Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B (and 2B, we hope)  (Read 84637 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: Follow the Prospects: Anthony Rendon, 3B
« Reply #25: June 07, 2011, 06:11:19 AM »
Is there a way to embed videos?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #26: June 07, 2011, 07:25:42 AM »
I agree with RD - at least in that Rendon definitely does not look like a middle infielder to me.  With 3B blocked, that pretty much leaves 1B and LF.

I'm worried about the shoulder - my guess now is that he has LaRoche-level problems and will need surgery there.

But the guy can definitely hit.  If he's a 300/400/500 type hitter, I'd have no problem with putting him in LF or at 1B.  You'd probably get great defense at 1B and maybe average-ish or a tick below defense at LF.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #27: June 07, 2011, 07:40:31 AM »
I still am amused at how many people still think Espinosa is all that, and Desmond is a POS.

Espinosa still has A LOT to prove. Hitting a few bombs doesn't change that.

Desmond still has things to prove as well, not saying he's proven himself. But both have a lot of work to do.

When people on this board develop a liking to a player, they will continue to push it no matter what. Espinosa's .220 average isn't proving anything(and I know Desmond is hitting essentially the same, without the pop but he's been ridiculous on the bases).

I think Rendon would make a sick second baseman offensively but I think he's headed to the outfield.

It's an easier transition to make, and will get him to the bigs quicker, ala Harper.

The best leadoff hitter in our entire organization is Lombardozzi. We're going to have to make room for him in the lineup. That could still mean a shift of Espinosa to short, it could mean keeping Desmond at short and trading Espinosa. It just opens up other options.

I dont want to make this about all that though, so on to Rendon.

We just made out like bandits. Rendon is a flat out stud. To be able to nab him at 6 is freaking amazing. He's a true middle of the order bat that will move quickly.

I liken him to Ryan Braun. While he is much more suited to play on the infield than Braun, I think his all arond bat is more than enough to be a star in the outfield. If he can make the move to 2b with that bat, we have the best 2b in the game. I don't care where he plays, his selection is arguably the best we could've hoped for, considering our offensive woes.

In 2013, we're going to have both Harper and Rendon in the lineup every day. With Werth and Zim, the offensive is going to be pretty damn good.

Just watching the two of them:  Espinosa looks far more comfortable and has all the instincts of a middle infielder.  Desmond does not. 

If we get the power in the lineup we think we're getting with Harper and now Rendon, Espinosa can 8th in the lineup and we don't really lose out.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #28: June 07, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
I was happy see we just picked Purke. 

I wanted to throw this out there before I forget about it - Rendon is not really 'beefy' in the sense of Werth or Ankiel or some of the other guys in outstanding shape that Rizzo brought in or seems to favor.  He's a bit pudgy around the midsection - not fat, but there may not even be a two-pack there.  Does picking him mean anything about Rizzo's 'better beef' philosophy?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #29: June 07, 2011, 01:20:04 PM »
Maybe he's finally learning.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: June 07, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »
Nice 1st post, Linty.

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #31: June 07, 2011, 07:45:04 PM »
I was happy see we just picked Purke. 

I wanted to throw this out there before I forget about it - Rendon is not really 'beefy' in the sense of Werth or Ankiel or some of the other guys in outstanding shape that Rizzo brought in or seems to favor.  He's a bit pudgy around the midsection - not fat, but there may not even be a two-pack there.  Does picking him mean anything about Rizzo's 'better beef' philosophy?

Lol, there is nothing pudgy about Rendon.  The guy is rock solid.

Offline NatsGM

« Reply #32: June 07, 2011, 09:01:48 PM »
Guys, it is not in my nature to be a glass half full type, but with Rendon we did not get just the best collegiate bat in this draft, but likely in the past three drafts.  This kid is an absolute beast and has suffered some this season from the strained shoulder but more from a lineup without many/any other threats (watch them play sometimes, it's the Jackson 5 and everyone else is Jermaine) so he has been consistently pitched around.  That plus his incredible batting eye has lead him to receive 80+ walks just this year. 

Rendon has the bat to play anywhere on the diamond, including 1B, and is athletic enough to play an outfield or infield corner.  Give him two months to recover while negotiating his contract and watch his bat move him to the big leagues by late 2012. This was a great pick.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: June 07, 2011, 09:27:09 PM »
Lol, there is nothing pudgy about Rendon.  The guy is rock solid.

Hello Ace, welcome to the WNFF. 

Feel free to offer any special insights you are willing to share regarding Anthony, who (we hope) is about to join a very elite group of young talent that we could be putting on the field within a couple of years. 

Offline RD

« Reply #34: June 07, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
There were people that said they would've taken Rendon ahead of Harper last year.

Tells you how good the kid is.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #35: June 07, 2011, 09:59:17 PM »
There were people that said they would've taken Rendon ahead of Harper last year.

Tells you how good the kid is.

It would seem his injuries have put a damper on the enthusiasm, however.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #36: June 07, 2011, 11:11:15 PM »
It seems like he can still hit, other than forcing a mover across the diamond, what are the injury concerns that scared off other teams?

Offline RD

« Reply #37: June 07, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »
It would seem his injuries have put a damper on the enthusiasm, however.

Yeah, but I think it's simply a combination of trying too hard to find a negative and teams wanting arms.

A shoulder injury for a position player is nothing. His bat can play anywhere. No matter what position he plays, he's a big time middle of the order bat.

