Author Topic: Tech News and Issues  (Read 517 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Tech News and Issues
« Topic Start: August 25, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
I couldn't find the other thread.  Here's some advice from my Post Points from the Washington Post.

The idea of updating the software in a television may sound like a bad joke, but it's a not-necessarily-unpleasant reality of today's increasingly computerized home electronics. Manufacturers sometimes ship free updates that fix problems discovered in the field or improve performance--something not possible with a simpler generation of gadgets. But a high-definition television or Blu-ray player most likely can't look for an update in the way that a copy of Windows or Mac OS X could, so it's up to you to check. Visit your device manufacturer's Web site and look for a "support" link on its home page; in most cases, after clicking on that you can check for any available updates for your gadget by typing its model number or selecting it off a list. On TVs with a USB port, installing a firmware update can be as simple as copying a file to a USB flash drive, then plugging that into the TV (as I recently discovered with a Sony HDTV). For DVD or Blu-ray players, you may have to burn the updater file to a blank CD and pop that in to the player.

-- Rob Pegoraro, Consumer Technology Columnist

Offline saltydad

Re: Tech News and Issues
« Reply #1: January 27, 2010, 01:07:01 AM »
Not sure where to put this, but I was recently in communication with Crutchfield, about their carrying (again) the Pioneer line. The Customer Service director mentioned that it has been rumored that Pioneer was considering discontinuing the Elite line (we were discussing A/V receivers). Hope not; they are top of the line in quality and reliability.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #2: January 27, 2010, 01:19:48 AM »
I know that Pioneer discontinued their TV operations.  I don't know if they sell other stuff under the Elite line, but I know that the Elite line of plasma HDTVs is no more.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #3: January 31, 2017, 03:40:52 PM »
Pro tech reviewer lets wife review horrible new curved TV

"So, this Samsung television. (Ed. note: it is a Samsung UN40K6250AF.) The screen is curved, which means that it picks up and seemingly magnifies every glimmer of light in the room. Because that’s what you want in a television screen. The curved screen demands that you sit dead center of the TV unless you want to observe the equally frustrated facial expressions of the person sitting opposite you on the couch trying in vain to see through the glare. The glare is ridiculous. It’s so completely terrible that I give up after watching something for 30 seconds and walk away whisper-yelling swears at my sucker of a husband for bringing this piece of crap into my home. This television makes me hiss in anger.

"Do you enjoy watching TV in a room with literally any light, natural or otherwise? Sorry, you can’t. On a sunny day there is exactly one cushion on our gigantic 12-person sofa from which you can see the picture on this stupendously awful television. And it’s no better at night unless you turn off every single light in the room. Which is fine for late night movie watching, but impossibly annoying at all other times. Leave the couch to get snacks or another glass of wine, and you better remember to turn off any light you use or you’ll be getting right back up again. I guess if you’re a Fitbit-obsessed step-counter like I am, that counts as one of the few pros offered by this trash heap of a television.

"Have the fools who designed this thing ever watched TV? Were they visually impaired? Was it tested in a cave? I hate it so much. It is shiny and beautiful. It is the prettiest. If you’re looking for a weird modern mirror, it’s a wonderful addition to a room. As a television, it is a piece of impulse-buy garbage designed for suckers."

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/30/14439362/samsung-curved-tv-review-un40k6250af-mistake

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: January 31, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
Pro tech reviewer lets wife review horrible new curved TV

"So, this Samsung television. (Ed. note: it is a Samsung UN40K6250AF.) The screen is curved, which means that it picks up and seemingly magnifies every glimmer of light in the room. Because that’s what you want in a television screen. The curved screen demands that you sit dead center of the TV unless you want to observe the equally frustrated facial expressions of the person sitting opposite you on the couch trying in vain to see through the glare. The glare is ridiculous. It’s so completely terrible that I give up after watching something for 30 seconds and walk away whisper-yelling swears at my sucker of a husband for bringing this piece of crap into my home. This television makes me hiss in anger.

"Do you enjoy watching TV in a room with literally any light, natural or otherwise? Sorry, you can’t. On a sunny day there is exactly one cushion on our gigantic 12-person sofa from which you can see the picture on this stupendously awful television. And it’s no better at night unless you turn off every single light in the room. Which is fine for late night movie watching, but impossibly annoying at all other times. Leave the couch to get snacks or another glass of wine, and you better remember to turn off any light you use or you’ll be getting right back up again. I guess if you’re a Fitbit-obsessed step-counter like I am, that counts as one of the few pros offered by this trash heap of a television.

"Have the fools who designed this thing ever watched TV? Were they visually impaired? Was it tested in a cave? I hate it so much. It is shiny and beautiful. It is the prettiest. If you’re looking for a weird modern mirror, it’s a wonderful addition to a room. As a television, it is a piece of impulse-buy garbage designed for suckers."

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/1/30/14439362/samsung-curved-tv-review-un40k6250af-mistake

So far, it doesn't blow up like the phones and top load washers.    There is that.