Author Topic: Improving the team  (Read 3248 times)

Online HalfSmokes

Re: Improving the team
« Reply #25: January 23, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
Still need another pitcher

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: January 23, 2016, 01:58:41 PM »

Always use another pitcher.   :)

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #27: January 23, 2016, 02:00:03 PM »

I'm not convinced Papelbon is any good as a closer, so that is where I think the Nats need another pitcher. Also, if we are pointing out inefficiencies, the Nats need more production from the Catcher position and can use a more stable bat than Werth and Zim. I like CRob, but I think he is due to fall off a bit.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #28: January 23, 2016, 02:04:51 PM »
The nats rotation as it stands is two great pitchers, one ok pitcher on the downside of his career, then two huge question marks

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #29: January 23, 2016, 02:35:05 PM »
He's not filthy like he once was. He'd probably be an okay setup guy though.

I'm not convinced Papelbon is any good as a closer, so that is where I think the Nats need another pitcher. Also, if we are pointing out inefficiencies, the Nats need more production from the Catcher position and can use a more stable bat than Werth and Zim. I like CRob, but I think he is due to fall off a bit.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #30: January 23, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
Did yunz have G. C. Murphy?    OTG, I don't recall a Woolworths.    My bad.    I remember Woolworths but I don't recall ever bein' in one (or even seein' one).

Never heard of Murphy's...but there ya go...  :thumbs:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #31: January 23, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
Always use another pitcher.   :)
I'll pick one up for you at CCSP tonight when I go stir crazy. 

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #32: January 23, 2016, 03:52:19 PM »
Are they open ?  Employees getting to work can be tricky

I'll pick one up for you at CCSP tonight when I go stir crazy. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #33: January 23, 2016, 04:12:10 PM »

Very little seems to be open from media reports.  For example, Reston Town Center and all of its many restaurants and bars were evidently closed.  Plenty of people live there now and you'd think they could do a booming business if a few could open. 

Offline DC Baseball 34

« Reply #34: January 23, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »
Gotta imagine CarGo is the next target for the OF, Rockies have 4 starting OF's.... Center a package around a SP other then Little Gio and Wilmer...

Gonzalez-Revere-Harper or Harper-Revere-Gonzalez

Revere
Rendon
Harper
Gonzalez
Zimmerman
Murphy
Ramos
Espinosa

Yes please!

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #35: January 23, 2016, 04:23:42 PM »
Very little seems to be open from media reports.  For example, Reston Town Center and all of its many restaurants and bars were evidently closed.  Plenty of people live there now and you'd think they could do a booming business if a few could open. 

What are the odds that kitchen staffs or wait staffs can afford to live there?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #36: January 23, 2016, 04:57:21 PM »
Did yunz have G. C. Murphy?    OTG, I don't recall a Woolworths.    My bad.    I remember Woolworths but I don't recall ever bein' in one (or even seein' one).

We had a Murphy's at Prince George's Plaza...it and Hecht's were the "anchor" stores.

The big 5&10 in DC was Kresge's, as best I remember. We used to shop at the store in Queenstown...when we lived in Michigan Park, NE and then in Lewisdale / West Hyattsville. Roy Sievers lived in the Kaywood Apartments, just downhill from Queenstown.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #37: January 23, 2016, 05:48:10 PM »
We had a Murphy's at Prince George's Plaza...it and Hecht's were the "anchor" stores

I think the Woodward and Lothrups was as much an anchor as Hechts.   

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #38: January 23, 2016, 05:52:37 PM »
I think the Woodward and Lothrups was as much an anchor as Hechts.

My mother-in-law worked at a Woodward and Lothrups in downtown DC in the early '60's...

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #39: January 23, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »

of course!  they have their own generators, and are open every day, including Christmas and Ground Hog Day.  It is a routine in the neighborhood to go there when you lose your electricity.  They put staff up in the hotels, and the owners are all within walking distance.  The day guy for today was in yesterday when the snow starts and was going to stay a block away so he could be there for his shift and possibly cover if some folks could not make it in.  Now I'm not sure their satellite TVs are working . . .

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #40: January 23, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »
What are the odds that kitchen staffs or wait staffs can afford to live there?

Very few, but most not too far away in Herndon.

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #41: January 23, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Improve the team?   They are on a razors edge.  If all breaks well we should be good, if not we are probably toast anyway.  Injury to or sub performance by Stras or Scherzer would be a disaster.  The only exception is the bullpen which I still see as week on paper.  Would like to see another move there. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #42: January 23, 2016, 11:24:49 PM »
Improve the team?   They are on a razors edge.  If all breaks well we should be good, if not we are probably toast anyway.  Injury to or sub performance by Stras or Scherzer would be a disaster.  The only exception is the bullpen which I still see as week on paper.  Would like to see another move there. 

It's all on Harper's shoulders again next year, there's nobody else to carry the offense.  Murphy and Espinosa are upgrades over Escobar and Desmond IMHO though.  We've taken a step down in CF (versus a healthy Span).  The rotation is worse.  Hopefully the pen is improved.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #43: January 24, 2016, 07:21:57 AM »
Very few, but most not too far away in Herndon.

My, aren't we a bit poofy?

Offline raleighnat

« Reply #44: January 24, 2016, 11:17:09 AM »
It's all on Harper's shoulders again next year, there's nobody else to carry the offense.  Murphy and Espinosa are upgrades over Escobar and Desmond IMHO though.  We've taken a step down in CF (versus a healthy Span).  The rotation is worse.  Hopefully the pen is improved.

A healthy year from Zimm would go a long ways to protecting Harper.   We forget how good he is when healthy. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #45: January 24, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »
A healthy year from Zimm would go a long ways to protecting Harper.   We forget how good he is when healthy. 
We forget because we can't remember

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #46: January 24, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »
The hitting depends too much on Werth and Zimmerman being healthy, but none of the remaining free agents are strong hitters. This is a "hold your breath and hope for no injuries" season.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #47: January 24, 2016, 08:18:51 PM »
Werth for shields?

Offline whytev

« Reply #48: January 24, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
Still want Blackmon or Dickerson > CarGo. One has to be on the move since they signed Parra, right?

I assume they want pitching.  Nobody will sign there.  I wish we had more pitching to get one of those guys.  Would Cole plus a couple pieces get one of those guys, or is he currently exposes as AAAA?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #49: January 24, 2016, 09:29:29 PM »
I assume they want pitching.  Nobody will sign there.  I wish we had more pitching to get one of those guys.  Would Cole plus a couple pieces get one of those guys, or is he currently exposes as AAAA?

Lol not without more