Author Topic: Microsoft thread  (Read 63254 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: Microsoft thread
« Reply #1050: May 26, 2015, 09:08:19 PM »
Powerpoint is so last century.  Sway is the future!!!

https://sway.com/

Microsoft is building sway into office 365.  Delve is pretty cool too.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1051: May 27, 2015, 08:51:36 AM »
Microsoft is building sway into office 365.  Delve is pretty cool too.

You can look for that to make its way into federal government use right around the time I get off the waiting list for a new kidney.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1052: May 27, 2015, 01:23:50 PM »
You can look for that to make its way into federal government use right around the time I get off the waiting list for a new kidney.
I am so  sick and tired of the clearance process for software by the IT / CSIRC folks.  We are still migrating from IE9 to IE11 or 13, only because that is no longer supported and incompatible with sharepoint.  Whichever browser I have can't handle my private webmail.  I definitely need my own server and email address.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1053: May 27, 2015, 01:24:37 PM »
I am so  sick and tired of the clearance process for software by the IT / CSIRC folks.  We are still migrating from IE9 to IE11 or 13, only because that is no longer supported and incompatible with sharepoint.  Whichever browser I have can't handle my private webmail.  I definitely need my own server and email address.

Is this Hillary?     :)

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #1054: May 27, 2015, 02:02:58 PM »
IT is a funny world in the federal sector. I worked at State dept for a while and I was always able to access my private email. (Not sure why that didn't work for Hilary). When I left and went to another less sensitive agency they had yahoo and Gmail and even comcast blocked. It's all subjective and dependent on who is running the show, how much pressure they are getting from the politically to loosen things and also how much the IG is hammering them.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1055: June 14, 2015, 03:43:11 PM »
so..what's up with Windows 10?

apparently I get to upgrade to it for free at the end of July...

Offline PC

« Reply #1056: June 14, 2015, 04:54:22 PM »
so..what's up with Windows 10?

apparently I get to upgrade to it for free at the end of July...

You do if you have a legit copy of Windows 7 or 8.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1057: June 15, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
My 2 cents: Wait to upgrade for three months at least. Maybe six.  I know a lot of folks like to be all in, but I find the MS experience is best when they've released SP1 for a product. It's completely free, no strings attached for the first year after release, even if your copy of Windows is using a counterfeit copy your friend's 'hacker' brother installed on your box when he sold it to you cheap.

That said, it's absolutely hands down an upgrade over 7 and 8, and it represents a massive shift in the Microsoft mentality. I don't know who pulled the trigger but it's the most impactful decision for them in ... ever? They decided to create a unified platform across all devices and realized the only way to do it was make it an all in play.  Forget the money you could get for the OS. Focus on the money you can get if you can capture a piece of the mobile market. 

By making a unified platform and codebase, developers will be a lot less hesitant to jump on board.  They'll have a client base of hundreds of millions with the same version of the same OS and completely rewritten mechanics under the hood to make drivers easier than ever to deal with.  Microsoft finally woke up and decided to fire back at Google and Apple. They've done so with all guns blazing.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1058: June 15, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
Win 10 is where they get Win 8 right. :)  I've heard nothing but good things from those that are conducting pilots.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1059: June 15, 2015, 12:27:37 PM »
So what aspects are different or have been improved ?

Win 10 is where they get Win 8 right. :)  I've heard nothing but good things from those that are conducting pilots.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1060: June 15, 2015, 12:31:39 PM »
They brought back the Windows 7 style look if you are using a desktop or a convertible tablet with keyboard attached. Click the start button and you get the Win 7 style menu with the Win 8 tiles docked to the side of it to provide for the app like programs.

When you undock the keyboard or if the device is purely mobile, it uses the tile based touch screen interface the entire time.

By upgrading the existing ecosystem to Win 10, it means user mode 4 print drivers will be everywhere.  They're similar to Apple's AirPrint idea. Essentially, you'd have a list of printers nearby that you could print to. No need to bother with drivers and such no matter the device.

There's general performance upgrades in the underbelly of it all which means it simply runs faster than Win 7 would on the same hardware.  Can breathe new life into older machines as a result.

