Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 163733 times)

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #1825: June 30, 2011, 12:31:25 AM »
I've got some Flying Dog IPAs and Butternuts pale ales going in the fridge right now...oddly enough, the Butternuts are hoppier.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1826: June 30, 2011, 09:36:00 AM »
Where are Butternuts from ?

I've got some Flying Dog IPAs and Butternuts pale ales going in the fridge right now...oddly enough, the Butternuts are hoppier.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1827: June 30, 2011, 09:20:27 PM »
Zymurgy magazine, the official publication of the American Homebrewers Association, has released its ninth-annual list of the 50 best beers in America. To assemble the list, its editors ask readers to submit lists of their top 20 favorite beers.

Russian River's acclaimed Pliny the Elder beer won the top slot for the third year in a row. But if you want to try it yourself, you might have a hard time. Russian River is fairly widely distributed in California, but the only state in the East Coast where you can get Pliny the Elder is Pennsylvania. (And it's scarce even there.) At least many of the others on the list (like Sierra Nevada) have strong national distribution. The top-ranked brewery, as measured by total votes for its beers, was Delaware's Dogfish Head. The brewery's highest-ranking entrant was the hop-heavy Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA, which tied for third.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/best-beers-america_n_887706.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C217577

(a few of TT's fav's highlighted)

Here's this year's full list:

1. Russian River Pliny the Elder

2. Bell’s Two Hearted Ale

3 (tie). Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

3 (tie). Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout

5. Bell’s Hopslam

6. Stone Arrogant Bastard

7. Sierra Nevada Celebration

8 (tie). Sierra Nevada Torpedo

8 (tie). Stone Ruination

10. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

11. Stone Sublimely Self Righteous

12. Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine

13. Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

14 (tie). Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter

14 (tie). Oskar Blues Dale’s Pale Ale

16 (tie). Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

16 (tie). New Glarus Belgian Red

18. North Coast Old Rasputin

19. Bell’s Expedition Stout

20 (tie). Deschutes The Abyss

20 (tie). Left Hand Milk Stout

20 (tie). Odell IPA

20 (tie). Samuel Adams Noble Pils

20 (tie). Surly Furious

20 (tie). Troegs Nugget Nectar

26 (tie). Rogue Dead Guy Ale

26 (tie). Samuel Adams Boston Lager

28. Anchor Steam

29 (tie). Bear Republic Racer 5

29 (tie). Ommegang Three Philosophers

29 (tie). Oskar Blues Ten Fidy

29 (tie). Three Floyds Alpha King

29 (tie). Three Floyds Dark Lord

34 (tie). Avery Maharaja

34 (tie). Dogfish Head Indian Brown

34 (tie). Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron   :worship:

34 (tie). Three Floyds Gumballhead

38 (tie). Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA

38 (tie). Lost Abbey Angel’s Share

38 (tie). New Belgium La Folie

38 (tie). New Belgium Ranger

38 (tie). Oskar Blues Old Chub

43 (tie). Ballast Point Sculpin IPA

43 (tie). Great Divide Yeti

43 (tie). New Belgium 1554

43 (tie). Russian River Blind Pig

43 (tie). Ska Modus Hoperandi

48 (tie). Alesmith Speedway Stout

48 (tie). Dark Horse Crooked Tree

48 (tie). Green Flash West Coast IPA

48 (tie). Summit EPA

48 (tie). Victory Prima Pils

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #1828: June 30, 2011, 09:27:46 PM »
Wow, way to go New Glarus :clap: Oustanding Wisconsin beer!

Two for Oskar Blues, too :woop:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1829: June 30, 2011, 09:41:38 PM »
Wow, way to go New Glarus :clap: Oustanding Wisconsin beer!

Two for Oskar Blues, too :woop:

3. i wonder how many others on that list are canned

• babble on
« Reply #1830: June 30, 2011, 09:44:28 PM »
The local pool joint has several of those on tap...ah, it's only 9:45, I can head over for a bit.  I'll probably wake up in the yard when the trash truck comes through at 7:00, but hey, it's a long weekend.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/30/best-beers-america_n_887706.html?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%7C217577

(a few of TT's fav's highlighted)

• babble on
« Reply #1831: June 30, 2011, 09:46:24 PM »
There are a few that I am not familiar with, but I think it is probably safe to say that those are the only ones with "pack it in, pack it out" on the label.

