Author Topic: Nats won't spend big (Zuckerman, Washington Times)  (Read 3619 times)

natsfan1a

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
And in that same article, Bowden refused to be interviewed. Does that mean the article is right and Bowden doesn't want to admit it, or does it mean the Nats are trying to stay under the radar and make a big signing without anything accidentally or not, being leaked to the press? We wont know the answer to that until the frenzy is over.

What should we expect, more of what they've been doing in the past and that's signing 2nd and 3rd tier players to one year contracts and trying to acquire players for the farm system. I don't mind at all getting players to help improve the Nats double and triple A teams, but not if they use it as an excuse to not build a stronger Major League club. To me, that would be nothing more than the Nats acting like a small market team, using small market mentality of signing players and praying for miracles and lightning in a bottle.

The Nats will have a new ball park, more revenues because of they new park, more money to spend, and what is everyone saying? That the Nats wont spend the bucks to improve the team, unless they can get a player at a bargain price... To me that's a big cop-out. And the more I hear from Kasten, the less I am of the plan. Why, because there is no will to sign a player that can help the prospects get themselves more ready to play in the show. I am not at all impressed with the attitude/spin I'm hearing from the Nats front office, not impressed at all.

I would love for the Nats to surprise me and sign or trade for the players that can not only help them get over the .500 mark and be competitive and in the race into the month of September, but the Nats keep on walking the same road, and so far that road has led them to being the worst offensive team in the National League.

Bowden says the Nats need a big bat in the middle of the lineup, a center fielder, a leadoff hitter and a veteran pitcher to help anchor the rotation and help the young pitchers on the staff. That's 4 things he says the Nats need and how many they will fill?

Maybe someone should do a poll to find out how many of those four needs everyone thinks the Nats will fill.

BTW, I'm not being negative, I'm not very optimistic that the Nats will do anything more than they've done in the past.

Geez, only what? A week or two into the off season?

Until something or nothing happens, no need to get worked up about anything.  Winter Meetings are still in front of us as well as the majority of the rest of the off season.  Lets see what happens.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Here we are, 13 hours into the free agent signing period, and not ONE damned free agent signed yet. 

#$%@#    :rant:

Here we are, 13 hours into the free agent signing period, and not ONE damned free agent signed yet.   #$%@#    :rant:

Your right!  The Plan has failed!  We need to burn down the new stadium!  Fire and tar the Lerners!  Bowden needs to be frozen in carbonite!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan

Until something or nothing happens, no need to get worked up about anything.  Winter Meetings are still in front of us as well as the majority of the rest of the off season.  Lets see what happens.

My post was about my expectations, which are based on the history of this franchise. We could be two weeks before spring training and unless the Nats pulled off a surprise signing (something this franchise has never been known for) I would be feeling pretty much the same way.

I cant be the only person who is hearing the same old song about not spending money. We are hearing it from Bowden (when he dares speak), we are hearing it from Kasten every time he talks about the Nats. I cant be the only one who's hearing what's being said, so you'll have to excuse me if I don't walk around expecting miracles to happen, nor do I live in a fantasy world. I see reality, and the Washington Nationals reality so far, is the same old, same old...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

I cant be the only person who is hearing the same old song about not spending money.

You definitely aren't the only one. I have not believed a word Kasten has said since he took over. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll spend money this offseason. They're hoping to cash in on the new stadium while keeping fans' hopes alive that eventually their plan will work out. The increase in payroll may just be the raises some players are due plus the signings of Young, Belliard and some other castoffs. I definitely want to see some improvement on the field next season but my hopes are tied to 2009 and beyond. It may no be a good idea to spend money this offseason anyway. I don't want them to spend money just for the sake of spending it, (see Washington Redskins).

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
It's as though everyone is sitting around waiting for something big to happen, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but they act like something big will happen.