Offline PC

« Reply #1061: June 15, 2015, 05:17:45 PM »
My 2 cents: Wait to upgrade for three months at least. Maybe six.  I know a lot of folks like to be all in, but I find the MS experience is best when they've released SP1 for a product. It's completely free, no strings attached for the first year after release, even if your copy of Windows is using a counterfeit copy your friend's 'hacker' brother installed on your box when he sold it to you cheap.

Not true.  You have to have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or 8.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #1062: June 15, 2015, 06:20:05 PM »
Not true.  You have to have a legitimate copy of Windows 7 or 8.

It seems like you don't.  Non-genuine copies of 7 or 8 can upgrade to 10 but it remains as a non-genuine copy.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1063: June 30, 2015, 03:19:44 PM »
Yeah, it looks like they updated to clarify their stance. Initially, it read as non-genuine could update without issue. Now they clarified it to watermarked non-genuine and are hinting at a cheap fee to legitimize it.

From a May 15th article:
"Until now, Microsoft had painted a picture where all Windows 7 and 8 users would be entitled to a free upgrade, regardless of whether or not their version was genuine. This was widely seen as clever move to bring users with non-genuine versions, often in developing nations, into the lawful fold; however, Myerson’s latest blog post backtracks on this prospect."

Full article: http://www.microscope.co.uk/news/4500246435/Non-Genuine-Windows-7-8-users-can-upgrade-to-Non-Genuine-Windows-10

Still recommend holding off, but also still recommend updating.

Offline PC

« Reply #1064: June 30, 2015, 05:37:30 PM »
It's less than a month to RTM and they released preview build 10158 yesterday and preview build 10159.  That's a first for the  Windows Insider program, two release builds in 24 hours.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1065: June 30, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
8.1 is perfect and 10 preview has a long way to go. Been using it every day for months. I would NOT be in a hurry to upgrade.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1066: June 30, 2015, 06:24:09 PM »
Where TF is the Surface 3 4g/LTE version? They still don't even have a release date for it, I'm going to lose my mind.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #1067: June 30, 2015, 06:26:32 PM »
8.1 is perfect and 10 preview has a long way to go. Been using it every day for months. I would NOT be in a hurry to upgrade.

This mirrors my feelings as well.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #1068: July 01, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »
ha, by the end of this month, I may well have a Chromebook.

literally the only two things I use on my Computer right now are 1)Chrome and 2) Hearthstone.

that's it.

I'm not sure I really NEED a windows laptop at all, to be honest. but I've got one for now, so we'll see how this Windows 10 goes.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1069: July 03, 2015, 02:21:36 PM »
Okay actually this newest update 10162 seems much better. Only been using it for half a day but it seems much closer to a release than past versions.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1070: July 15, 2015, 11:45:44 AM »
This is of interest (maybe) to those of you (Kevrock) who deploy o365 to companies on a regular basis.  I'm playing with a new method to make this work - specifically, I'm exporting all their mail from their existing server, creating their Office 365 container, adding their domain and verifying it, adding the user accounts but NOT completing the domain DNS entries.

At that point, I'm configuring Outlook 2013 with connections to the new Office 365 accounts using manual configuration.  You'll need to use PowerShell to get the GUID for each domain (d380c7eb-1c1a-43a3-a677-41bc73c57e87@example.com as an example) that you'll use for the server entry in the manual config. You'll also need to just ignore/no the autodiscover prompts when Outlook is opened because it'll want to connect you to their live site assuming proper configuration.

The way I'm currently using this is for a remote heavy security company. Lots of field employees who only use email on their phone. By uploading the mail ahead of time, they'll have their mail, calendar and contacts instantly out the gate.  For the in house employees, I'm doing much the same by preloading an Outlook profile. Autodiscover is fighting me harder in house since it's got more than just an external DNS and 443 connection - it can go straight to the server. Haven't nailed down that part yet, but will update if I do.

