Author Topic: International Signing period.  (Read 1893 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

International Signing period.
« Topic Start: July 02, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »
It starts today.

Offline blue911

Re: International Signing period.
« Reply #1: July 02, 2010, 12:09:27 PM »
Let's see if Johnny DiPuglia can earn his money.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #2: July 02, 2010, 12:09:38 PM »
I hear good things about some kid named Smiley.

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #3: July 02, 2010, 12:12:22 PM »
from what I can gather, I don't expect to hear the Nationals associated with any of the bigger names

Offline NFA Brian

• Nationals Farm Authority
« Reply #4: July 02, 2010, 12:43:45 PM »
possibly true

I have noticed that the team is not so quick to promote their international presence as they were when the current ownership took over.

There are inherent risks in throwing seven figures plus at many of these international free agents when the team can employ the quality from quantity approach

I'd rather they spend $3 million on 7 or 8 guys than all on 1 guy.

It's just frustrating that aside from maybe one press release each year, we hear next to nothing about what they are doing not just in Latin America but anywhere outside the US

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #5: July 02, 2010, 12:48:04 PM »

I have noticed that the team is not so quick to promote their international presence as they were when the current ownership took over.

Every story would begin with the bonus skimming scandal. Better to just lay low.

Offline blue911

« Reply #6: July 02, 2010, 12:52:46 PM »
Every story would begin with the bonus skimming scandal. Better to just lay low.

Then why hire DiPuglia? He is supposed to be the master of signing latino players.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #7: July 02, 2010, 12:54:00 PM »
Then why hire DiPuglia? He is supposed to be the master of signing latino players.

Make the signings but don't toot your own horn about it. The public opinion would come around with good signings.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: July 02, 2010, 12:54:53 PM »

You can sign players with out promoting your international presence.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: July 02, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
Make the signings but don't toot your own horn about it. The public opinion would come around with good signings.

I disagree. Fans want to know that the team is actively working at improving over and above their competition. The fans have run out of patience with the lack of visable improvement.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: July 02, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
Have to agree with Blue here. If the fans aren't hearing about it... then in most people's mind... it's not happening.

All they'd have to do is drop a press release saying we signed so and so... he'll be transfered here to start his career.

If they ran one of those with every signing, it'd let the public know they are working hard... and they wouldn't even have to get the figures on the contract out there.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #11: July 02, 2010, 01:01:28 PM »
The ordinary fan has no idea what the hell an international free agent is. They want wins on the field.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #12: July 02, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »

All they'd have to do is drop a press release saying we signed so and so... he'll be transfered here to start his career.

I guarantee they would do that. If you don't hear about the signings, then they didn't happen. But feature pieces on "look, here's a scout at a game on the beach in Curacao" will just bring back the ghost of Smiley.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #13: July 02, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
Have to agree with Blue here. If the fans aren't hearing about it... then in most people's mind... it's not happening.

If they ran one of those with every signing, it'd let the public know they are working hard... and they wouldn't even have to get the figures on the contract out there.

Unless they are going after the highest profile guys, fans don't really care. Putting out a press release saying you signed a 16 year old noone has never heard of does matter to most people.

Offline blue911

« Reply #14: July 02, 2010, 01:08:08 PM »
Unless they are going after the highest profile guys, fans don't really care. Putting out a press release saying you signed a 16 year old noone has never heard of does matter to most people.

I'm not saying they need to state who they are going after or even where. But it isn't asking a lot to mention that they are interested in "several players" and then do like Linty said, put out a little background on each of the players.

Offline blue911

« Reply #15: July 02, 2010, 01:09:02 PM »
The ordinary fan has no idea what the hell an international free agent is. They want wins on the field.

The Nats have killed all the ordinary fans, the only ones left are either die hard fans or too stupid to know the difference.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #16: July 02, 2010, 01:18:08 PM »
The Nats have killed all the ordinary fans, the only ones left are either die hard fans or too stupid to know the difference.

:lmao:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #17: July 02, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »

:lmao: 

Offline spidernat

« Reply #18: July 02, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »
from what I can gather, I don't expect to hear the Nationals associated with any of the bigger names

Shocking.   :?

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #19: July 02, 2010, 03:01:08 PM »
I'm kind of worried about Rizzo's philosophy on the draft/player development. He's too willing to acquire low upside guys because they have good "makeup" I don't see many young players on the team that have high ceilings that the team wasn't gifted into getting (Strasburg, Harper). I see a lot of college seniors and #4-5 starters. That's why A.J. Cole is so important to sign. The team needs high ceiling starters in the minors.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: July 02, 2010, 05:06:31 PM »
I'm kind of worried about Rizzo's philosophy on the draft/player development. He's too willing to acquire low upside guys because they have good "makeup"

Plus they're cheap.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #21: March 04, 2011, 12:05:44 PM »
Here is an interesting and thorough primer on the Taiwanese league for anyone interested:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/professional-baseball-in-taiwan/