Author Topic: Nationals Park Questions? (2011-2014)  (Read 171596 times)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: Nationals Park Questions?
« Reply #350: June 22, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »
So can you only take sealed water bottles in? What about containers like Clean Canteens? I see them around the park. Are people just filling them up at water fountains?

They have to be empty and if you ask nicely the concession people I'll give you ice, assuming the cooling rooms aren't available.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #351: June 22, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
The bar at the Red Porch has water coolers dispensing water during these hot games.  A good place to fill up.

They have to be empty and if you ask nicely the concession people I'll give you ice, assuming the cooling rooms aren't available.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #352: June 22, 2012, 04:57:24 PM »
The rule is sealed water bottles, but enforcement is mixed.

I've never done it, but stick a water bottle in your pocket. Long as you don't have a short shirt, they never check. I'm addicted to pineapple juice, always thought about putting it in a water bottle and doing that. You can put anything in your pockets and bring it in, they never check.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #353: June 22, 2012, 11:12:04 PM »
I've never done it, but stick a water bottle in your pocket. Long as you don't have a short shirt, they never check. I'm addicted to pineapple juice, always thought about putting it in a water bottle and doing that. You can put anything in your pockets and bring it in, they never check.
I've actually never have had a problem with water bottles they inspect. I have been sure to bring clear or semi clear cycling water bottles either empty or filled with ice water. I just tell them it has water inside and they let me through. Worst that could happen is I just dump the contents in the trash and being an empty bottle in.

Never tried bringing opaque bottles in.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #354: June 23, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »
...someday, flared/semiflared jeans/trousers (popular in the late 1960's) will come back into fashion and smuggling-into-ballparks will be roses, roses, roses all the way....

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #355: June 24, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
If anyone wants to borrow some of my old super-fat-days shorts they have giant pockets that the secuirty people never check (unless the Phillies are in town).  They're a size 62 though, bring a belt.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #356: June 24, 2012, 11:26:30 AM »
If anyone wants to borrow some of my old super-fat-days shorts they have giant pockets that the secuirty people never check (unless the Phillies are in town).  They're a size 62 though, bring a belt.

Bring a belt? Or a friend to jump in there with you!

Offline markfnc

« Reply #357: June 27, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
We are coming for the July 5th game agaisnt the Giants.  We want to get there when gates open at 4:30.  about how long would it take from Vienna station (end of orange line to get to the ballpark greenline)?

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #358: June 27, 2012, 11:52:34 AM »
We are coming for the July 5th game agaisnt the Giants.  We want to get there when gates open at 4:30.  about how long would it take from Vienna station (end of orange line to get to the ballpark greenline)?

About as much time as it would take to drive to the park and back.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #359: June 27, 2012, 11:58:30 AM »
The Metro website can give you all that information, particularly in terms of when you want to leave or arrive

http://www.wmata.com/

Online blue911

« Reply #360: June 27, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »

You might want to check out the Ballpark bus.

http://www.ballparkbus.com/

Offline markfnc

« Reply #361: June 27, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »
Thanks math guy.   47 min.  not too bad!

Itinerary 1   (approx 47 min transit) [-] Collapse Rail Departs from
VIENNA METRO STATION
at 3:00pm
Board
ORANGE LINE  Rail
towards NEW CARROLLTON
Arrive
 » L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION
at 3:34pm
Rail Departs from
   L'ENFANT PLAZA METRO STATION
at 3:43pm
Board
GREEN LINE  Rail
towards BRANCH AVE
Arrive
» NAVY YARD METRO STATION
at 3:47pm

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #362: June 28, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
About as much time as it would take to drive to the park and back.

Longer than that.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #363: June 28, 2012, 12:40:44 PM »

You can count on waiting 15-30 minutes at L'Enfant after the game to switch from Green to Orange.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #364: June 28, 2012, 01:58:15 PM »
You can count on waiting 15-30 minutes at L'Enfant after the game to switch from Green to Orange.

...the one small mercy is that since it's a mid-week match at least they shouldn't have any major track-work going on at the time (I emphasise SHOULDN'T - they haven't posted anything on the site, and the Orange line is a prime location for this with that Silver line project going in between East and West Falls Church).

Online RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #365: June 28, 2012, 05:39:03 PM »

Service shouldn't be too bad going in since trains will be running on a rush hour schedule (though the last weekinight game I attended against the Rays, I waited at L'Enfant Plaza and watched FOUR yellow line trains go by before a lone green line, which was already crammed to the gills).  It sounds like you'll be okay boarding at Vienna around 3:00.  With Metro though, be prepared for anything.  Going back to that last game I went to, I got on at West Falls Church around 4:30-4:45.  There was an out-of-service train parked on the platform, preventing inbound trains from entering the station.  After about 15 minutes, someone must have found the keys, so they moved it out of the way and into the pocket track there.  Two stops into the ride, the train broke down, so we had to offload and then cram onto the next train. 

Offline markfnc

« Reply #366: June 29, 2012, 07:13:49 AM »

To us it is much better than driving in and paying to park.  Plus the kid loves riding the train. 

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #367: June 29, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »
Now that the crowds are bigger, you really ought to consider walking to Cap South if you are catching the Orange.  If you are with kids who can move along or adults who don't mind a walk, it is pretty easy, you can get a seat, and you don't get the sardine effect on the platform.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #368: June 29, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
To us it is much better than driving in and paying to park.  Plus the kid loves riding the train. 

With Metro prices it costs less to park than to take a family round trip on the train.  Rush hour getting to the park is hell but getting home from the game at 10:30 instead of 11:30 is real nice.

Offline markfnc

« Reply #369: June 29, 2012, 04:52:57 PM »
With Metro prices it costs less to park than to take a family round trip on the train.  Rush hour getting to the park is hell but getting home from the game at 10:30 instead of 11:30 is real nice.

we will have the day pass at $9/ea = $27 total. round trip regualr would be $30 for the 3 of us, which is cheaper than parking, but we had planeed on the day pass anyways to get around and to the game.  thansk for advice though.

Online RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #370: June 29, 2012, 05:56:31 PM »
we will have the day pass at $9/ea = $27 total. round trip regualr would be $30 for the 3 of us, which is cheaper than parking, but we had planeed on the day pass anyways to get around and to the game.  thansk for advice though.

The day pass goes up to $14 on July 1:  http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/metro_service_status/advisories.cfm?AID=1086.  The big difference is that they will be valid at all times; previously, with the $9 pass, they were not valid before 9:30 a.m. weekdays.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #371: June 29, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »

How's that?  Parking at the lot right across the street is only $25 and there are cheaper lots if you are willing to walk a few blocks.

From JD Land:

http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium-parking.cfm?tab=no3

Offline markfnc

« Reply #372: June 29, 2012, 08:37:15 PM »
How's that?  Parking at the lot right across the street is only $25 and there are cheaper lots if you are willing to walk a few blocks.

From JD Land:
(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.jdland.com/dc/stadium-parking.cfm?tab=no3

we are already getting the day pass anyways.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #373: June 29, 2012, 09:17:34 PM »
Another idea from Alexandria or Crystal City is take the Yellow Line past L'Fant Plaza and get off at Archives.  Then catch the Green Line to the ballpark.  Archives is much easier and less crowded than at L'Fant Plaza.

Now that the crowds are bigger, you really ought to consider walking to Cap South if you are catching the Orange.  If you are with kids who can move along or adults who don't mind a walk, it is pretty easy, you can get a seat, and you don't get the sardine effect on the platform.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #374: June 29, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »
Convenient how Bus and rail prices go up BEFORE July 4th!