Here's the article on how to configure the profile (and the Azure commands needed to get the GUIDs):  http://blog.bittitan.com/2014/11/25/how-to-manually-configure-outlook-for-office-365/

There's a second option to this that I used for moving companies from one Office 365 container to another - buy a cheap .info or .xyz domain (like 3$ a year for reg) and use it to effectively do the web hosted version of an SBS swing migration with a transition server.  Set up the throwaway domain completely, export mail from the current user's Outlook, config a profile for the new, upload it and let it all sync. Do this over a weekend well before the move to give it plenty of time of remoting in at night and letting it sync to be sure it's all there, but reverting back to user's normal profile so they can keep doing their work.

The night before (or morning of depending how phone reliant the office is) cutover the DNS, do one final export to the same PST you made before, not exporting duplicates, connect to the new profile and import (again without duplicates).  They'll be up and operational with all mail, calendar and contacts immediately.  If you use this method from an onsite Exchange box, you'll just need to change the default UIN for each account (doable with powershell). If you're changing o365 containers, you'll need to delete the old mailboxes and domain before you can add it to the new container of course.  This takes between 15 and 30 mins for most accounts to start receiving mail but I had one server that didn't get the message for about 4 hours.  Definitely better to cut the domain over the night before in most cases like this.

Been pretty pleased with the results so far. Customers are -really- happy to be able to get back to desktop Outlook in under an hour and have all mail, calendar and contacts available immediately; no sync delay as PST imports to new profile then syncs to phone.  This is especially helpful for those giant OST files from the users that simply refuse to do any sort of email pruning whatsoever.  Happy to answer any questions or discuss it on PM for those who do deploy o365. This is probably boring as hell for non-IT small business support folks.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1071: July 15, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »
This sounds cool but I'm confused, are you doing this primarily to eliminate sync time on the new profile?

I don't do PST imports, I always use MigrationWiz. At like $8 per user it saves so much time on any migration that it's worth it.

This is hazy, I've been doing more strategy consulting and haven't done a cutover migration for a while. I did lead a 250 seat hybrid deployment earlier this year though.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #1072: July 15, 2015, 03:17:24 PM »
This sounds cool but I'm confused, are you doing this primarily to eliminate sync time on the new profile?

I don't do PST imports, I always use MigrationWiz. At like $8 per user it saves so much time on any migration that it's worth it.

This is hazy, I've been doing more strategy consulting and haven't done a cutover migration for a while. I did lead a 250 seat hybrid deployment earlier this year though.

Ah, yes. This is for avoiding sync time. Basically my company tends to target folks a lot smaller than 250 seat deployments (like the 5-50 range).  They're also too cheap to spend the $8 per user.  So essentially I've been playing with ways of figuring out how to prevent folks using webmail for a day to get incoming new mail and waiting on profile sync (since mail delivery is really spotty and off when it syncs).

With a quick scan of the MigrationWiz page, it looks like you'd still need to wait for the OST to sync?  Also does it move over NK2/Autocomplete Steam files? They don't mention it as a feature so either it does and they consider that 'duh' or it doesn't and they expect users to deal. If your clients like it, I'm guessing the former.

Offline PC

« Reply #1073: July 15, 2015, 05:54:16 PM »
Windows 10 Build 10240 has dropped.  We're closing in on RTM!

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1074: July 15, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »
Ah, yes. This is for avoiding sync time. Basically my company tends to target folks a lot smaller than 250 seat deployments (like the 5-50 range).  They're also too cheap to spend the $8 per user.  So essentially I've been playing with ways of figuring out how to prevent folks using webmail for a day to get incoming new mail and waiting on profile sync (since mail delivery is really spotty and off when it syncs).

With a quick scan of the MigrationWiz page, it looks like you'd still need to wait for the OST to sync?  Also does it move over NK2/Autocomplete Steam files? They don't mention it as a feature so either it does and they consider that 'duh' or it doesn't and they expect users to deal. If your clients like it, I'm guessing the former.

n2k is manual I think but low effort. (https://community.bittitan.com/kb/Pages/How%20will%20suggested%20contacts%20and%20auto%20complete%20list%20be%20migrated.aspx)

OST still has to sync. MW just migrates all the email in multiple passes.

Interesting that you say that email delivery is spotty during OST sync, I had never noticed / heard that. If doing a cutover we would do all the computers over the weekend anyway, though, using remote access or physical access. Cutovers are always pretty small.

Your tricks are good ideas to keep in mind for sure.