Author Topic: the MLB Network thread.  (Read 45549 times)

MrMadison

MrMadison

Re: the MLB Network thread.
« Reply #51: December 12, 2008, 04:05:51 PM »
MLB Network introduces on-air lineup
Unveiling of studios part of channel's Winter Meetings exposition
By Barry M. Bloom / MLB.com

LAS VEGAS -- With the excitement of a first Spring Training game, the new MLB Network introduced part of its starting talent lineup on Monday at the Winter Meetings and showed off depictions of two state-of-the art studios that will be unveiled, beginning next week in tours of its Secaucus, N.J., location.
The Network is scheduled to launch on Jan. 1 to a potential audience of 50 million basic cable homes, the largest such launch by far in history.

It will offer live games, original programming, highlights, coverage of baseball events and classic games, beginning with a rare recording of Don Larsen's perfect game against the Dodgers in the 1956 World Series with Larsen and his Yankees catcher that day, Yogi Berra, both in studio to offer analysis.

"We're planning to do eight hours a day," said Matt Vasgersian, who signed on as a studio host after seven years of television play-by-play for the San Diego Padres to host "MLB Tonight," the Network's signature show. "That's a very aggressive, very ambitious thing that we're all really looking forward to taking a big bite out of."

Vasgersian is moving cross country from La Jolla to New Jersey to take his "Bruce Springsteen worship to a new level."

But he certainly isn't the only one. Trenni Kusnierek and Hazel Mae both left their comfort zones in Milwaukee and Boston, respectively, to join the Network as reporters.

Harold Reynolds, a familiar face around MLB.com, will take his rapid style and expertise as a former player from downtown Manhattan to just across the Hudson River.

Reynolds joins other former players Joe Magrane, Dan Plesac and Al Leiter as studio analysts in what is being called an "All-Star lineup." Magrane, Plesac and Leiter were not on hand on Monday.

"For me I'm just excited," Reynolds said. "I think for any baseball fan or anybody in the media, the first thing is that we're all fans of the game, even the players."

Tony Petitti, the MLB Network's president and chief executive, and formerly of CBS Sports, said the Network may hire more talent prior to the launch, which is now just 23 days away.

Petitti also said that there would be a symbiosis with its online partner, MLB.com, in areas of content, sales and merchandising.

"We're both 24/7 operations," Petitti said. "I really view them as complementary businesses, so I think working together should be easy. We can come together operationally, driving baseball fans back [and forth] to both places."

Studios 3 and 42 in Secaucus will be the literal home plates for in excess of 40 hours of creatively generated programming. The Babe Ruth studio, given the number worn by the "Sultan of Swat," will be equipped with a desk that rotates to offer a "new look" throughout the day of programming, Petitti said.

It will also feature six distinct broadcast areas, including a stat center and balcony interview area. The ceiling is ringed by the backlit logos of all 30 Major League teams and is equipped with lighting to mirror the feel of day or night.

Studio 42, which honors Jackie Robinson, is a replica of a ballfield, replete with a diamond, mound, padded wall and bleachers to seat a 175-person studio audience. The bases are 45 feet apart rather than the standard 90, and the mound is 30 feet from home plate rather than 60 feet, six inches. The mound is portable and can be moved further back for demonstrations.

There's also an out-of-town scoreboard modeled after the one on the right-field bleacher fence in Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park that will be updated in real time.

Don't be surprised after game coverage is complete to find Reynolds depicting the art of a key hit-and-run and bunt play, or Leiter, Magrane and Plesac doing what they all did best as players -- demonstrating the nuances of pitching off the studio mound.

"Studio 42 is really something and really special for the game," Petitti said. "It's almost 10,000 square feet. It will allow guys like Harold and Al and Joe and Dan to get out and move around and do demonstrations, but we can also tape shows there. The Yogi and Don Larsen interview will take place in Studio 42."

And so, let the real programming begin.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081208&content_id=3706838&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #52: December 23, 2008, 09:31:42 AM »
Does anyone know what channel this will air on DirecTV?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #53: December 23, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »

« Reply #54: December 24, 2008, 12:53:11 AM »
Get Paul Lo Duca on the stick!

MrMadison

« Reply #55: December 25, 2008, 11:08:46 PM »
so MLB Network has a introductory program followed by a highlight reel on repeat, until it launches it would seem.

pretty cool stuff, even if it is just a placeholder.

Comcast subscribers, it's on channel 280.

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
« Reply #56: December 25, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »
MLB Network is going to be highly enjoyable. 24:7 baseball. now i won't have to rely on baseball tonight, who often snubs the Nats.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #57: December 26, 2008, 08:48:18 AM »
It's so great.  It cuts down my viewership of ESPN by at least 60-70%.  Between this and the NFL network, I barely need to watch that atrocity.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #58: December 26, 2008, 09:35:57 AM »
It's so great.  It cuts down my viewership of ESPN by at least 60-70%.  Between this and the NFL network, I barely need to watch that atrocity.

I can get the best bits from Baseball Tonight from FireJoeMorgan.com

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #59: December 26, 2008, 09:36:37 AM »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo

FireJoeMorgan.com has ended - Thank God for the MLB network then :D

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #60: December 26, 2008, 10:54:41 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that the other day. :(

Between that and Capitol Punishment, two of my favorite baseball sites have gone by the wayside.

MrMadison

« Reply #61: December 26, 2008, 11:41:24 PM »
dig it! the official MLB Network site was updated.

http://mlb.mlb.com/network/

more MLB Network info, with 5 days to go!

if you don't know what channel MLB Network is on for you, go here:

http://mlbn.viewerlink.tv/Default.aspx?zip=

and put in your Zip Code.

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/network/schedule/

there's the TV Schedule.

MrMadison

« Reply #62: December 26, 2008, 11:48:39 PM »
http://mlb.mlb.com/network/personalities/

and there's the full list of talking heads.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #63: December 27, 2008, 10:49:46 PM »
They need HD. The only games I get in HD are Phillies games.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #64: January 01, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
Apparently, programming will not begin until 6 tonight.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #65: January 01, 2009, 01:54:58 PM »
Yep.  Today's the first day I'm even seeing the previews.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #66: January 01, 2009, 02:06:25 PM »
Yep.  Today's the first day I'm even seeing the previews.

Get with the HD program, geniuses. HD/digital channels take far less bandwidth - there's no excuse.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #67: January 01, 2009, 02:08:09 PM »
Nice it's showing up on DirecTV on Ch. 213. HD channel too.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #68: January 01, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
Get with the HD program, geniuses. HD/digital channels take far less bandwidth - there's no excuse.
Not all of us have a budget for HD. :?

Offline eckseid

« Reply #69: January 01, 2009, 03:10:39 PM »
Sigh, no HD channel on Fios lineup yet. :(

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #70: January 01, 2009, 03:20:26 PM »
There's hope that the HD may appear soon - the cable companies own part of the network, and its a cheap way to add an HD channel, which they need for advertisting purposes if nothing else.

MrMadison

« Reply #71: January 01, 2009, 05:18:14 PM »
Apparently, programming will not begin until 6 tonight.

yep. an hour of Hot Stove, and then Don Larsen's perfect game. that's how MLB Network is born.

MrMadison

« Reply #72: January 01, 2009, 06:14:17 PM »
the Hot Stove set looks really nice.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #73: January 01, 2009, 06:17:01 PM »
Yeah it does. Very cool. :clap:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: January 01, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
just turned it on, '56 WS, hopefully my wife won't hit me for watching this