Author Topic: Security Company Recommendations  (Read 2616 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Re: Security Company Recommendations
« Reply #50: December 13, 2011, 03:16:18 PM »
If you have kids, you might want to look into newfoundlands

instead of Shepards of Malinois, great with kids and they won't spike your home owners insurance. We had them growing up, huge bark, and in the dark a barking black 200 pound beast is just as scary as any doberman   

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #51: December 13, 2011, 03:19:16 PM »
We have a really sweet boxer/pit mix living in out basement, but she's territorial as all get out, I like having her down there. We get one of the many perks of having a dog without having to scoop the poop!

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #52: December 13, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »
If you have kids, you might want to look into newfoundlands

(Image removed from quote.)

instead of Shepards of Malinois, great with kids and they won't spike your home owners insurance. We had them growing up, huge bark, and in the dark a barking black 200 pound beast is just as scary as any doberman   

haha Newfies would only hurt a fly by accidentally stepping on it. Lovable dogs.

I actually really want a Great Dane and will work on convincing Mrs PA. The main problem is that they only live 8 years :(

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #53: December 13, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »

haha Newfies would only hurt a fly by accidentally stepping on it. Lovable dogs.

I actually really want a Great Dane and will work on convincing Mrs PA. The main problem is that they only live 8 years :(

I'm trying to get the wife to let me get a Deerhound- not going to happen.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #54: December 13, 2011, 06:17:23 PM »
where do you live? do you have grates on the doors/windows? if you have those and a security sign, you are probably ok. i feel much safer in my city house with the grates than in my parents' old suburban house with a security system and much safer than i would in their retirement mountain house with a security system.

i'm assuming your city dwelling is smaller than a suburban spot. you will probably hear somebody breaking in, giving you time to grab your to ruin their day, as opposed to letting them sneak through a basement door, up your carpeted stairs and into your room.  plus with with gates/grates, you present a clearly visible, not insurmountable but difficult hurdle. might as well move on to the not iron clad house if you have an option.  also it will give you more warning/time to grab your weapon.

dont have carpet either. nothing but hardwood in my house. you can't sneak around for crap.

plus i would assume that break-ins when people are home are very very rare. A) its more difficult, B) I believe it comes with greater penalties.  anybody who would do so is a bumbling crack head that could easily be dealt with

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #55: December 13, 2011, 06:19:33 PM »
Does DC still have that idiotic law against home self-defense?  This isn't snark, I'm actually serious.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #56: December 13, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

When a guy is not in his right head and breaking in, it's good to have an audible and monitored system.

Also, my 35lb husky, who actually can look scary, hid under the bed :( She was abused before we adopted her.

I had a husky several years ago. He was pretty fearsome looking, but he would run and hide if anyone ever tried to break into the house. Good dogs, just not good guard dogs.  :)

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #57: December 13, 2011, 06:44:41 PM »
Does DC still have that idiotic law against home self-defense?  This isn't snark, I'm actually serious.

What law was that? I know they were pretty restrictive on gun ownership, but I'm not familiar with any self-defense laws.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #58: December 13, 2011, 07:08:32 PM »
What law was that? I know they were pretty restrictive on gun ownership, but I'm not familiar with any self-defense laws.

some states have laws making you retreat rather than confront if possible (the opposite of castle laws in most states that allow you to protect your home from intruders) I know if someone breaks into your home in vermont, you can't use a firearm in self defense if you are able to exit

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #59: December 13, 2011, 07:19:12 PM »
some states have laws making you retreat rather than confront if possible (the opposite of castle laws in most states that allow you to protect your home from intruders) I know if someone breaks into your home in vermont, you can't use a firearm in self defense if you are able to exit

Gotcha! I am familiar with the Castle Doctrine, but I didn't know DC had a restrictive law on defending your own home. Do you have to retreat in DC?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: December 13, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
No idea

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #61: December 13, 2011, 07:30:36 PM »

UK has very restrictive laws that resulted in an epidemic of breakins since nobody had fear of being confronted.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #62: December 13, 2011, 07:36:18 PM »

That's it, thanks.  I just remember the MPD officer we talked to in Trinidad warning me about that horsesheet. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #63: December 13, 2011, 09:10:34 PM »
Anyone breaks in while I'm home I'm going to spear them with an icepick in the doorway and then drag them 10 feet inside.  MPD won't give a freak. 

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #64: December 13, 2011, 09:20:11 PM »
Anyone breaks in while I'm home I'm going to spear them with an icepick in the doorway and then drag them 10 feet inside.  MPD won't give a freak. 

I've got a Glock 23 in my nightstand. If someone gets past my dog, which I highly doubt that they will, I'll be waiting with the Glock. Spearing them with an icepick is pretty medieval though. I like it!

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #65: December 13, 2011, 09:28:48 PM »
That's it, thanks.  I just remember the MPD officer we talked to in Trinidad warning me about that horsesheet. 

I thought you were referring to Trinidad and Tobago for some reason :lmao: Now the deaf roommate makes more sense.

dave, our break in was when we were home. It does happen.

Heavy grates seem like a fire hazard more than anything. Obviously a gun is not an option in DC and with small children, by the time you open the gun safe and load it, hopefully the cops have arrived.  I can discuss neigborhood by PM but it's recently gentrified.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #66: December 13, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »
If you live in a house with bars on the doors and windows you've got a mortgage on a prison cell.  I wouldn't bet on the cops getting there before you can get the gun unlocked.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #67: December 13, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
If you live in a house with bars on the doors and windows you've got a mortgage on a prison cell.  I wouldn't bet on the cops getting there before you can get the gun unlocked.

My baseball bat and the alarm system will be enough for me.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #68: December 13, 2011, 09:46:13 PM »
My baseball bat and the alarm system will be enough for me.

Call me after you get out of the coma and your brain stops swelling.  Interweb tough guys get their azzes kicked in real life.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #69: December 13, 2011, 09:50:25 PM »
Sweet, didn't know you were a cover model!

Offline Dave B

« Reply #70: December 13, 2011, 09:57:33 PM »
a kid can't lift the two handed great sword

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #71: December 13, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
a kid can't lift the two handed great sword

Maybe it's the handful of shrooms I took at work, but this comment made me laugh hardcore.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #72: December 13, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
Maybe it's the handful of shrooms I took at work, but this comment made me laugh hardcore.

You are cranky as freak lately, honkus maximus

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #73: December 13, 2011, 10:13:52 PM »
You are cranky as freak lately, honkus maximus

Poking fun of the ridiculousness of life makes me happy. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #74: December 13, 2011, 10:14:48 PM »
One may escape multiple episodes where death presents itself.  Like that time we were drinking jack green on the Liberty lifts, then stopped by the Ott House for $0.40 drafts, then came down 15 towards Frederick, and Cameron took a breather from making out with that chick he'd picked up to see Scott driving down the wrong side of 15 and he told Scott he was on the wrong side of the road and Scott said "I know I'm on the wrong side of the road, I can see I'm on the wrong side of the road, don't you tell me how to drive" and then there was a car coming headon and at the last moment he jerked the wheel and the Pinto began to careen back and forth on various wheels between 1 and 4 and finally left the road and skidded down the embankment and came to a stop 12" from the telephone pole.

Somehow, we escaped it that time.   :shrug:

Damn tourists acting like crazies up in my hood :devil: