Author Topic: Nationals vs Marlins, Game 1  (Read 11484 times)

Offline ZIM4MVP

yeah, this first month is important, we play alot of NL East teams, nothing is better than holding your own destiny

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Oy.  Well, on a positive note, baseball's back.  No one can complain about that.

Offline NatsAddict

Can someone give me the 411 on Logan and Guzman?
Per Marlins Announcers:

Logan - X-rays negative
Guzman - pulled hammy

Offline nats2playoffs

Our best hope is that the White Sox and Dodgers continue to be crushed today, since that will spark "What's Wrong With..." talk.  Everyone expects us to stink, so no one will pay much attention to today.  Willis won 20+ a few years ago too.  To think... I  put him on the trading block...

I don't think we have an ace.  Hill doesn't strike many out, but he could be our best pitcher.

TELL ME that we did NOT lose TWO starters after the first game!

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Our best hope is that the White Sox and Dodgers continue to be crushed today, since that will spark "What's Wrong With..." talk.  Everyone expects us to stink, so no one will pay much attention to today.  Willis won 20+ a few years ago too.  To think... I  put him on the trading block...

I don't think we have an ace.  Hill doesn't strike many out, but he could be our best pitcher.

TELL ME that we did NOT lose TWO starters after the first game!
(Image removed from quote.)

Patterson didn't look like an ace today.  Hopefully Hill will tomorrow.

As for the injuries, Guzman pulled a hamstring and should be out.  As for Logan, the X-rays were negative, so he shouldn't be out at all.

Offline metssuck

• Werth on a roll!!!!
Attendance: 40,389 (89.7% full)

ncg1983

How did Guzman pull the hammy?  i could be wrong but isn't that a pretty serious injury (6-8 weeks minimum).  if thats the case, who is going to fill in as an everyday player - lopez back to SS and belliard to 2b?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
How did Guzman pull the hammy?  i could be wrong but isn't that a pretty serious injury (6-8 weeks minimum).  if thats the case, who is going to fill in as an everyday player - lopez back to SS and belliard to 2b?

Yep, although Wilson played the rest of the game for Guzman, I wouldn't be surprised if Belliard goes to second, and Lopez goes back to shortstop.  Although I know Acta wants to give Wilson a shot.

Offline arlington

Hill probably is our best starter at the moment.  I am hopeful that he can perform well tomorrow night. 

I don't think Patterson has returned to the health he had during the middle of the 2005 season.  He wont be the dominant pitcher he was then until he has fully recovered.  He might not ever be the same pitcher, and he'll need to make adjustments accordingly.  But he certainly needs to improve in his next outings.   

Issuing 8 walks over 9 innings will not get it done against anyone.  Speigner will have outings liike this because he's not used to pitching to major leaguers every at bat.  We'll have to live with this because of the Rule 5 requirement to keep him.  Hopefully Bowie finds the form he exhibited last Summer. 

They did play error-free ball today, which is a plus. 

Need to get more clutch hits (only one hit with runners in scoring position today).  This is a problem that has plagued the Nationals since 2005.  Zimmerman is proficient at getting the big base hit.  Others will have to bear down with the runner on 3rd and two out and find a way to get him in. 

Let's get 'em tomorrow night.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Just got back from the game. During my week in ST, Patterson did not look sharp at all. He was by far the shakiest of the starters. Even Hanrahan looked better. I think they were trying to talk a good game with him, but he is still rusty. His bullpen warmup today looked terrible. He was unable to find the strikezone, and couldn't stay ahead of batters. It doesn't matter what the lineup does. This game all came down to Patterson's poor performance. Hopefully, his control issues don't last too long. But we may be better off with a couple of the other guys for the short-term.

So I am looking forward to Hill. Good crowd today. They stayed in the game as long as possible. There was a lot of energy early, but Patty really stunk up the joint.

Snelling could have been charged with an error on that one play where he completely misjudged the ball. Oh well. Losing Nook is a real defensive loss.

It was disappointing to see the pitch selection to Cabrera, but there is not much to do with him. (I still think he's the best player around given his ability to play solid defense at 3B and bat pretty close to Pujols.) Letting the bottom of the order get away made it painful, because their 1-2-3 is pretty daunting.

If Guzman needs to sit, I hope they stick with Wilson. We need a better option in the number 2 hole anyway.

Offline kimnat

Ok, here's the deal.  I was there this time.  The game stunk and I was sad.  There ya go.

Put a fork in Guzzy, he's done for now.  Nook got hurt first game of the season, hope that's not going to be a regular thing for him.  Our ace didn't ace much. Young was terrific.  Loved Zimmerman's triple.  Church made a GREAT snag, Zimmerman pulled off an excellent shot! (fell on his bum while catching a short infield pop and still tossed it to 1st throwing the guy out)

Sweet tea in the food court is great!  But the concession lines were far too long!  Some *itch was busting on me in the ladies room about the line out the door and me coming in the other side.  That really pissed me off!  I wanted to "bless" her out so bad!  She was probably the class tattle tale in elementary school!  Now she's in her mid 40's and looks like she's spent too many hours in the sun and is aging horribly.  Come back to me in another 10 and I'll still look better!  Some fans were obnoxious, but what else is new.  Wasnt' thrilled w/ Fenty tossing out an opening pitch.  We have a team, no thanks to him and he gets to toss out a ball???!!! 

On the up side, Got a hat from Chico, turned around and saw Church, so I introduced myself as "kimnat from the boards".  He was so nice but busy handing out hats.  Saw the Rushmore Four and my dad and I jumped in front of them while my sister took a pic.  We about flipped to see Teddy R. swooping in from the roof of RFK during their race.  That was wild!  You couldn't pay me enough!  Weather was beautiful.  Seeing Mickey Vernon toss out one of the ceremonial first pitches was super cool!

Overall, tough game for a home season opener.  But hey, at least it's baseball season again!  :D

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Yeah that game was a real letdown. I actually caught the bomb Cabrera hit which was OK since I owed my nephew a baseball anyway.

I'm not going to give up on Big Nasty just yet.  It is still way too early to start punting the guy.  He is probably more POed than we are over his performance but I have a feeling he will get better with time.

We will get'em tomorrow.

Offline sportsfan882

Anyone know if anything is wrong with JP?  He was just horrendous today.  I could not believe my eyes.  Ramirez and Cabrera absolutely dominated him.  The trend that worried me the most was the amount of balls our pitchers in general threw.  Our pitchers worked so slow and threw way too many balls for my liking.  Overall I was very disappointed with almost everyone except for Dmitri and Zimmerman (expected).  It seems like our lineup is much more suited to face right handed pitching though.  Our lineup is stock full of left handed hitters. Dontrelle was also very, very impressive so that made it twice as tough.  Hopefully this game is not a sign of things to come..

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
Anyone know if anything is wrong with JP?  He was just horrendous today.  I could not believe my eyes.  Ramirez and Cabrera absolutely dominated him.  The trend that worried me the most was the amount of balls our pitchers in general threw.  Our pitchers worked so slow and threw way too many balls for my liking.  Overall I was very disappointed with almost everyone except for Dmitri and Zimmerman (expected).  It seems like our lineup is much more suited to face right handed pitching though.  Our lineup is stock full of left handed hitters. Dontrelle was also very, very impressive so that made it twice as tough.  Hopefully this game is not a sign of things to come..

Patterson is still struggling to get into a good groove. His warmup in the bullpen had him struggling to find the plate. Cabrera will dominate anyone. He's the best 3B in the league and one of the best hitters in baseball. You don't shut him down, you try and contain him. Letting the 6 through 9 hitters get away does not help.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Yeah that game was a real letdown. I actually caught the bomb Cabrera hit which was OK since I owed my nephew a baseball anyway.

In a normal game, that would be no big deal, with the 20K or less crowds.  But congrats, because the great thing about this game was the huge crowds of more than 40K.  If we can get going early, we can generate some revenue and, obviously, selling tickets is a main source of revenue.  So thanks to all the people who attended today.