3. i wonder how many others on that list are canned

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1832: June 30, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »
The format of that thing sets itself up as a popularity contest, but that wouldnt explain Pliny the Elder winning. I have heard of it before. I think it won all sorts of stuff at the Great American Beer Fest. So people probably just vote for it so they dont feel dumb.  Just for craps and giggles I looked up last years results. Some brewery, Rahr, was all over the 2010 list but nowhere to be found on the 2011 list. Bell's also came out of nowhere since last year.  Guinness also was 7th in 2010?!?!?!

Last year, Rahr won by a "landslide". This year, DFH won by a "landslide". Can they put more effort into their writing?

I think this list should be pretty consistent from year to year, and near the top it seems to be

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=2010-zymurgy-best-beers-in-america-poll
for the 2010 list

Offline Dave B

« Reply #1833: June 30, 2011, 10:06:48 PM »
in honor of DFH showing up on that list, i've opened my first DFH India Brown. I didnt buy it. Somebody brought it to my last party. Tastes like most coffee/chocolate stouty things. Like brooklyn with less bite. although I am drinking it after a Flying Dog Raging nag (also from the party). Goddam 7.5% beers make getting drunk too easy.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1834: June 30, 2011, 11:38:51 PM »
I'll play pool with you - one beer per game

The local pool joint has several of those on tap...ah, it's only 9:45, I can head over for a bit.  I'll probably wake up in the yard when the trash truck comes through at 7:00, but hey, it's a long weekend.

• babble on
« Reply #1835: July 01, 2011, 12:03:14 AM »
Excellent!

They have some good ones that didn't make the list as well...a personal fave is Scrimshaw, nice north coast hops and great water in that one.
I'll play pool with you - one beer per game

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1836: July 01, 2011, 07:13:29 AM »
dave, Bell's is very good stuff.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1837: July 01, 2011, 07:39:14 AM »
While I love pale ales & IPAs, I'm not a fan of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.  Bell's Two Hearted is one of my favorites.

But Tom - I find it hard to believe there isn't one Brooklyn beer on this list

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1838: July 01, 2011, 07:43:14 AM »
Alright, I'm going to have a sip of alcohol this weekend at the Park.  What should I try?  If it helps the only non-hardcore alcohol related drink I like is cider (i.e. Woodchuck). 

Mathguy and/or Ali - what do you guys suggest?

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #1839: July 01, 2011, 07:48:01 AM »
So are you risk seeking ?  The Flying Dog Pale Ale is 2IPAs favorite.  I like the Flying Dog IPA.  You can only get these in the Red Porch,  I recommend the Flying Dog Pale Ale

Alright, I'm going to have a sip of alcohol this weekend at the Park.  What should I try?  If it helps the only non-hardcore alcohol related drink I like is cider (i.e. Woodchuck).  

Mathguy and/or Ali - what do you guys suggest?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1840: July 01, 2011, 08:23:50 AM »
So are you risk seeking ?  The Flying Dog Pale Ale is 2IPAs favorite.  I like the Flying Dog IPA.  You can only get these in the Red Porch,  I recommend the Flying Dog Pale Ale

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try tomorrow at the mid-point.

Not that this is possible but what does it taste like?  Last year I tried something at the Porch that had a really nice crisp, spicy taste to it that I really liked. 

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #1841: July 01, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
You won't find it at the ballpark, although you likely could cobble one together, but try a Shandy (shandygaff). RiRa has them, other places too.  It you like cider this is a great way to ease into beer. Snakebites are also pretty good.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1842: July 01, 2011, 08:46:14 AM »
So are you risk seeking ?  The Flying Dog Pale Ale is 2IPAs favorite.  I like the Flying Dog IPA.  You can only get these in the Red Porch,  I recommend the Flying Dog Pale Ale

They have Flying Dog IPA in bottles at the Base Line Brews behind section 314 (for those of us in Gallery seats who don't have entree into the Red Porch's hallowed portals).

Offline blue911

« Reply #1843: July 01, 2011, 08:48:24 AM »
They have Flying Dog IPA in bottles at the Base Line Brews behind section 314 (for those of us in Gallery seats who don't have entree into the Red Porch's hallowed portals).