We earned the #1 pick in the draft and the rights to Strasburg and Harper.

We got a bit of luck in Rendon falling and landing the best player(arguably) this time. Things are looking up!

Offline Ace_1106

« Reply #38: June 08, 2011, 12:12:58 AM »
Hello Ace, welcome to the WNFF. 

Feel free to offer any special insights you are willing to share regarding Anthony, who (we hope) is about to join a very elite group of young talent that we could be putting on the field within a couple of years. 

Thank you,  I am very excited about the potential of this team in the future!  And despite some of the reports saying he may not be able to play in the middle of the diamond, I would have to disagree.  One little tidbit left out is he he has played a few games at SS early in his college career, along with of course 1B and 2B this season.  He also played SS in high school and made some jaw-dropping plays.  It will be fun to see where he ends up though! 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #39: June 08, 2011, 12:32:47 AM »
Thank you,  I am very excited about the potential of this team in the future!  And despite some of the reports saying he may not be able to play in the middle of the diamond, I would have to disagree.  One little tidbit left out is he he has played a few games at SS early in his college career, along with of course 1B and 2B this season.  He also played SS in high school and made some jaw-dropping plays.  It will be fun to see where he ends up though! 

We can't wait to see him start playing in the organization!

Welcome to the board!

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #40: June 08, 2011, 07:40:03 AM »
Ha - Hi Ace - no offense meant by the 'pudgy' comment.  There is an opinion among some on this board that our GM only picks players based in large part on how they look in a uniform.  He made a comment once about having 'better beef' in the clubhouse now.  It's mostly a reference to valuing athletes over guys who produce, even if they don't look like athletes.  I don't buy into the idea that Rizzo, the GM, is like that, but some definitely do.

A lot of it goes back to Adam Dunn who signed a 4 yr deal this past offseason for something like $15 mil per.  He was a fan favorite here and people were upset to see him go.  Dunn has had a terrible season, but so has his replacement in DC - LaRoche.

Anyway, Rendon doesn't appear to be in the same mold of athlete first, baseball player second type that some believe Rizzo favors.  That's all I was saying.

And welcome to the board.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #41: June 08, 2011, 10:47:23 AM »
Ace - welcome!

All - If Rendon were to play the OF, would CF be a possibility? 

I'm guessing the infield and 2d is his eventual destination if he makes it here, with one of Espinosa or Desmond losing a starting spot and Lombardozzi in the lurch.  CF would be appealing to get 3 good bats in the OF and Lombardozzi / Espinosa along with RZ and Morse (or an upgrade) in the IF.  2013 is beginning to look like a high level offense.

Offline RD

« Reply #42: June 08, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »
He's not a CF candidate.

Offline GNatsNoMore

« Reply #43: June 08, 2011, 12:02:37 PM »
He's not a CF candidate.
He doesn't have the speed, for one thing.  But if Goodwin approaches his ceiling in CF, then the OF suddenly becomes crowded in 1-2 years with Werth, Harper and Goodwin.  It seems like Rendon would be a 2B or a 1B.  I'm warming up to the idea of Desmond being a super utility guy.  Morse seems to be doing better at 1B than OF, so let him/LaRoche stay at 1B until we find someone better.  Here's a wild idea: I wonder if they'd consider moving Zimmerman from 3B to SS, kind  of the reverse of what Cal Ripken did, if Zimm was OK with it, so Rendon could stay at 3rd?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #44: June 08, 2011, 12:34:29 PM »
[Comment From William]
Cole or Rendon? 

Wednesday June 8, 2011 12:33 William
12:33 Dave Cameron: Obviously, we don't know what kind of shape the shoulder is in, but even still, I think I'd take Rendon. 

Offline RD

« Reply #45: June 08, 2011, 02:24:52 PM »
If the OF's develop, then Werth could end up being moved to first as he continues to get older.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #46: June 08, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »
If the OF's develop, then Werth could end up being moved to first as he continues to get older.

he needs to hit for a lot more power to justify himself as a $20 million a year first baseman

Offline RD

« Reply #47: June 08, 2011, 09:45:20 PM »
He needs to hit a lot more to be a $20mill OF as well.

He's here. No sense in bringing up the contract. We need to play him where he best helps the team. If we have kids who can take over in the OF and we need help at 1st, it makes sense to move the 6'6 32 year old there imo.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #48: June 09, 2011, 12:25:08 AM »
It just hit me today that Jayson Werth will be making $20+ million at 39 years old.

Oh. My. God.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #49: June 09, 2011, 07:48:36 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/nationals/bryce-harper-gives-no-reason-to-worry-nationals-draft-pick-anthony-rendon-hopefully-doesnt-either/2011/06/08/AGJxHVMH_story.html

Here's Boz's take on Rendon.  He's worried about his injury history and being undersized.  But then he says college hitters are usually safe picks and that hitters tend to play.

I don't think he looks like a 2B to me.  At least from what I've seen, he doesn't have the quickness or athleticism to be a good defensive 2B.  Boz threw out a Youk comparison and maybe that's not bad for a 1B.  Could give us good-to-great defenders all the way across the infield, including catcher. 

He looks like he wouldn't be that great in LF, either, but that's not as much of an issue as what to do with Werth if Rendon does end up in LF.

If he hits well enough for 1B, then great.  If not, maybe let him stay at 3B and flip him for the best return possible.