Author Topic: Classic meltdown over the Mets  (Read 1160 times)

Offline PC

Re: Classic meltdown over the Mets
« Reply #1: August 24, 2012, 09:55:01 AM »
Thanks for moving it for me from Red Loft.

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: August 24, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
I love that he pronounces his last name as "Franceser".

Offline blue911

« Reply #3: August 24, 2012, 10:22:34 AM »
Welch, Isn't Francesa a Yankee fan?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #4: August 24, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
Welch, Isn't Francesa a Yankee fan?

Yes. But everybody in NY is a Yankees fan, except for die-hards in Brooklyn and Queens, and except for that odd stretch in the late '80s when the Mets were very good.

Francesa and Chris Russo ("Mike and the Mad Dog") were the original brainless screamers on "sports talk radio". My son used to listen to them when he was a teenager...early '90s...but most of what I remember is that they drew listeners who would call to propose three team 6-player swaps, concluding, "Doesn't that make sense? Why not trade [5 Yankees] to the A's for [4 A's] and swap [3 of the A's] to Seattle for Griffey Junior? Huh? Shouldn't they make that deal?"

Offline blue911

« Reply #5: August 24, 2012, 10:53:56 AM »
Yes. But everybody in NY is a Yankees fan, except for die-hards in Brooklyn and Queens, and except for that odd stretch in the late '80s when the Mets were very good.

Francesa and Chris Russo ("Mike and the Mad Dog") were the original brainless screamers on "sports talk radio". My son used to listen to them when he was a teenager...early '90s...but most of what I remember is that they drew listeners who would call to propose three team 6-player swaps, concluding, "Doesn't that make sense? Why not trade [5 Yankees] to the A's for [4 A's] and swap [3 of the A's] to Seattle for Griffey Junior? Huh? Shouldn't they make that deal?"

I liked Bill Mazer but that was about it. I've always thought that Russo was a Pete Franklin clone.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #6: August 24, 2012, 11:17:44 AM »
Oh man, that made me so happy. Especially the bit where he says Terry Collins should jump off a building.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #7: August 24, 2012, 12:28:47 PM »
I'm not the biggest Francesa fan but he's absolutely right. Being swept at home by the Rockies is the lowest of low.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #8: August 24, 2012, 12:30:21 PM »
He sounds like an angry Ray Ramano.

Offline NatMan

« Reply #9: August 24, 2012, 01:39:13 PM »
Mets suck!   Couldnt happen to a worse fan base. 

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #10: August 24, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
I'm not the biggest Francesa fan but he's absolutely right. Being swept at home by the Rockies is the lowest of low.

Nationals Park, 18th-19th-20th August 2009...two one-run losses and a 4-1 finale loss...Huston Street saves all three matches.

Such was Nats baseball in the year of the Nightmare Nine of '09.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: August 24, 2012, 02:01:03 PM »
Mets suck!   Couldnt happen to a worse fan base. 

Yes it could. Phillies fans.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #12: August 24, 2012, 02:24:45 PM »
Nationals Park, 18th-19th-20th August 2009...two one-run losses and a 4-1 finale loss...Huston Street saves all three matches.

Such was Nats baseball in the year of the Nightmare Nine of '09.

But that Rockies team made the playoffs. I was referring to this year's Rockies, who are one of the worst, most talentless teams in all of MLB.

Offline blue911

« Reply #13: August 24, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
But that Rockies team made the playoffs. I was referring to this year's Rockies, who are one of the worst, most talentless teams in all of MLB.

I hope the Astros sweep them as well.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #14: August 24, 2012, 02:29:57 PM »

...and who yet took two of three from us at Nats Park just before the All-Star break this season. Playoff year or cellar-dweller, they just have our number.

Offline Clever

« Reply #15: August 24, 2012, 09:46:25 PM »
I would like to point out that our woes against the Rockies were prior to the hitting explosion.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #16: August 24, 2012, 11:04:14 PM »
OK...finally had a chance to listen to Francesa, who doesn't even need Chris "Mad Dog" Russo to sound like...well, in the olden dayes, Francesa was the sober, thoughtful, smart guy and the godawful Mad Dog was just maddog.

Point one, for context: nobody ever takes the Mets seriously. Remember the 2000 WS, when Temo Martinez slowed to watch the home-run-that-wasn't hit the top of the wall, pop back to David Justice, who fired to Jeter who threw to Posada who tagged Temo? That is the eternal Mets, aside from the '69 WS and the '86 season.

Point two, for even broader context: Francesa was the smart one in the pair with Chris Russo. As best I remember, Don Imus was a funny guy with his morning show on that station...until it became a sports-talk station. Imus used to do skits about Radio Reverend Billy Joe Haggerty..."everybody put your hand on the radio and as we pray together if you'll just send me a check for $25 for a guaranteed prayer rug"...or the interview with John DeLorean's coke-dealer.

Russo ruined Imus. Took away his inventiveness. Russo would do his hour or two of sports screaming, 6am to 8 or so, and Imus would just begin the show: "That guy is an idiot". Imus no longer had to work to be funny...just point to Russo, make his voice deeper, and say four or five words.

Imus leaves, so WFAN teams Francesa with Mad Dog Russo. All WFAN needs now is somebody to burp loudly at the end of a Francesa howl.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #17: August 25, 2012, 11:08:51 AM »
Mr Met is on (suicide) watch!  Funny!

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #18: August 25, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »
I would like to point out that our woes against the Rockies were prior to the hitting explosion.

It was subsequent to Zimmerman's explosion, though.