If that's what any of you is expecting will happen, then please, show me when it's happened before, give me the name of one big free agent signing by the Washington Nationals, or even by the Expos when they were in Montreal. Every time this franchise has had a player who was at the point where he would cost money to keep, the team has either traded or let that player test the market and sign elsewhere.

And please, don't point towards Guzman, because he wasn't a big signing, not by any stretch of the imagination. Not the extensions to Johnson or Schneider, because neither is a top player at their position, nor should they have been given the money.

I await the long list of names that will be tossed at me... Throw hard, because you'll be light on substance to throw.

Offline spidernat

You won't get any such list but I'm hoping things will change now that the franchise is in Washington and has new ownership. Their honeymoon will soon be over so they can't keep repeating platitudes forever without actually doing something of substance. But I don't expect any big signing this offseason. But please NO MORE walking wounded roster.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
You definitely aren't the only one. I have not believed a word Kasten has said since he took over. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they'll spend money this offseason. They're hoping to cash in on the new stadium while keeping fans' hopes alive that eventually their plan will work out. The increase in payroll may just be the raises some players are due plus the signings of Young, Belliard and some other castoffs. I definitely want to see some improvement on the field next season but my hopes are tied to 2009 and beyond. It may no be a good idea to spend money this offseason anyway. I don't want them to spend money just for the sake of spending it, (see Washington Redskins).

We all hope they will spend at least enough to fill the major needs properly. I for one am tired of getting players that "if healthy" or that "if he gets back to form" end up playing for the Nats because no one else wants them. For once I would love to be the envy of other clubs, to have other free agents turn their eyes towards DC as a serious player. But so far, the only remotely close to serious playing the Nats have done, is in signing a 16 year old SS from the Dominican Republic.

Yes, I want all the farm teams to have tons of talent that every other team in baseball wants, but I only see the end product, not what's happening day to day on the farm. I'm not gonna pay to watch minor league games on MiLB.TV, when I can pay almost the same price for the MLB options with my satellite provider. I watch and follow the big club, and it's the parent club I want to see flourish. I couldn't care a less if the Nats farm teams win championships, or if they finish dead last, because I watch and follow the Washington Nationals.

As much as any other Nats fan, I want the Nats to get the right players, not leftovers. I'm tired of getting what's left, I'm tired of having to root for players that are here to use the Nats as a stepping stone. I'm tired of hoping we can win. I want to get the same good feeling I had in the early 90's, that the team would win.

If people don't like what I want, TOUGH!

Offline spidernat

We all hope they will spend at least enough to fill the major needs properly. I for one am tired of getting players that "if healthy" or that "if he gets back to form" end up playing for the Nats because no one else wants them.

:rofl: We have a ton of these projects that need crutches or slings to keep the together.

I watch and follow the big club, and it's the parent club I want to see flourish. I couldn't care a less if the Nats farm teams win championships, or if they finish dead last, because I watch and follow the Washington Nationals.

As much as any other Nats fan, I want the Nats to get the right players, not leftovers. I'm tired of getting what's left, I'm tired of having to root for players that are here to use the Nats as a stepping stone.

QFT   :clap:

Offline kimnat

I :rofl: ed at Ken's last line.  Did ya' stomp your foot when you said that?  ;)

I see reality

Usually the ones that say this are usually the ones that don't or they are trying to sell something.

No, we hear the same thing.  It is no secret they aren't going to be spending BIG money.  So whats your point?  We know your impatient, heck, we all are.  We want a winning team in DC.  But regurgitating crap we already know and ******** when nothing (for better or worse) has happened is pointless unless your Ken Rosenthal.

Let's see what ACTUALLY happens in the reality you speak of rather than depending on the crystal ball of your "in depth personal experience" before we start digging the grave for the 08' team.

EDIT: And yes, I am tired of used cars too.

Offline ronnynat

maybe Bowden doesn't like Zuckerman

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
But so far, the only remotely close to serious playing the Nats have done, is in signing a 16 year old SS from the Dominican Republic.