Tell them you know me and they'll let you in  :lol:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1844: July 01, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »

:doh:

OldChelsea, I think you must have me and others on ignore, but I will try again anyway (for probably the 8th time) since I must like  :bang:

The Red Porch, Red Loft, and other attractions across the park from your seats are NOT RESTRICTED AS TO WHO MAY ENTER.  YOU DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL PASS, TICKETS FOR CERTAIN SECTIONS, OR PAY AN ENTRANCE FEE OR OTHERWISE DO ANYTHING TO GET IN OTHER THAN SHOW UP AND REQUEST ADMITTANCE (IN THE CASE OF THE RED PORCH) OR JUST WALK INTO THE AREA (IN THE CASE OF THE RED LOFT).
 :roll:

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #1845: July 01, 2011, 09:24:40 AM »

OldChelsea, I think you must have me and others on ignore, but I will try again anyway (for probably the 8th time) since I must like  :bang:

The Red Porch, Red Loft, and other attractions across the park from your seats are NOT RESTRICTED AS TO WHO MAY ENTER.  YOU DO NOT NEED A SPECIAL PASS, TICKETS FOR CERTAIN SECTIONS, OR PAY AN ENTRANCE FEE OR OTHERWISE DO ANYTHING TO GET IN OTHER THAN SHOW UP AND REQUEST ADMITTANCE (IN THE CASE OF THE RED PORCH) OR JUST WALK INTO THE AREA (IN THE CASE OF THE RED LOFT).

Seriously, a real trend is people buying 5-10 dollar seats and spending the whole game at the Loft perches.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1846: July 01, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
Seriously, a real trend is people buying 5-10 dollar seats and spending the whole game at the Loft perches.

For walk-up games I usually just get the $5 seats and move around.  The Marlins series will be like that for sure.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1847: July 01, 2011, 10:03:13 AM »

OldChelsea, I think you must have me and others on ignore, but I will try again anyway (for probably the 8th time) since I must like  :bang:

Well, tell that to the steward I talked to earlier this season (must have been a moonlighting Verizon Centre 100-level steward - the nastiest, most confrontational people you'll ever find in an official position at a sports ground hereabouts)...tell that to the stewards I've seen running secondary ticket checks on the approaches to the Loft in past seasons (admittedly haven't seen that lately though)...and also tell that to the people who run the Nats website, where the Porch is not mentioned at all except in the A-Z Fan Guide (in connection with Red Porch seating - which I know quite well is supposed to be quite a different entity from mere access to the Porch itself - the place is nonetheless completely absent from the site's concessions list).

As one who was once threatened with season-ticket confiscation by a Phone Booth steward five years ago for trying to go into the 100 level to watch a Caps pre-match skate (despite being assured by Caps Guest Services that the level was all-access during that pre-match skate, and showing the steward an E-mail from Guest Services to that effect) I have quite a low threshold of tolerance for rubbish of that sort. I haven't the first idea what is actually on offer at the Red Porch/Loft (apart from some Leinie-type offerings visible from outside at the former), but even if they have Zlatorog lager and Old Speckled Hen ale on draught, plus The Singleton of Auchroisk single-malt Scotch whisky, it just isn't worth that sort of aggravation - especially given the physical distance from TBSITH.

One finds enough aggravation in one's working life - one shouldn't have to deal with such aggravation in one's leisure pursuits (I get enough of the latter with Metro as it is).

[and I don't have anyone here on ignore]

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #1848: July 01, 2011, 10:36:51 AM »
Well, tell that to the steward I talked to earlier this season (must have been a moonlighting Verizon Centre 100-level steward - the nastiest, most confrontational people you'll ever find in an official position at a sports ground hereabouts)...tell that to the stewards I've seen running secondary ticket checks on the approaches to the Loft in past seasons (admittedly haven't seen that lately though)...and also tell that to the people who run the Nats website, where the Porch is not mentioned at all except in the A-Z Fan Guide (in connection with Red Porch seating - which I know quite well is supposed to be quite a different entity from mere access to the Porch itself - the place is nonetheless completely absent from the site's concessions list).

I go to the Loft every time I come to Nats Park, and have never been asked for a ticket because they simply don't do that.  They DO close off certain areas adjacent to the Loft (in the direction of the Scoreboard Walk area) for private functions from time to time, but the Loft has always been open to the general ticket holding public.

The Porch entry is like any restaurant - you may have to wait for a table, or you can simply walk past the attendant by saying you are going to the bar.  The Porch bar is where the best beer can generally be found.  I will typically buy one there, then head up the stairs to the Loft and its superior vantage point.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1849: July 01, 2011, 11:07:43 AM »
Went to doener bistro in leesburg yesterday, great selection of German beers and some pretty decent food in an outdoor bier garden setting. Highly recommended. I had a draft weihenstephaner hefe