Author Topic: Android Thread  (Read 43740 times)

Offline hammondsnats

Re: Android Thread
« Reply #325: December 13, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
Anyone use Skype or Face Time on their Droid?

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #326: December 14, 2012, 11:59:52 AM »
Anyone use Skype or Face Time on their Droid?

using facetime on a droid would be an interesting trick.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #327: December 14, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
using facetime on a droid would be an interesting trick.

i've never used it before, but there's a fake facetime on droid i heard that is available.

again i have never used it before or really don't know anything about those programs.  i have skype on my laptop, but that's it.

Online imref

« Reply #328: December 14, 2012, 05:44:57 PM »
i've never used it before, but there's a fake facetime on droid i heard that is available.

again i have never used it before or really don't know anything about those programs.  i have skype on my laptop, but that's it.

i've used skype for IM and voice on my iphone and facetime for video, quality is pretty good.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #329: December 18, 2012, 02:47:44 AM »
CyanogenMod 10.1 nightly aww yeah!

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #330: December 18, 2012, 06:22:39 AM »
i've used skype for IM and voice on my iphone and facetime for video, quality is pretty good.

how well does Skype video work on the iPhone?  I just made myself a skype account and I'm gonna start putting it to some decent use.

you know that MS is making Skype their main messaging service right? Windows Live Messenger is going the way of the dodo.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #331: December 18, 2012, 07:19:13 AM »
We use Skype on our iphone to video chat with my sister in law so the cousins can know each other,  it's not great quality,  but good enough

Online imref

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #333: December 28, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
Ok, I plan to renew my contract with AT&T in Feb, but I'm not sure what phone to go with. My funds are limited, so I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible for a smart phone. Any suggestions? I don't care whether it's a droid or iPhone as I have no loyalty to either. Just looking for bang for the buck etc... I'd like one that has a decent hdd to use instead of my iPod at the gym, but it's not a deal breaker.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #334: December 28, 2012, 02:38:08 PM »
Ok, I plan to renew my contract with AT&T in Feb, but I'm not sure what phone to go with. My funds are limited, so I'm looking to spend under $100 if possible for a smart phone. Any suggestions? I don't care whether it's a droid or iPhone as I have no loyalty to either. Just looking for bang for the buck etc... I'd like one that has a decent hdd to use instead of my iPod at the gym, but it's not a deal breaker.

is your contract expiring? If so, you're getting ripped off if you're not taking full advantage of the subsidy (for instance, an unlocked iphone 5 16 gb can be had for $750, so you save $550 whereas and HTC ONE X- a good phone- is $400 off contract, $100 on, so you're savings is only $300). I'd consider a Nexus 4- starting at $299 (currently sold out) straight from google (more initial outlay) and the going prepay (more than making up for the initial outlay)

Offline Nathan

« Reply #335: December 28, 2012, 06:33:05 PM »
My friend just got a RAZR M which are available online for $50.  You can still get the Galaxy Nexus for under $100 too I believe.  I'd recommend a Nexus phone because it's not skinned and laden with carrier bloatware.

I just got myself a Nexus 7 tablet the other day, any good must-have tablet apps?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #336: December 30, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
Competition and all that.  Google Nav is the easy slam-dunk choice on Android.  Still, I'd be shocked if whatever's so great about this new iOS version didn't make it to Android in short order.

Google nav freaks up at the worst times. It directed me to a bus stop when I was looking for a restaurant. It reset when no cell signal was available and wiped all the directions out while I was on a highway. It directed me to a house instead of my dr's office when I was late for a procedure.

I downloaded Waze but there's some privacy issues so I never activated it.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #337: December 30, 2012, 03:00:33 PM »
My friend just got a RAZR M which are available online for $50.  You can still get the Galaxy Nexus for under $100 too I believe.  I'd recommend a Nexus phone because it's not skinned and laden with carrier bloatware.

I just got myself a Nexus 7 tablet the other day, any good must-have tablet apps?