I think having their draft ranked #1 by Baseball America was the most significant "serious playing" the Nats have done yet.  And they achieved that by drafting guys that were considered to be among the top available and not avoiding those percieved to have a problem signing, like McGeary, who was avoided by other teams.  Nats were very aggressive, they paid over slot to get guys signed.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from.  Nats have yet to sign anybody of real significance, though they've done some nice trades.  We'd all like to see them step up in class.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I :rofl: ed at Ken's last line.  Did ya' stomp your foot when you said that?  ;)

I'm not the foot stomping type. I leave that to spoiled brats, you know, like Yankee and Mets fans... ;) ;) nudge, nudge...

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
I think having their draft ranked #1 by Baseball America was the most significant "serious playing" the Nats have done yet.  And they achieved that by drafting guys that were considered to be among the top available and not avoiding those percieved to have a problem signing, like McGeary, who was avoided by other teams.  Nats were very aggressive, they paid over slot to get guys signed.

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you're coming from.  Nats have yet to sign anybody of real significance, though they've done some nice trades.  We'd all like to see them step up in class.

As I said, I really don't care how good or bad the farm system is, or how good or bad the draft it. A good drafts only gives us more future potential to talk about, it's no guarantee that the team will be successful anytime in the future. Most fans, myself among them, see more of what is happening at the big league level than in the minors. That's why we rely on blog sites like Farm Authority to keep us up to date on the goings on. If those site didn't exist we'd see only the Major League club, and only rarely hear about who is doing what in the minors.

Like everyone, I was really impressed with the Nats draft, and even more impressed that they were able to sign their top 20 picks. Even with a great draft, I'm still waiting to hear about all the "international" players they've signed. As much as there are great players there, the Dominican Republic to me is not synonymous with the word international. We only recently read that the Nats were in Japan and Korea talking to people and checking out some players. If the Washington Nationals are going to be a truly international team, it would be nice to hear a little more international news. Oh hell, now I'm starting to ramble, so I better can it for now...

But before I click post, excuse me while I reach over you, to pass NOTLD a pair of rose colored glasses and a bucket he can use to hold all his crap. Maybe I'll buy him a porta-potty on wheels.... :D

But before I click post, excuse me while I reach over you, to pass NOTLD a pair of rose colored glasses and a bucket he can use to hold all his crap. Maybe I'll buy him a porta-potty on wheels.... :D

LOL, ole Kenny boy, you continue to prove that crap just doesn't come out of people's asses.  Carry on you Prozac chewing fool!  :lol:

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
LOL, ole Kenny boy, you continue to prove that crap just doesn't come out of people's asses.  Carry on you Prozac chewing fool!  :lol:

Once again you've proven that your favorite pastime in this forum, is dumping on people. You don't give a rats ass about one person in this forum, because the only opinion you care about is yours, the only facts you care about are the ones you spit out. It's a good thing you're impressed by your verbal conveyances, you certainly don't impress me... You never did...

Oh, and speaking of a rats ass...

natsfan1a

Don't forget the Phillies fans (wink wink)! ;)

I'm not the foot stomping type. I leave that to spoiled brats, you know, like Yankee and Mets fans... ;) ;) nudge, nudge...

Once again you've proven that your favorite pastime in this forum, is dumping on people. You don't give a rats ass about one person in this forum, because the only opinion you care about is yours, the only facts you care about are the ones you spit out. It's a good thing you're impressed by your verbal conveyances, you certainly don't impress me... You never did...

Oh, and speaking of a rats ass...

Wow, if that accusation doesn't reek of the "kettle calling the pot" I really don't know what does.

I'm not the one who started making crap up about glasses and porta-potties.  I simply questioned your logic in nagging when there is nothing to nag about....yet.  I even agreed with you on points. 

If you want to sling your **** around Ken, thats fine but if you sling it, you better prepare to take some back.  If you can't handle that, go cry somewhere else.

