Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30583 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #450: September 14, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
He probably still needs to get his shoulder cleaned up after the season. He may be trying to make adjustments on the fly when he throws the ball overhand. I know it's been an on-going problem - seems particularly so this year since the shoulder stuff.

We should see what happens in the off season.

I'm wondering if the long term affects of cortisone injections are going to come back to haunt him on that one.

:lol:

I'm still right. Dude was awful and it was due to injury. Injury he knew he had and wasn't treating. He shouldn't have been hitting third.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #451: September 14, 2012, 07:37:43 PM »
I'm wondering if the long term affects of cortisone injections are going to come back to haunt him on that one.

Time will tell, but it's certainly fortuitous that he hasn't needed another one (knock on wood)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #452: September 14, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
He's had two injections, right? He'll be okay.

I'm still right. Dude was awful and it was due to injury. Injury he knew he had and wasn't treating. He shouldn't have been hitting third.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #453: September 14, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
How do we know he's only had two injections? And we're also not done with the season. He could get two more before he's done playing. Four is a lot in a season.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #454: September 14, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
We don't. He could have had two or a dozen. But as careful as Rizzo is with players...
How do we know he's only had two injections? And we're also not done with the season. He could get two more before he's done playing. Four is a lot in a season.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #455: September 14, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »

With the benefit of hindsight, all he needed was a cortisone shot and it's off to the races.  No need for a shutdown.   Can't see how you think you're right on this one.   :shrug:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #456: September 14, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
With the benefit of hindsight, all he needed was a cortisone shot and it's off to the races.  No need for a shutdown.   Can't see how you think you're right on this one.   :shrug:

Then why did he wait so long to get the shot? The fact that he wasn't willing/able to get the shot and couldn't hit proves my point. He should not have been hitting third for the 40 games prior when his shoulder prevented him from hitting anything

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #457: November 21, 2012, 03:19:53 PM »
Zimmerman just won the award for most appearances on MLB Network Plays of the Week. 21 weeks he made the show.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #458: November 21, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Zimmerman LaRoche just won the award for most appearances on MLB Network Plays of the Week. 21 weeks he made the show.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #459: November 21, 2012, 03:33:26 PM »

Nope. Not a misprint.

LaRoche only had to catch a few bounced throws.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #460: November 21, 2012, 04:52:49 PM »
It's not exactly coincidental that Zimmy's throwing yips tended to be around the time he needed a cortizone shot. I think he'll be fine at 3rd next year and quite a few more years from now.

Online zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #462: November 28, 2012, 11:21:12 PM »
Don't worry, he will.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #463: November 29, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Am I the only person who has zero concern about Zimmerman's ability to return to form?  Zim is completely elite and we know he had shoulder problems last year.  It's not like the talent magically disappeared.  If he can stay healthy, it's all still there.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #464: November 29, 2012, 12:10:36 PM »
Am I the only person who has zero concern about Zimmerman's ability to return to form?  Zim is completely elite and we know he had shoulder problems last year.  It's not like the talent magically disappeared.  If he can stay healthy, it's all still there.
This is not the first year he's had shoulder issues or throwing issues.

Offline mimontero88

• The GOAT
« Reply #465: November 29, 2012, 01:54:51 PM »
As a whole in 2012 even with all the issues Zimmerman batted .282/.346/.478 with 25 homers and 95 RBI.  I'll take that from a 3B any day.  And that's with the injuries.  If he can stay healthy it only gets better.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #466: November 29, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »
As a whole in 2012 even with all the issues Zimmerman batted .282/.346/.478 with 25 homers and 95 RBI.  I'll take that from a 3B any day.  And that's with the injuries.  If he can stay healthy it only gets better.

I'm not so much concerned about the bat as I am his throwing ability. His fielding is fantastic, but if he's going to have a ton of throwing errors due to shoulder issues, he can't stay there. Especially if Rendon is raking in the minors. I don't want to see him forced to move to first, but we can't let homerism blind us to obvious problems.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #467: November 29, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
I'm not so much concerned about the bat as I am his throwing ability. His fielding is fantastic, but if he's going to have a ton of throwing errors due to shoulder issues, he can't stay there. Especially if Rendon is raking in the minors. I don't want to see him forced to move to first, but we can't let homerism blind us to obvious problems.

I agree but I'm willing to give him another chance next year to see if the surgery will help.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #468: November 29, 2012, 03:31:39 PM »

Why don't you want to see him at first?  Someone did a comparison, and when healthy, Zimmerman's bat is perfectly in line with 1B production.  I think he would be an elite defender at 1st as well.

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #469: November 29, 2012, 03:33:07 PM »
Why don't you want to see him at first?  Someone did a comparison, and when healthy, Zimmerman's bat is perfectly in line with 1B production.  I think he would be an elite defender at 1st as well.

Well if he can fix his throwing issues he'll always be more valuable at third than at first.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #470: November 29, 2012, 03:47:02 PM »
Well if he can fix his throwing issues he'll always be more valuable at third than at first.

The question what gives you the MOST value overall?  Zimmerman at 1st with Rendon at 3rd?  Other way around?  Rendon on 2nd, Zimm on 3rd and someone else on first?

I'm stubborn and sticking with Danny at 2nd.  I think Zimmerman will profile as a better 1B than Rendon.  I think best value is Zimmerman moving to first.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #471: November 29, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
The question what gives you the MOST value overall?  Zimmerman at 1st with Rendon at 3rd?  Other way around?  Rendon on 2nd, Zimm on 3rd and someone else on first?

I'm stubborn and sticking with Danny at 2nd.  I think Zimmerman will profile as a better 1B than Rendon.  I think best value is Zimmerman moving to first.

In that case, the question is about which bats are best in the line up, I take Rendon + Zimmerman + typical first baseman over Zimmerman + Rendon + Danny, but that assumes Rendon can handle second

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #472: November 29, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »
I don't care if he fixes his throwing or not. His throwing errors simply don't overshadow his amazing range.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #473: November 29, 2012, 03:52:37 PM »
If it is Rendon and RZ at the corners, then I think the shift to first may give you better value if it keeps both on the field.  If they view Rendon as a potential 2d baseman, then it makes sense to give RZ every chance to play 3d and hope that between Skole and Moore you have a 1st baseman or at least a solid

<===============

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?