I'm seriously considering a prepaid Galaxy S2 4G - but those are different than the Nexus, no? Do they have Nexi that work on the Sprint network?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #338: December 30, 2012, 03:05:36 PM »
I'm seriously considering a prepaid Galaxy S2 4G - but those are different than the Nexus, no? Do they have Nexi that work on the Sprint network?

Those aren't stock android but you could unlock the bootloader, root, and install a custom ROM.

Galaxy Nexus is on Sprint and apparently on sale for one penny.
http://www.sprint.com/landings/galaxy-nexus-4g-lte/index.html

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #339: December 30, 2012, 03:08:18 PM »
Those aren't stock android but you could unlock the bootloader, root, and install a custom ROM.

Galaxy Nexus is on Sprint and apparently on sale for one penny.
http://www.sprint.com/landings/galaxy-nexus-4g-lte/index.html

Cool thanks, but I'd get it contract free if I bought it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #340: December 30, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
(insert name of GPS-based service here) freaks up at the worst times. It directed me to a bus stop when I was looking for a restaurant. It reset when no cell signal was available and wiped all the directions out while I was on a highway. It directed me to a house instead of my dr's office when I was late for a procedure.

Fixed, IMO.  Layers upon layers of imperfect technology.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #341: December 30, 2012, 07:41:50 PM »

I think contract free nexi tend to be gsm (att and tmobil) Not cdma (Verizon and sprint)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #342: December 30, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »

Per Consumers December Electronics Magazine: 
1.  HTC ONE X
2.  Galaxy II Skyrocket
3.  GALAXY NOTE = $250
4.  LG NITRO HD -  FREE with 2 year sign up.
5.  HTC VIVID
6.  GALAXY SII
7.  Samsung Infuse 4G
8.  Motorola Atrix 2 4G

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #343: December 30, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »
Per Consumers December Electronics Magazine: 
1.  HTC ONE X
2.  Galaxy II Skyrocket
3.  GALAXY NOTE = $250
4.  LG NITRO HD -  FREE with 2 year sign up.
5.  HTC VIVID
6.  GALAXY SII
7.  Samsung Infuse 4G
8.  Motorola Atrix 2 4G

Maybe I will get the S2 but it is 350 bucks . . .

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #344: December 30, 2012, 09:34:06 PM »
Get the nexus if you're going prepay- Two generations newer

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #345: January 02, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
I just tried nova and apex for the first time, both look better and are smoother than touchwiz but too bad the default s-calendar widget won't work with either and I can't find any thing nearly as good (4 x 4 widget with month view and legible daily entries) -  any one have any suggestions?

Offline Coladar

« Reply #346: January 10, 2013, 07:58:19 AM »
Anyone else using a Nexus 10? God damn what an awesome tablet. Perfection with a screen.

Only loss is not having expansion memory slot. But a 1.7ghz processor, 2gb RAM (Yes Chief, I still need more RAMZ!!! I need at least 128GB to run Android. 1/64th of the way there! What can I say, I love to be RAMmed up the wazoo with RAM.) and a 300 freaking DPI screen owns all. Just came yesterday and I'm already smitten with it.

I await MDS' inevitable renewal of nagging from my last upgrade, the Acer A700 in June. This is my fourth Android tablet in 14 months, so I'm sure that deserves some scorn... I got the Acer for the screen, but it blew chunks for processing. I got fed up last week when it was locking up for 45 seconds every 30 seconds. Meaning I wasted more time staring at a frozen screen than I did using the damn thing.

The ASUS Transformer from Feb 2012 was good. Before that I dipped my toes into android from Ipad when HP cleared their stock for $100 last year, and it performed about as low as the price. The Nexus is the first tablet where, hardware and wowfactor wise, I've thought 'Apple only wishes they had an iPad as nice as this baby.' The screen is simply stunning. If you're on the fence for a new tablet, get off it and buy a Nexus.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #347: January 10, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »
Can I has ur old one?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #348: February 20, 2013, 07:20:08 AM »
Swift plus swipe is awesome

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #349: February 20, 2013, 03:36:41 PM »
Just got the notification to turn it on. It fits my one handed style. I'm liking it a lot.

Swift plus swipe is awesome