Offline El Kabong

Your right!  The Plan has failed!  We need to burn down the new stadium!  Fire and tar the Lerners!  Bowden needs to be frozen in carbonite!

Grumble grumble!!!  We need Dan Snyder to buy the Nats.  After all, we know that Mr. Snyder is the gold standard of owners in this area with all the money he spends.

Oh, wait...

Offline spidernat

Kasten was on the John Riggins show and he stated that the plan is still to complete replenishing the farm system so that it is considered in the elite group of farm systems. He went on to say that it will take one more year to get there (listening to that guy's BS is like listening to someone scratching a blackboard). He said the Nats have spent the most in MLB as far as resources in scouts, farm system and he even mentioned free agents. He tried to lend authority to his words by saying that he doesn't know anyone that has signed more free agents than he has (I have a smiley that fits here but it is too vulgar and I want to show respect for kimnat and natsfan1a). When asked about how he plans to improve the team for next season to put butts in the seats he said the fans have fallen in love with the team and Manny Acta already and they have seen how good they can be (I don't think he watched many games in 2007). Basically he was saying that the new stadium will be what they will rely on to attract fans. They are going to milk the new stadium for what it's worth and not spend money until they absolutely have to. He talked about how well the season ticket sales are going and plugged the website and phone number to call for tickets ad naseum (it was really annoying). Again, I don't know about you guys (especially those with the rose colored glasses) but I'm not buying his snake-oil until I see some ACTUAL results.

Offline kimnat

So are you like Mully and slam your fist through the wall?  just kidding.  But my Diva 6 yo daughter sure knows how to stomp!  And brat is very fitting at those moments!

Kasten was on the John Riggins show and he stated that the plan is still to complete replenishing the farm system so that it is considered in the elite group of farm systems. He went on to say that it will take one more year to get there (listening to that guy's BS is like listening to someone scratching a blackboard). He said the Nats have spent the most in MLB as far as resources in scouts, farm system and he even mentioned free agents. He tried to lend authority to his words by saying that he doesn't know anyone that has signed more free agents than he has (I have a smiley that fits here but it is too vulgar and I want to show respect for kimnat and natsfan1a). When asked about how he plans to improve the team for next season to put butts in the seats he said the fans have fallen in love with the team and Manny Acta already and they have seen how good they can be (I don't think he watched many games in 2007). Basically he was saying that the new stadium will be what they will rely on to attract fans. They are going to milk the new stadium for what it's worth and not spend money until they absolutely have to. He talked about how well the season ticket sales are going and plugged the website and phone number to call for tickets ad naseum (it was really annoying). Again, I don't know about you guys (especially those with the rose colored glasses) but I'm not buying his snake-oil until I see some ACTUAL results.

As fans of this team and fans that hope we build a contender with staying power (not flavor of the month-one time only in the playoffs status) I find it hard for anyone to be completely scoffing at the idea that a well stocked farm system is needed.  To not pay attention to what is basically the bread and butter of any team foundation is pretty much team suicide.  We have evidence of this when the Expos system was stripped clean.  Unfortunately, we have to clean up the mess and that takes time.  No amount of arguing will make that go faster.  It also takes time for the newly hired (scouts, etc.) to get into place and really get the ball rolling.  Its not like they were hired and boom: instant gratification.  The steps we have taken so far such as an outstanding draft, the new hires, and looking abroad have put us well on the right track.  In that respect, I agree with Kasten.

I do not know exactly where he gets "signed the most free agents" argument.  He could be including those 21 minor leaguers last season to his total but he really should of counted "quality free agent signings."  Of those, he has not made that many.  I also do not agree with relying on just the stadium to bring in people.  That might work for a total max of four months but it is always, ALWAYS, the product on the field that keeps people in the seats and brings them to that new stadium.

Plenty of work to do.  There is evidence to support they are going in the right direction in some areas and not so much in others.