

By the way, remember when Harris was learning to be emergency catcher and they rewarded him with a trade? It's weird the loyalty they have for some guys but not others.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: June 12, 2007, 10:25:04 PM »
Fick can play 1st, Catcher, and right field. He's good defensively but terrible offensively. I have no problem having him play 1B in interleague play and letting Young play DH. It works for me. His picks at first tonight saved at least a run.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #8: June 12, 2007, 10:27:54 PM »
Fick can play 1st, Catcher, and right field. He's good defensively but terrible offensively. I have no problem having him play 1B in interleague play and letting Young play DH. It works for me. His picks at first tonight saved at least a run.

That's the way I feel exactly ...

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #9: June 12, 2007, 10:32:55 PM »
Harper offers the same insurance were Schneider to get hurt.

Just playing devil's advocate.

By the way, remember when Harris was learning to be emergency catcher and they rewarded him with a trade? It's weird the loyalty they have for some guys but not others.

I'm certainly not a Fick apologist, and would certainly not shed any tears if he was replaced by a someone more productive.

I never really thought of the trade of Harris as disloyal, he was a piece of a trade that Cincy seemed to cast away. I always thought that Harris was a quality prospect who played really solid defense and never got a shot with us. I expected to be successful at the big league level, but I certainly wouldn't have predicted how well he was doing with TB. I had actually hoped he would have replaced Vidro at 2B but it wasn't meant to be.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #10: June 12, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »
I'm certainly not a Fick apologist, and would certainly not shed any tears if he was replaced by a someone more productive.

Didn't accuse you :)

As for the D-Rays, it seems that they have the same plan for their infielders as we had for pitching - throw a bunch of guys against the wall and see what sticks. Good for Carlos Pena and Harris!

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #11: June 12, 2007, 10:40:00 PM »
Didn't accuse you :)

As for the D-Rays, it seems that they have the same plan for their infielders as we had for pitching - throw a bunch of guys against the wall and see what sticks. Good for Carlos Pena and Harris!

Yeah, there is a lot of young talent in that D-Rays system, and I am hoping that Chuck LaMar helps us get our share of it.  :lol:

nospinzone1

« Reply #12: June 12, 2007, 10:48:27 PM »
Seriously, how many chances can we give this guy? He has to be over the injuries from last year. He's just a bum. Cut him from the team!

HE PLAYS A MEAN FIRST BASE.

nospinzone1

« Reply #13: June 12, 2007, 10:49:13 PM »

I THOROUGHLY CONCUR

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #14: June 12, 2007, 10:53:54 PM »
Ok, but cut him after interleague play then.

« Reply #15: June 12, 2007, 11:00:30 PM »
Personally, I like Fick.  He used to have quite a spark and from what I hear was an energetic and upbeat guy in the clubhouse.  For whatever the reasons be it his current family issues (I believe a family member is close to passing) or he just can't cut the mustard anymore, it is sad to see his abilities falter.  That is the game, I guess.  He still is effective at 1B and can play other positions which is really why we keep a Curly W on his head.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #16: June 12, 2007, 11:22:30 PM »
Fick was the Nats best player (hitter) in the clutch in '06.  What happened to that? 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #17: June 12, 2007, 11:24:18 PM »
Fick was the Nats best player (hitter) in the clutch in '06.  What happened to that? 
He was?   :o

« Reply #18: June 12, 2007, 11:29:22 PM »
He was?   :o

I don't know if he was the best but I certainly remember, especially later in the 06' season, he was money in clutch situations.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #19: June 12, 2007, 11:35:52 PM »
I don't know if he was the best but I certainly remember, especially later in the 06' season, he was money in clutch situations.

Fick was very effective coming off the bench in pinch hitting situations - as was all our pinch hitters - the best in majors as a group ...

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #20: June 12, 2007, 11:50:28 PM »
Rob is the only player on the team I DON'T LIKE. His bat is bad, his fielding is above average but it's still not enough to have him playing as much as he does. It's like Manny feels he's a little league coach and it's his obligation to get Rob in the field. I rather see Belly one of our best hitters and sure handed fielders get the nod at 1st over Rob during inter-league play.

Whatever, Belly better start on Friday!

Offline shoeshineboy

« Reply #21: June 13, 2007, 12:00:20 AM »
Rob is the only player on the team I DON'T LIKE. His bat is bad, his fielding is above average but it's still not enough to have him playing as much as he does. It's like Manny feels he's a little league coach and it's his obligation to get Rob in the field. I rather see Belly one of our best hitters and sure handed fielders get the nod at 1st over Rob during inter-league play.

Whatever, Belly better start on Friday!

I like Belliard alot, and would love to see him get more playing time. But I cringe with him at 1B. He's so short. It impacts his ability to stretch out and up. Zimmerman routinely throws balls to first that would be errors if 5'8" Belliard was there. Guzman has a tendency to do the same. It is just a margin of error that I would not like them to deal with. In these games, I think he should be playing alot more so that all the guys in the infield can get a rest or play DH. If that was at 1B occasionally, ok, but regularly, I just don't like it.

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #22: June 13, 2007, 12:15:06 AM »
NJ needs to come back!

Plain and simple.

then the fick problem will be solved!

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #23: June 13, 2007, 12:16:28 AM »
why dont we try this combo

move lopez to first, ronnie to second.

lol

« Reply #24: June 13, 2007, 12:25:04 AM »
  For whatever the reasons be it his current family issues (I believe a family member is close to passing)

I understand that his mother is dying of cancer.  This is bound to have an adverse effect on him.