Author Topic: an opinion offered to moderators  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Knight

an opinion offered to moderators
« Topic Start: October 05, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »
Obviously there are a lot of new members joining, so you should defer to the 'legacy" of the long time members.  But I find it really annoying that so many threads get merged.   I do not want to sift through 30 or more posts to find something relevant to what is happening right now.  And certainly, for some threads, it's 30 pages or so.  Please don't merge everything that is possibly somewhat related in anyway.  Different people have different thoughts and twists and it's fun to have different threads that aren't so long.  If something is already 30 posts when I first see it, I won't bother.   If you reply to one of the first few posts, it could be irrelevant by the time you get through the other replies.   I have been on several other sports boards boards for years and they do it much differently.  I know some things should be merged, say if three people post the starting time of a game , etc.  Just my opinion.  Thanks for listening!   Great board by the way.

Offline hammondsnats

Re: an opinion offered to moderators
« Reply #1: October 05, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
^

everyone has an opinion, but most of us that have been here for years, trust me it's not good to have all that clutter on the front page.  some of these threads are the same exact f'n thing.  "what time is the start time for game 1" ... "guess what time you think the start time is for game 1" ... "anybody know what time first pitch for game 1 is" ... it becomes a hassle.

only crappy threads like "Send Bryce Down Until He Grows Up" get to stay open, because it's such an awful thread.

Offline Knight

« Reply #2: October 05, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
I said the threads about start times, etc in my example should be merged.    And yes, I understand it's an opinion.  And I understand long timers rule.   I've just seen it done differently in a way I like much better.   

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #3: October 05, 2012, 11:54:18 AM »
Isn't there a thread for board suggestions???

Hello MERGE!!

:)

I actually don't have an opinion about this - I really don't care how many threads there are

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #4: October 05, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »
I actually want more merged threads. All a matter of preference, I suppose.

Offline Hondo

« Reply #5: October 05, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »
I agree with the OP, but I'm just happy there are not multiple forums like there use to be, that was awful. I remember writing a suggestion like OP and getting killed for it.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #6: October 05, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
I agree.  The more threads about Bryce Harper, John Lannan,  and discussing the start time of each game, the better.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #7: October 05, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »
I actually want more merged threads.

This.

Damn I hope Knight didn't just awaken the sleeping dog that is Hondo.  :?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #8: October 05, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
Just checked the moderation log.  We have had 3 threads merged in 3 days.  "playoff roster" and "playoff rotation" were merged to create "playoff roster and rotation (merged)."  The rotation thread was sort of dormant but folks were posting about the Lannan v. Jackson start in the roster thread, so the two seemed to go together.

There was a post asking for a new smiley, perhaps by a new poster.  Well, we have a smiley request thread sticked to the top of the suggestions forum.  Hard to miss it.

finally, the playoff GDT thread was broken out of who is at bat for the next GDT thread because the season is over.

IOW - there is no problem here that I can see.  But that is my opinion.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #9: October 05, 2012, 01:46:46 PM »
I myself am annoyed by proliferation of threads. We should just merge everything to one super, uber mega-thread called "Natitude: Love it or Leave it". Bandwagon posters be damned.

;)

:lmao:

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #10: October 05, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
Why anyone should care about this either way is beyond me.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #11: October 05, 2012, 03:02:13 PM »
I agree with the OP, but I'm just happy there are not multiple forums like there use to be, that was awful. I remember writing a suggestion like OP and getting killed for it.

The thread in question:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=7005.100

I'm not seeing that you got "killed" but certainly there were some posters then (as now) with stronger opinions on it than others.  You asked about it several times, so that could have contributed to what you perceive as backlash.

It's worth noting that at the time that thread took place, KenzaFan was a moderator and tomterp was not.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #12: October 05, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
and knight, thanks for your input.  Rest assured that the subject of when to merge and when not to merge is discussed frequently by the mods and I behind closed doors.  There is also a thread started by JCA that seeks feedback on moderator policies, I welcome you to join in.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #13: October 05, 2012, 03:04:46 PM »
and knight, thanks for your input.  Rest assured that the subject of when to merge and when not to merge is discussed frequently by the mods and I behind closed doors.  There is also a thread started by JCA that seeks feedback on moderator policies, I welcome you to join in.

Can you fit more than one person in that trashcan?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #14: October 05, 2012, 03:19:03 PM »

do you guys just meet up in a shed and drink beers and talk crap about posters?

b/c that's how these "Chief and Goonies" play out in my mind.

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
« Reply #15: October 05, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
Why anyone should care about this either way is beyond me.

:clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: October 05, 2012, 10:40:36 PM »
do you guys just meet up in a shed and drink beers and talk crap about posters?

It's called "The Red Loft", and only posters who show up are invited.

:poke:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #17: October 05, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
Hammonds was there briefly when people thought I was Hammonds.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #18: October 05, 2012, 11:26:01 PM »
Sometimes people create posts at the same time!  I kmiw Ive searched for previous postings finding none.  No sooner I post it. 2 show up!  I ask for mergers!